What antenna do i need to pick up OTA?

David1997

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2005
Harrisonburg, VA
antennaweb

says i live 10 miles from ABC-HD.....I don't know how they figure that if i drive it's over 20 miles.

but they say i need a Small Multidirectional Antenna (yellow)

Right now i have a Philips antenna that i got from Walmart model #MANT310
It will pick up ABC but the picture is very bad. I don't have a HD reciver yet. What antenna would you guys suggest? The one i have says "piercing range of up to 25 miles" and i can't get ABC good anough to watch it.

Where are you located? Is this an apartment or a house? It sounds like you bought a set of indoor "RABBIT EARS". Analog signals that you are receiving can have a lot of interference and a DIGITAL signal can be perfectly clear. You will need a digital receiver to really know what you are receiving for signal quality. The 10 miles reflects the straight line distance between you and the broadcast tower, radio waves don't have to follow the curves in the roads.

David1997 said:
Right now i have a Philips antenna that i got from Walmart model #MANT310.
That is an indoor rabbit ears antenna built-in amplifier. Is it possible to get an outdoor antenna? The reason is with digital you'll either get a perfect picture or none at all and it would be a pain if you have to adjust the antenna differently for every channel you tune to. If you must have a indoor antenna most people claim the silver sensor as the best.
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?main_cat=03&CAT=&PROD=ZHDTV1

David1997 said:
It will pick up ABC but the picture is very bad. I don't have a HD reciver yet. What antenna would you guys suggest? The one i have says "piercing range of up to 25 miles" and i can't get ABC good anough to watch it.
By bad do you mean snowy, ghosty, interferrence from another channel? Understand with digital you'll either get a perfect picture or nothing. The channel number will be different for the ABC-HD digital channel versus the analog ABC channel you're tuning in now. But you won't be able to tune it until you get an HDTV and/or HD receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)