What Do You Make of This Install?

I know its not an approved method but when I use a larger pole like the OP had in the picture, I cut off a straight piece of the smaller mast about a foot long, stick it into the larger mast, and run a minimum of two large bolts with nuts completely through the entire thing perpendicular to each other using a drill bit first for the hole. I then tighten both until the larger mast is basically crimped against the smaller one on all 4 sides. Again, not approved but extremely sturdy.

I know its not an approved method but when I use a larger pole like the OP had in the picture, I cut off a straight piece of the smaller mast about a foot long, stick it into the larger mast, and run a minimum of two large bolts with nuts completely through the entire thing perpendicular to each other using a drill bit first for the hole. I then tighten both until the larger mast is basically crimped against the smaller one on all 4 sides. Again, not approved but extremely sturdy.

I had to pull this exact same mcgyver move on a job 95 minutes from my home office. We didn't realize the internet poles we are provided required an adapter to the internet dish to slide on. So I cut down the smaller in diameter pole and did just like you did.

I've done basically the same thing w/ a non-pen mount. The difference is I use 2 pieces of all thread to go all the way thru the 2 mast. and 3 nuts on each all thread. That way there is a nut on each side of the small mast and a nut that is on both sides of the external mast. (1 nut is the same one on the outside of both mast). Don't a picture of it at the moment as it rain heavily last night and is muddy where the non-pen mount is. Oh I forgot to mention it's for a .9 meter dish that is pointing only at 129° sat. OK it wasn't as muddy as I thought out there. So here are pix. Dish mount 001.JPGDish mount 002.JPG The wire from the top of the clamp goes to top of dish to tension it to keep it from flexing. This dish has been know to deform a bit when it would get hot. So the wire just helps to reduce that problem.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)