Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Nederland , Texas
seekingalpha.com/news/2560776-wsj-dish-network-in-merger-talks#email_link

finance.yahoo.com/news/dish-network-in-merger-talks-with-t-mobile-us-021425631

Last edited:
Reactions: TheKrell
I'm glad because I have both DISH and T-mobile. IF that means I can a discount for having both. But mostly I wish that they had a stronger signal at my work site. I can barely get a phone call in or out unless I am outside .

Deutsche Telekom has been trying to unload T-Mobile for a while. This will be very interesting to see if a deal can be done.

If they do end up merging I hope that they broaden the reach of the TMobile network. Where I live, TMobile and Sprint only work well on the Interstate through this rural county. AT&T is the best, Verizon a close second. I have AT&T now because it works pretty good all over the area, if Dish has spectrum that TMobile can use to get coverage on par with AT&T/Verizon all over the hinterlands and not just densely traveled and populated areas, and offer good broadband speeds with decent data caps, they could really become a tough competitor for the AT&T/Verizon duopoly and maybe help drive down prices too.

SoftBank/Sprint toyed with a merger last year, but because of regulatory concerns they decided against pursuing the deal.

SoftBank/Sprint toyed with a merger last year, but because of regulatory concerns they decided against pursuing the deal.

Yeah be interesting to see how this one goes if the FCC lets AT&T and Direct get hitched then I don't see why they would not let these two.. :)

I really wouldn't think there would be much the Feds would be concerned with in this deal. It preserves the market having 4 major carriers and like you stated, if they approve the T/DTV merger, they really wouldn't have much choice giving this one the ok.

Dish Network in Merger Talks With T-Mobile US.....Dish, T-Mobile Have Agreed Charlie Ergen Would Be Chairman, John Legere CEO http://finance.yahoo.com/news/dish-network-in-merger-talks-with-t-mobile-us-021425631.html
Dish Network Corp. is in talks to merge with T-Mobile US Inc., people familiar with the matter said, a deal that would accelerate a wave of consolidation across the U.S. media and communications industries.The two sides are in close agreement about what the combined company would look like, with Dish Chief Executive Charlie Ergen becoming the company’s chairman and his T-Mobile counterpart, John Legere, serving as the combined companies’ CEO, the people said.Tougher questions about a purchase price and the mix of cash and stock that would be used to pay for a deal remain unresolved, the people said. One of the people characterized the talks as at “the formative stage,” and an agreement ultimately might not be hammered out.

WSJ: Dish Network, T-Mobile in merger talks
Jun 3 2015, 22:06 ET | By: Jason Aycock, SA News Editor

Dish Network (NASDAQ:DISH) and T-Mobile (NYSE:TMUS) are in talks to merge, The Wall Street Journal is reporting -- in what would be the latest chess move in a huge consolidation game playing out across media and telecom.
The two aren't far apart about the resulting company's look: Dish's Charlie Ergen would become chairman and T-Mobile's John Legere the CEO.
Talks are in the "formative stage" and so price and cash/stock mix are undetermined. http://seekingalpha.com/news/2560776-wsj-dish-network-t-mobile-in-merger-talks#email_link

Dish Network, T-Mobile up on report of merger talk; Sprint slips
Jun 4 2015, 10:40 ET | About: Sprint Corporation (S) | By: Jason Aycock, SA News Editor

Dish Network (DISH +5.9%) and T-Mobile (TMUS +4.6%) are on the rise this morning -- and Sprint (NYSE:S) is down 4.2% -- in the wake of reports that Dish and T-Mobile are talking merger.
It's not the first time the two have been linked by observers due to strategic sense: T-Mobile needs spectrum and Dish Network has it, and Dish needs growth and broadband service that T-Mobile could provide as AT&T and DirecTV near the closing of their merger. (Though the broadband isn't a perfect fit.)
T-Mobile has been amassing wireless spectrum, and while Dish's Charlie Ergen has been circumspect as recently as this week about what the company would do with it, one thing he's made clear is that the company didn't plan to start a wireless network from scratch.
A deal may take some time in coming, in part because of its size -- both companies have $30B-plus market caps -- and the fact that the FCC prohibits strategic talks during spectrum auctions, leaving a window before the broadcast incentive auction for discussions.
Sprint, meanwhile, is trading down on fears that it could be left out in the cold, having a potential merger with T-Mobile dematerialize last year, and subscriber momentum that is likely to see it passed by T-Mo to fall to the fourth-largest carrier in the U.S., with a cash burn problem to boot. http://seekingalpha.com/news/256202...report-of-merger-talk-sprint-slips#email_link

In the Q1 conference call, Charlie just briefly mentioned that TMobile was an option, seemed to brush it off.
This news leads me to believe the same thing you said, they've been in serious talks longer than these articles make it sound.

I think the two companies have been talking for a while. They are down to the details and of course they still have to face the approval of the FCC and the Justice department. I just wonder how long this will last before something happens. I mean when Charlie did a partnership with Microsoft and the original web tv/dishplayers it didn't end well and the dishplayers became bricks. When Echostar bought Sling, the two creators of Sling left after 6 months, for what ever reason. Blockbuster was dispatched shortly after DISH bought it at a fire sale. I just hope that egos don't get in the way of a successful merger with the two CEOs of both companies , because this could be the end of DISH if it fails to gel.

I am sure some way or another, Charlie will have the deal structured where he is in control. He has maintained control of Dish and Echostar from its birth as a TVRO distributor to the third largest multi channel video provider.
The Microsoft deal was just a partnership on a product, Blockbuster was a turd to begin with, I don't know why they didn't try to do more with the brand though, and Sling seems to be doing quite well.
Dish (the service) will survive, no derive with nearly 14,000,000 customers is going down the tubes overnight.

Would DISH be able to improve T-Mobile's abysmal coverage in our area? That would be the only way I would leave Verizon. Verizon has the best coverage around me although AT&T is improving.

Would DISH be able to improve T-Mobile's abysmal coverage in our area? That would be the only way I would leave Verizon. Verizon has the best coverage around me although AT&T is improving.
With the available spectrum, and then the monetary backing that Charlie can provide, I would say yes. It would definitely be a good thing, as far as how good, I would stick with Vz for awhile. Hell, I have 15 months left in my contract anywho.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts