Westell 6100 and router issue

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
I installed a westell 6100 dsl2 + router model modem tonight, it has one usb port and one ethernet port. The software is current and it works fine connected to one computer but I need to connect it to my netgear wpn824 wired/wireless router to service all three comps but I cant get online through the netgear. I've been able to see the router connected up through the westell and go in and have it test for connection and it see's the modem but wont allow for net access. I've reset the router to default prior to putting it on the new modem so it was clean, I put it back on the cable modem and had it retest for connection and it found the modem and ip ect ect and its online so Im at a loss, Im thinking that it has something to do with the westell having an internal router but Im not sure.

Pretty Sure you are correct and the Westell is the problem.
Make sure the modem is set up in bridge mode (disable the router section of the modem). You can reset the modem to factory defaults and get your setup the way you want it before powering on the modem should detect that it needs to go into bridge mode.
Failing that access the modem via the web setup and change it to bridge mode.

I cant find any option in the modems web setup for bridging, if its called ip passthrough that killed the modem and my net connection.

Ok right after I posted I found an article at dslreports about the westell and it went over how to set it into bridged mode after it said it wasnt compatible with routers ( huh?). I followed the instructions and then went into the routers settings, it recognized a dynamic ip and I had all the info listed but still the same thing. Went back and let the wizard do its thing again and this time it saw a PPPoE connection and then there was no subnets or ips, disconnected and hooked the modem back to the computer and went into its setup to find that there was two devices showing and two widely diferent numbers so I put it back to PPPoE restoring it back to one device.

I'll try the verizon link in the morning, att tech supports closed and I need to talk to them to find out what Im missing.

Looks like I'm gonna have to take the modem back and go the route of a wireless setup through bellsouth, these westells with the built in single port router seem to have problems with bridging.

Update:

The modem tests out fine, I've tried bridging it, bridging with dhcp turned off, used the routers smart wizard, configured it manually, reset both to factory specs, called bellsouth tech support, firmware on both are up to date, router works fine on cable modem but wont get past recognizing a pppoe device so I'm at a total loss on this one.

Last update on the problem:

Its been fixed thanks to directions from a member on bbr.com by the name of anonyjane. Her advice was almost the same as everyone elses except it differed in the idle time out and the reset and ip renewal.

cheap computers

Ps3 40 Gb?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)