We Must Be Getting Close

Covid has nothing to do with it. It's just the way things are. Young people don't do cable services, they all stream. Hell, I don't even pay for Cable because I stream everything. I never, ever see anyone in their 20's or 30's anymore. Almost never in their 40's or 50's. I'd say the average customer these days is in their 70's and 80's. The customer base is aging us out of business.

Look at this forum. I don't know how old anyone is but I can tell by what people post here that many of the regulars are older than me by a lot and I'll be 60 in 2 1/2 years.
I'll be 59 on the 28th. I dislike streaming. My wife and I much prefer the safety and security of our Hopper 3's. My kids use netflix on the H3. The picture looks washed out to me compared to Dish TV.

And if you add two more words"online free" you don't need a dvr..I can pretty much find any tv show or movie out there..I think you will find that people don't dvr that much now either..I've had several different types of dvr's and very rarely have used them..
Are we talking about all of the content with NO COMMERCIALS? Yeah, there is a ton of stuff on IMDB, as one example, but with commercials that can NOT be skipped. In fact, it is frightening how much good and very recent content Amazon has moved over from Prime (along with the classics) to IMDB--cause there's extra money in those commercials. I still DVR Columbo for this reason and Sundance airs all the episodes as originally aired with nothing cut as is the case with MeTV and Cozi TV and Hallmark and all the rest of them, and it is trivial to SKIP the commercials on Sundance, which can not be done on IMDB.

And if you add two more words"online free" you don't need a dvr..I can pretty much find any tv show or movie out there..I think you will find that people don't dvr that much now either..I've had several different types of dvr's and very rarely have used them..
It depends upon the content, I suppose. Tons of content for FREE with commercials that can not be skipped via streaming. In fact, a fair amount of recent content (along with the classics) are available at IMDB, but DVRing that content is the superior experience because some channels (like Sundance) air the content as originally aired with noting cut, and it is easy to skip the commercials, while IMDB and other similar services with good content makes commercial skipping impossible.

Reactions: KaptainRandom
Wonder if dish would do something like the Directv stream box? That is basically what the wireless Joey is now. Technology is there.
It seems to me that is exactly where Dish is going with Hopper Plus. Although, DTV's "stream box" has not helped them. I think Dish has a better shot at it because of lower prices and bringing it into the home of current Dish users, which can allow Dish to segue their subscribers over to such a service, unlike DTV's multiple personality approach of confusion. KISS is how to do things.

I'll be 59 on the 28th. I dislike streaming. My wife and I much prefer the safety and security of our Hopper 3's. My kids use netflix on the H3. The picture looks washed out to me compared to Dish TV.
Exactly the "mold" that most customers today fall into. Not just the safety and security, it's habit - having had Cable Boxes since the late 70's, it's easy, just turn the TV on and watch it and there's nothing new to learn, which as we get older, is less desireable.

Exactly the "mold" that most customers today fall into. Not just the safety and security, it's habit - having had Cable Boxes since the late 70's, it's easy, just turn the TV on and watch it and there's nothing new to learn, which as we get older, is less desireable.
Both my wife and I are 72. My wife hates change of any kind, tv, new car, etc. I on the other hand love change. weve been with DTV and DISH off and on for many years. Also tried Sling TV, PSVue and YTTV. would have stayed with YTTV except I just hated their UI. Liked Sling except for their lack of all our locals. Like PSVue also but they bitthe dust. I would go back to streaming immediately if there was one that offered the total package, I.e., great UI, all our locals and basically unlimited recordings which is what the H3 gives us. DISH costs us $35 more a month than YTTV did but it is money well spent to get the whole package.

I'm 59 also and I had DISH for 25 years till this last December. I loved the Hopper 3 interface ,but not the fees that kept creeping up and the programming costs always increased just about every year since 2000, especially for locals. But I have the Sling tv on my Amazon Fire TV Television from Toshiba. I can change controls for picture quality for just streaming/apps as well as other hdmi ports and antenna also. So after using Sling tv from last summer till now I can say I really don't notice the difference. Yes the Hopper 3 seems brighter to me but I have adjusted the control for streaming / apps so they look just about as good. It saves me money over all, I pay only $56.00 for all the programming I used to get with DISH and I can watch on any tv in my house , including my phone and I pad.

I am 77 and I Love the wirey mess behind my tv. I stream with my Roku Ultra, watch locals on my TiVo Roamio OTA, and subscribe to Dish with the Welcome Pack on my Hopper3. I use a Harmony remote to control everything thru my 7.1 audio/video receiver. So far, I only subscribe to Prime and UP for streaming. Have not found the need to stream thru any other streamers, since I have not run out of things to watch on what I already get. I do not like commercials, so I do NOT watch the free stuff with commercials.

I chatted with someone through online chat and they added me to an email notification list to alert me when this will be available in my area. I don’t know if I’ll really get an email, but it doesn’t hurt.

Reactions: TheKrell
And the pain of having to exit an App, and then to enter another App for the different content I do stream, and I only have 3 paid streaming services (YouTube FREE account is the 4th, but for special content). I can tune, execute a playback, have PIP or 2nd channel running in the background and switch between the 2 (I do this often with CNN often leaving it for the other channel and returning which allows both channels to record in the buffer so I can REW as far back as I desire, if necessary on Dish today, and I USE those features, and I can do NONE of that with the Apps on connected devices nor Google TV.

