What droid to go to next?

I'm not talking about the function of the buttons, I'm talking about the buttons themselves. On The Droid X there are physical buttons that stick up, they're not touch only.

I didn't notice when I last played with a DX, but I get what you are talking about. But the phone is so stinking big, I could deal with it. :)

Just got back from the Verizon store. Played with the Droid Pro. Love the keyboard, hate the screen. That 1/2 an inch makes a huge difference. The screen resolution is crisp, but the text is quite small. Pass.

Played with a Droid 2 - ironically I have never used one before; like the keyboard; screen is brighter and more crisp than D1; this will be the phone for my wife's upgrade when the Global comes out.

My plan is for the DX. 9 days and counting. They confirmed I can use my son's upgrade for my DX, and then next July I'll have eligibility for a new every 2 - by which time something even faster will be out. :D

Nobody was in the Verizon store; they had the DPro, the new Samsung Continuum, Fascinate, and the Galaxy Tab. And I had the store to myself. Happy days.

I am really interested in the Droid Pro, Going to go check it out. Ive been wanting a physical keyboard that did not slide out, and that keyboard looks very much like the Bold keyboard..I hope so.

DetFan said:
I am really interested in the Droid Pro, Going to go check it out. Ive been wanting a physical keyboard that did not slide out, and that keyboard looks very much like the Bold keyboard..I hope so.

I was really disapointed with the screen resolution. It was as if they wanted to cram the same resolution into a screen a half inch smaller. It was not pleasant at all. They should have put that phone on the body of a Droid x. The keyboard itself was fine, like my old treo -- but if they put that keyboard on a bigger device it would have been killer. Instead it causes eye strain for me.

rockymtnhigh said:
I was really disapointed with the screen resolution. It was as if they wanted to cram the same resolution into a screen a half inch smaller. It was not pleasant at all. They should have put that phone on the body of a Droid x. The keyboard itself was fine, like my old treo -- but if they put that keyboard on a bigger device it would have been killer. Instead it causes eye strain for me.
That makes no sense, the GUI should be based on actual physical font size, not pixels. I've seen this at work when folks run their monitors at less than the monitor's native resolution because they say they can't read the small type on the screen at the "correct" resolution.

So, to use the Star Wars quote I've always wanted to use, "…these aren't the 'droids you're looking for…" :D

That makes no sense, the GUI should be based on actual physical font size, not pixels. I've seen this at work when folks run their monitors at less than the monitor's native resolution because they say they can't read the small type on the screen at the "correct" resolution.

So, to use the Star Wars quote I've always wanted to use, "…these aren't the 'droids you're looking for…" :D

that is exactly what it felt like -- like a monitor was not being run at its native resolution. It was hard and uncomfortable for me on the eyes.

Brought my wife to the Verizon store for her to decide which droid she would upgrade to -- the Droid 2 or the Droid Pro. While I don't like the Pro, I wanted her to choose for herself. She has been insistent about a phone with a keyboard. To my utter surprise, she fell in love with the Droid X - particularly when I showed her how to Swype. So, she is getting a Droid X. Works for me.

The thing is, I was playign with the D2 and I have to say the keyboard on it is SO DRAMATICALLY improved from the D1, if it were not for the larger screen and the resolution of the DX, I'd probably go D2 myself, but I am 99% certainly we'll be a DX household.

Brought my wife to the Verizon store for her to decide which droid she would upgrade to -- the Droid 2 or the Droid Pro. While I don't like the Pro, I wanted her to choose for herself. She has been insistent about a phone with a keyboard. To my utter surprise, she fell in love with the Droid X - particularly when I showed her how to Swype. So, she is getting a Droid X. Works for me.

The thing is, I was playign with the D2 and I have to say the keyboard on it is SO DRAMATICALLY improved from the D1, if it were not for the larger screen and the resolution of the DX, I'd probably go D2 myself, but I am 99% certainly we'll be a DX household.
Yea i went nutz for the DX!! I really wanted to wait for a 4g phone but don't think i can wait any longer!

I am ready for Saturday morning that is for sure!!! Still, it will be sad to say farewell to my Droid. Been the best phone I have ever had.

I loved my Droid and Droid X but now that I have moved to T-Mobile the G2 is better than any Droid out there. Screen Resoultion is nearly the same as my Droid X (854X480 VS 800 X 400). The data as you can image on T-Mobile is so much faster than Verizon and will compare to LTE when it launches.

In the end if it was for Verizon CS I wouldn't have left. As least now with my G2 I can root and flash roms unlike the Droid X.

I loved my Droid and Droid X but now that I have moved to T-Mobile the G2 is better than any Droid out there. Screen Resoultion is nearly the same as my Droid X (854X480 VS 800 X 400). The data as you can image on T-Mobile is so much faster than Verizon and will compare to LTE when it launches.

In the end if it was for Verizon CS I wouldn't have left. As least now with my G2 I can root and flash roms unlike the Droid X.

Well, that just isn't happening for me. I just renewed my contract to get the great data promo going on; and I am not certain of the claim that you can't root the DX. See: DROIDX - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Being on Verizon, this is the best phone they have.

9am tomorrow can not come soon enough. (Its when the local VZW store opens :) ); I bought a new carrying case at BB for it today. Kind of a bummer that I need all new accesories.

If anyone wants a Droid 1 Multimedia Dock or a Car Dock for cheap, let me know via PM.

Enjoying my droid x. Pretty sweet!

I was pleased to see that a lot of my settings got transferred through the google sync, including the wallpaper I had in Launcher Pro. Heck, Moto blue disappeared within 5 minutes of getting the phone. It is going to take a long time to remember the new locations of buttons from the Droid 1, and I kind of miss the soft-keys for the four buttons, but all in all, no complaints.

My initial reaction to the Droid X --

Things I like:

1) Screen quality, and size. Just stellar - although its basically the same resolution as the Droid, so everything is just bigger.
2) many apps have been redone since Droid 1; including texting and email. Seems to be well implemented across the board.
3) swype built in.
4) The camera app - so much improved.

Things I am not sold on:
1) I really prefer the soft buttons instead of the four physical buttons on thebottom, feels like they could break too easily.
2) THE BUTTONS are all screwed up. They are not in the same order as the Droid 1, and after one year with it, it will take a long time to get used to the new setup.
3) I kind of miss the keyboard. Hard to believe, but true. Plus I don't even know how to reboot it into restore. Since there is no X-key to press with power. I just need to read up on it.
4) The multimedia dock - it has connectors for both USB and HDMI, and is hard to use. Much prefer the older dock.

All in all, the initial reactions are positive. I am babying it right now until I get my zagg invisible shield. I ordered it from Amazon; half the price of what Best Buy is selling it for. Desperately do not want to scratch it.

The next week will tell whether this was a good purchase; if I am not pleased, I'll just exchange it for a Droid 2. But I am pretty confident this is the phone for me --- well, until the next generation comes out... :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)