What Are DirecTV's Standard Proceedures for Non-Prewired (For Satellite) Apartments?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I think areas where the cable co have gone totally digital QAM and encrypt everything don't care as much about keeping boxes locked. If someone want to hook themselves up it's not like there is anything on the line they can steal like back when cable was analog.

Agree 100%. I would think it would be a simple way to ward off copper theft and just to keep it clean and keep kids out of it from cutting wires and such

I bet someday they'll start just leaving them hooked up (MDU's especially) and allow people to just come by the office and pick up a modem or cable box and take it home and just plug it in. Would save a lot of man power.

Agree 100%. I would think it would be a simple way to ward off copper theft and just to keep it clean and keep kids out of it from cutting wires and such

I doubt it would make any difference, those wanting to steal copper will steal whether it's locked up or not, just cut it.
As for stealing to actually have TV service, yes I agree ... that was a major advantage in going to digital in the first place probably.

Don't sound like it was a professional install to me. Them are required to be locked at all times

I think he's mentioned before that it's a 3rd party that its paid thru ...
Does this mean it was set up by a local company (probably) instead of D*, quite possible.
They would have to have access to the box as well.

Correct. Access Media 3 is the company its through. Directv can't come into the building. They have their own "installers". Basically they verify that the cable coming to the apartment can support the tuners. They put a splitter in the apartment if you have more than one receiver. We're on a MDU bulk rate (Choice Digital Bulk). We get billed for anything above that (HD, DVR, movies, etc)
By the way here are some pics
-the 3 locked cabinets (Directv cabinets)
-the sign on the outside of the Comcast portion of the cabinet. Cable use to be part of the rent until Comcast made everything above lifeline require a box
-the cluster that is the comcast box. This is just one of them (the apartments in the middle of the complex)

The red diplexers are for folks who have cable internet and satellite

Attachments

• PICT0107.JPG
    PICT0107.JPG
    773.4 KB · Views: 168
  • PICT0104.JPG
    PICT0104.JPG
    768.9 KB · Views: 164
  • PICT0105.JPG
    PICT0105.JPG
    673.2 KB · Views: 166
  • PICT0106.JPG
    PICT0106.JPG
    881.6 KB · Views: 183
forgot to mention at the end of 2012 comcast came out and put those "block taps" on all the outputs there that weren't being used...boy that must have sucked to do that on 3 cabinets like that

forgot to mention at the end of 2012 comcast came out and put those "block taps" on all the outputs there that weren't being used...boy that must have sucked to do that on 3 cabinets like that

I think you mean "Locking Terminators" right?

GLT-LR_zoom.jpg

although it looks like they're using a shorter model than this which I can't find a pic of online but I have some I can take a pic of later.

I guess it just depends on the unit, at my townhouse here, the HOA have the keys to the cable boxes on the side of the units. When I was ready to install DTV I simply called them, picked up the key and then gave it to the DTV guy and he setup the dish and ran the wires from the dish to the Cable box and everything was wired that way. I would figure the apartment would have keys to those and be allowed to access them. Seems like as long as it was okay with them it could be done. I guess it's just on a case by case basis depending on the area and the complex.

I would hook up to the existing cable inside the lock box from the cable company.

Chances are they will not disconnect it, but if they start to give you a problem then run it the right way.

The other thing you can do is identify the cable to your apartment and just pull the wire outside the lock box to do your connection

If I was doing an install for a customer I wouldn't recommend doing this. But if your doing your own install, might as well save the time.

GLT-LR_zoom.jpg

although it looks like they're using a shorter model than this which I can't find a pic of online but I have some I can take a pic of later.

Ok, as promised. Those above are old school now, any company worth a crap uses these now:

Gilbert_Locking_Terminator.png

GLT-LR_zoom.jpg

The unlocking tool for those costs a few bucks and is readily available. The wise techs have one for just the reason they were installed. They keep the general public out of the boxes but allow techs to reuse the fittings.
Cable companies are the ones who use them. The idea was also to keep residential customers from running their own a/os to cable ready TVs. Sat techs never had a problem going around them.

pic to follo:

Joe

Last edited:
The unlocking tool for those costs a few bucks and is readily available. The wise techs have one for just the reason they were installed. They keep the general public out of the boxes but allow techs to reuse the fittings.
Cable companies are the ones who use them. The idea was also to keep residential customers from running their own a/os to cable ready TVs. Sat techs never had a problem going around them.

pic to follo:

Joe
Is this the tool your talking about ?

$26 bucks.

Is this the tool your talking about ?

$26 bucks.

I'm not seeing a link, but the price "sounds" like SolidSignal which is overpriced.

TechToolSupply is cheaper and has more to offer.

Locking Terminator Tool: http://www.techtoolsupply.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=JON-TT-7&CartID=3

Shield Wrench: http://www.techtoolsupply.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RTC-SW716&CartID=6

Shield to put on with Shield Wrench: http://www.techtoolsupply.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=HOL-SS&CartID=4 (Might be a good idea to use to prevent people from messing with your satellite connections if they're in a public area.)

Locking Terminator: http://www.techtoolsupply.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=GLT (Don't really need unless you're a cable co, but might use on unused SWM splitter ports to prevent anyone from using your dish instead of installing their own.)

Last edited:
I'm not seeing a link, but the price "sounds" like SolidSignal which is overpriced.

TechToolSupply is cheaper and has more to offer.

Locking Terminator Tool: http://www.techtoolsupply.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=JON-TT-7&CartID=3

Shield Wrench: http://www.techtoolsupply.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RTC-SW716&CartID=6

Shield to put on with Shield Wrench: http://www.techtoolsupply.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=HOL-SS&CartID=4 (Might be a good idea to use to prevent people from messing with your satellite connections if they're in a public area.)

Locking Terminator: http://www.techtoolsupply.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PPLT-75&CartID=5 (Don't really need unless you're a cable co, but might use on unused SWM splitter ports to prevent anyone from using your dish instead of installing their own.)

Opps, I forgot the link and yes it was SS.

I've dealt with Tech Tools Supply before, may have to see just what they have :)

It is the one reffered to as a a cam tool........twist and the end offsets to twist out the fitting from the inside....probably others will work...couldn't get any pics to copy...Thanks,

Joe

another solution would be to wait. the hr44 will be out soon, and it is supposed to be wireless. just one cable in from the dish and thats it. more details are going to be released at their dealer convention next month.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)