It is ODD that we are taking steps BACKWARD in TV watching tech with the state of the art "streaming" experience. It's a lot like how pretty bad music can sound with popular lossy compression on a phone, even with really expensive headphones (and headphones are NOT the ideal listening experience for music), when even a decent consumer level amplifier with decent INexpensive speakers with either lossLESS codecs or CD quality recordings sounds so much better that even the youngsters are astounded at the difference. Young people are watching large scale SFX movies on PHONES, for Pete's sake. REALLY? Sitcoms and other trash, fine, I suppose, but the really high quality stuff?

Anyway, 'nough said. :). What will the state of quality be in 50 years?

Are we talking about all of the content with NO COMMERCIALS? Yeah, there is a ton of stuff on IMDB, as one example, but with commercials that can NOT be skipped. In fact, it is frightening how much good and very recent content Amazon has moved over from Prime (along with the classics) to IMDB--cause there's extra money in those commercials. I still DVR Columbo for this reason and Sundance airs all the episodes as originally aired with nothing cut as is the case with MeTV and Cozi TV and Hallmark and all the rest of them, and it is trivial to SKIP the commercials on Sundance, which can not be done on IMDB.
I should have made more clear that Sundance is the ONLY linear TV channel on Dish that airs Columbo as originally aired with no cuts--but that other channels DO edit out material to make room for more commercials.

Reactions: charlesrshell
And the pain of having to exit an App, and then to enter another App for the different content I do stream, and I only have 3 paid streaming services (YouTube FREE account is the 4th, but for special content). I can tune, execute a playback, have PIP or 2nd channel running in the background and switch between the 2 (I do this often with CNN often leaving it for the other channel and returning which allows both channels to record in the buffer so I can REW as far back as I desire, if necessary on Dish today, and I USE those features, and I can do NONE of that with the Apps on connected devices nor Google TV.

It is ODD that we are taking steps BACKWARD in TV watching tech with the state of the art "streaming" experience. It's a lot like how pretty bad music can sound with popular lossy compression on a phone, even with really expensive headphones (and headphones are NOT the ideal listening experience for music), when even a decent consumer level amplifier with decent INexpensive speakers with either lossLESS codecs or CD quality recordings sounds so much better that even the youngsters are astounded at the difference. Young people are watching large scale SFX movies on PHONES, for Pete's sake. REALLY? Sitcoms and other trash, fine, I suppose, but the really high quality stuff?

Anyway, 'nough said. :). What will the state of quality be in 50 years?
People settling for lesser technology to save a few bucks. Won't argue with their choice, but I'm willing to pay for the elegant Dish Hopper 3 solution. As a professional negotiator for 40 years, I'm able to negotiate huge savings on other things I buy that make up for the price difference between clumsy streaming and elegant Hopper 3

Android TV Launch Guide​

Overview
  • Android TV is a new addition to the Hopper family of receivers
  • These new products take all of the features on the Hopper and Joeys today and combine them with the power of a smart TV platform
    • Instead of being limited to only those apps available on the Hopper, you can now download thousands of apps directly from the Google Play Store.
      • For example, Disney+, Hulu, and Spotify are all now available on your Hopper or Joey!
  • This platform consists of:
  • Hopper Plus
    • This device connects via a USB cable to the Hopper
      • Hopper 3 only at launch
        • Hopper w/ Sling compatibility will follow at a later date
        • Will not be available for Hopper 2000
    • Essentially it “upgrades” the Hopper 3 to the Android platform
  • Joey 4 and Wireless Joey 4
  • Both Joeys use the same physical installation steps as the current Joeys
Key Features
  • Chromecast built-in, so customers can cast content from compatible smart devices
  • 4K, HDR, and Atmos capable
  • Improved Google Assistant integration
  • Download apps available from the Google Play Store (6000+)
I think Dish has been one of the most progressive tv providers in the business. I have been with them since 1995. But we are moving soon and I am pretty sure I will consider the local television operators offerings. It will all come through fiber with at least 25 hours of online storage, this means increased resolution (not that Dish's is bad). For our needs the local provider exceeds our needs. This is at a cost that is 30% less than our current dish package. If it doesn't work out I will definitely go back to Dish.

I thin Dish has been one of the most progressive tv operator in the business. I have been with them since 1995. But we are moving soon and I am pretty sure I will consider the local television operators offerings. It will all come through fiber with at least 25 hours of online storage. For our needs that exceeds our needs. This is at a cost that is 30% less than our current dish package. If it doesn't work out I will definitely go back to Dish.
Bonus. Soon after canceling your service, you'll likely begin to receive very generous "Come Back" offers. If not, 60 days after you cancel, you are considered a new customer and will be eligible for all the new customer offers.

I don't think this would be a better option for me. Right now I only have to push one button on my Logitech remote to get access to my online apps.

Edit: But if this works better with slow internet speeds than my 7 year old TV does then it may be an option.

Last edited:
Just spoke with online dish rep in a chat and he knew about the Hopper Plus and checked to see if install was available in my area (it wasn’t yet☹️). But give it a try, maybe you will get lucky. He did echo what Scott G. said about available this summer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 7)

Latest posts