Can I Do It? Make The Upgrade!

Been There

Original poster
Mar 31, 2023
Southeast Kansas
I've been a Dish customer since Feb. 1997. I now have a VIP211K connected to a Smart 4K tv in the living room, and one VIP211K to a HDTV in the family room. My Dish system is as follows: a 1000.2 dish antenna with a Dish Pro Plus 1000.2 LNBF. (not the latest DPP triple one) with the 129 satellite covered so it won't receive any signal. Also, i have installed right next to this 1000.2 dish a Dish 500 with a single Pro LNB that is aimed at the 129 satellite in orbit. I have both dishes connected so that I get all my 250 so-called channels on both VIP211K receivers. And my wife can watch her tv channels and I can what mine. I wired, connected all this system on my own time and bought the equipment and no contract from Dish Network.
Now comes the question I'm seeking from you experts. So, here goes.
I'm considering buying a Hopper 3 receiver, and two (2) Joey's 4k or Joey wireless units. I've did some research and the best that I obtain is.... I need a latest 1000.2 LNBF unit that will connect to a DPP 44 and to what ever next item I need to fire up this new system I might purchase.
So, spend some of your time explaining what I need and what to expect that might happen that will not work or will work.

Thanks for your knowledge..This from a old soon to be ninety year old war veteran.

I would not recommend a Joey4K since they do not work with Dish 4K broadcasts that use HDR. The new Joey 4 clients work with 4K HDR broadcasts but Dish currently requires a Hopper + in order to get a Joey 4.

If 4K HDR programming is not needed consider a Joey3 which works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been a Dish customer since Feb. 1997. I now have a VIP211K connected to a Smart 4K tv in the living room, and one VIP211K to a HDTV in the family room. My Dish system is as follows: a 1000.2 dish antenna with a Dish Pro Plus 1000.2 LNBF. (not the latest DPP triple one) with the 129 satellite covered so it won't receive any signal. Also, i have installed right next to this 1000.2 dish a Dish 500 with a single Pro LNB that is aimed at the 129 satellite in orbit. I have both dishes connected so that I get all my 250 so-called channels on both VIP211K receivers. And my wife can watch her tv channels and I can what mine. I wired, connected all this system on my own time and bought the equipment and no contract from Dish Network.
Now comes the question I'm seeking from you experts. So, here goes.
I'm considering buying a Hopper 3 receiver, and two (2) Joey's 4k or Joey wireless units. I've did some research and the best that I obtain is.... I need a latest 1000.2 LNBF unit that will connect to a DPP 44 and to what ever next item I need to fire up this new system I might purchase.
So, spend some of your time explaining what I need and what to expect that might happen that will not work or will work.

Thanks for your knowledge..This from a old soon to be ninety year old war veteran.
You have an Eastern Arc DPP LNBF with a DP Single pointing at 129. You don't need a 44 switch. You just need a Hybrid Eastern Arc LNBF with the single still connected to it with only cable out of the Eastern Arc to a Solo Hub.
And Joey 4K's are junk. Useless

Last edited:
Many thank you's for the information. I should have made in my inquiry that I have a Western Arc setup. The 1000.2 dish is just for 110, 119 satellites. In my roof mountings, I couldn't after hours of using the meter to locate these satellites to get a good signal. So, I covered the right (129) LNB and installed a Dish 500 with a single LNB. It all works great this way. Do you think I might need the latest (black) 1000.2 dish with the 1000.2 Pro Hybrid LNBF?

Reactions: charlesrshell
The reason I'm having to make the change or upgrade, one of the VIP211K receivers has gone bad. I will change the "guide schedule" back several months, or advance it several months. I don't use the guide on my VIP211K, so I switched it with the wife's one as she uses the guide too much. And Dish don't have the VIP211K anymore. Unless I get from pre-owned on ebay, and that might be the same problem I have now.

Here are some more thoughts. On Dish Network website, I see they only have the Hopper(s) and Joey(s) units. No other receivers as they use to install some months past. It appears they (Dish) don't give us Dish customers much choice now.
I have Cox Internet and thought it might be time for me to switch to Cox Cable, but, my neighbor tells me "don't do it" as it is a lousy system.

Many thank you's for the information. I should have made in my inquiry that I have a Western Arc setup. The 1000.2 dish is just for 110, 119 satellites. In my roof mountings, I couldn't after hours of using the meter to locate these satellites to get a good signal. So, I covered the right (129) LNB and installed a Dish 500 with a single LNB. It all works great this way. Do you think I might need the latest (black) 1000.2 dish with the 1000.2 Pro Hybrid LNBF?
Yep and do the same thing with the 129