Waiver for SD Local--also to include HD local?

bookwalk

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2005
I currently have a waiver for my loca FOX station and so I can get Dish's WFLD Chicago FOX station--SD, but if they go HD, will that automatically be included or will I need another waiver--if that is even possible?

Seperate waivers, but those rules don't kick in until June, which is what charlie mentioned on the chat.

Dish could provide HD distants to those that are in an analog white area right now and do not have their locals are not on dish, but it sounds like dish will be waiting until June to offer any further distants, but that could always change

The satellite law differentiates between analog and digital for DNS, in my own case all the Portland affiliates consider analog and digital waivers to be separate requests. How Dish is going to handle this process is unclear, but it looks like we are going to have to wait awhile.

NightRyder

I have had NY and LA locals for years and had Atlanta as well until I was forced to choose distants or local. I dumped Atlanta and now have just the distants. I can't pick up anything OTA. Wonder what HD options I will have? Guess I'll have to wait until the new rules take effect in June.

BFG said:
Seperate waivers, but those rules don't kick in until June, which is what charlie mentioned on the chat.

Dish could provide HD distants to those that are in an analog white area right now and do not have their locals are not on dish, but it sounds like dish will be waiting until June to offer any further distants, but that could always change

Bryan, Bryan, Bryan,

Just cuz Chuck mentioned in in the chat doesn't make it so. While Dish may be choosing to not provide HD DNS until June, he shouldn't be blaming it on the laws. He could legally provide distant digitals to qualifing subs right now if he wanted.

If fact the FCC has "scolded" DBS for blaming their "business" decision to not provide digital distants to qualifing subs on the law or FCC rules.

What changes (and I've said this in 20 different threads in the past 2 days) in June has to do with testing for a digital signal.

As I understand it, anyone that isn't predicted to be "served" under the existing Longley-Rice prediction model is eligable for digital distant network feeds - regardless of whether their satellite company offers analog LiLs for your dma.

If you are predicted to be "served" then you currently don't have the signal test "appeal" process. That's what's supposed to come in June for the top 100 dmas (June 'o7 for the rest). You do however still have the waiver option but you're totally at the mercy of the afilliate on this.

Congress came out last month and said that they felt the existing L-R prediction model, long used to predict anaolg signals, was also adequate for digial signal prediction, so at this point it remains in effect - it never left. The recent FCC report to congress does talk about other factors that might degrade digital reception like noise and multipath and recommends Congress act to address those.

1. In short, digital distants (HD DNS) have been allowed right along but the qualification determination has been linked to the old analog prediction model.

2. There's nothing in the law that states DBS must provide them but the FCC has asked DBS to stop blaming their business decisions to either not provide them ("E") or impeed who qualifies ("D") on the FCC or current laws.

3. Whether or not your DBS company offers analog LiLs has NOTHING to do with if you qualify for digital distants (HD DNS), other than if you qualify for HD DNS and they DO offer analog LiLs, you MUST sub to them also.

4. If and when your DBS provider offers HD LiLs in your dma, they must take your HD DNS away.

Nice summary Walt.

Am I correct in the assumption that a subscriber is only allowed Digital DNS from their own timezone? No Eastern DNS for West coast and vise-versa.

NightRyder

I have a waiver for 3 of the 4 networks.
The waiver from CBS allowed Dish to turn on CBS-HD for me. A waiver for SD usually includes everything.

Derwin0 said:
I have a waiver for 3 of the 4 networks.
The waiver from CBS allowed Dish to turn on CBS-HD for me. A waiver for SD usually includes everything.
Not necessarily the case anymore.

This digital transition is a learning process for all that's still evolving.

One adjustment has been separating digital from analog and realizing that all the same rules can't continue to apply to both. Where before a waiver was a waiver and pretty cut and dried, now we're hearing about "HD Only" waivers and limited time waivers and letters of no objection, etc.

It all boils down to a turf war over who gets the right to sell you the product. What complicates it is copywrite law.

If everyone was honest and used common sense, it would be easier. But that's not the case on either side. Customers who can receive the product from their local aren't content and want to manipulate the system into getting more. Affiliates know this and try to overkill control and customers that really can't get the product OTA end up loosing. Affiliates on the other hand try to get something for nothing by trying to claim viewers who can't really see their product or provide a watered down product in place of the real thing. Throw in the dishonesty of politicians, the power of lobbyists and the greed of service providers and it makes for a real mess of which the ambiguity of the '04 SHVERA is a perfect example. I almost think some in the FCC is trying to straighten some of this out but they're being pulled in two different directions and they don't appear to have enough backbone to take a stand.

My problem in Corpus Christi Texas is with Fox. The local Fox affiliate is a low power station and has no plans to upgrade to digital.

I can receive a very poor quality analog signal from them. Dish has no locals for Corpus Christi.

Does this mean that in June I can get a waiver to pick up a Fox national feed?

I live smack dab in the middle of PA without any reception whatsoever over the air.

Right now I have:

All the networks in the Harrisburg PA market

All the west coast networks (LA)

WCBS (New York) in HD

Plus all the superstations.

I was told that I would be able to pick up the rest of the networks in HD (NY) when they became available with losing anything.

Sounds to good to be true?

Just due to the practical problem of managing the various waivers, I expect Dish to grant access to distant HD to anyone who presently receives distant SD. It would then be up the individual affilitates to challenge Dish for each customer granted such access. And that would be a huge admin load for the local stations. As it is, many local stations fail to respond to Dish's waiver requests within the FCC's 45 day time limit. Just imagine how much time would be required for each challenge resolution. That is why I am going out of my way now to have all my waivers in place or updated.

rdinkel said:
As it is, many local stations fail to respond to Dish's waiver requests within the FCC's 45 day time limit.

Is that business days or total days? Also, if they fail to respond will dish automatically grant the waiver?
Thanks,
Chad

cnacht said:
Is that business days or total days? Also, if they fail to respond will dish automatically grant the waiver?
Thanks,
Chad

I think it is calendar days. But it seems that Dish cuts the locals some slack. I have heard that they give them at least 60 days before considering it approved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts