What droid to go to next?

My initial reaction to the Droid X --

Things I like:

1) Screen quality, and size. Just stellar - although its basically the same resolution as the Droid, so everything is just bigger.
2) many apps have been redone since Droid 1; including texting and email. Seems to be well implemented across the board.
4 swype built in.
5) The camera app - so much improved.

Things I am not sold on:
1) I really prefer the soft buttons instead of the four physical buttons on thebottom, feels like they could break too easily.
2) THE BUTTONS are all screwed up. They are not in the same order as the Droid 1, and after one year with it, it will take a long time to get used to the new setup.
3) I kind of miss the keyboard. Hard to believe, but true. Plus I don't even know how to reboot it into restore. Since there is no X-key to press with power. I just need to read up on it.
4) The multimedia dock - it has connectors for both USB and HDMI, and is hard to use. Much prefer the older dock.

All in all, the initial reactions are positive. I am babying it right now until I get my zagg invisible shield. I ordered it from Amazon; half the price of what Best Buy is selling it for. Desperately do not want to scratch it.

The next week will tell whether this was a good purchase; if I am not pleased, I'll just exchange it for a Droid 2. But I am pretty confident this is the phone for me --- well, until the next generation comes out... :)

So what is the #3 thing you liked about the Droid X? :D

Oops! Originally I had two on my list about screen quality and size, and I merged them, but didn't fix the list. DOH!

I rooted the Droid X using z4root. It took about a minute, and after a quick reboot, I had the superuser app and am able to wirelessly tether, backup using titanium, run setcpu, and run rom manager. Apparently there is a bootstrap I can install to permit using clockwork mod. But right now I was more concerned with wireless tether.

Tonight I installed the droid x overclock app and it is running at 1.2ghz. Easy as pie andno kernels to download. Jrummy rocks.

Well, that just isn't happening for me. I just renewed my contract to get the great data promo going on; and I am not certain of the claim that you can't root the DX. See: DROIDX - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Being on Verizon, this is the best phone they have.

MY comments was on custom roms. I had the Droid X and had it rooted. Sorry for the confusion.

As for your quadrant screen. That is what my G2 runs at stock. If I push it to a similar 1.2GHZ it will rocket up to 2100 and pushing it to 1.42 goes to 2340. Lastly with CM 6.1 RC1 jumps to 2540. The G2 runs stock at 800MHZ which, like the Droid 1, I image for battery life.

Just ran quadrant and got a 1450. Very nice. Loving this device. :)

I am not so sure how those quadrant scores translate into actual real world performance.
I can get that and higher with my Droid1 overclocked to 1.25 ghz. I would expect that the X outperforms it considerably. Correct?

Not necessarily. Processor and graphics play into the score. With the Droid 1 they made a quick and refined phone at 600mhz to extend battery life, similar to my G2. With the Droid X I believed they maxed out the 1ghz OMAP processor from day one.

As for custom Roms it is not like the Milestone you have or my G2. I can replace everything like you Milestone, where the Droid X still has a locked Bootloader at last check.

I am not so sure how those quadrant scores translate into actual real world performance.
I can get that and higher with my Droid1 overclocked to 1.25 ghz. I would expect that the X outperforms it considerably. Correct?

I thought you were just running the Droid1 Rom, what is the actual phone you have?

I thought you were just running the Droid1 Rom, what is the actual phone you have?

Its called the Milestone, since Verizon is the only one that can actually use "droid", but it is the exact same phone as the Droid 1.

By all subjective measures it does. It is very zippy.

I just ran quadrant again, and this time it came up at 1643. I ran it another time and got 1547; and then again - getting 1631. No idea why it came out so low the first time. But no complaints. This machine is working great.

I have not tweaked the Overclock app at all; leaving it alone for a bit.

I asked my friend in NY who is running a DX stock unrooted to test out Quadarant. And he got 1440 and 1404. I am thinking that when I first ran it last night, it was not really OC'd at the time. I am consistently getting between 1550 - 1650 now. I have not played with the kernels yet. I figure if this runs stable, I'll leave it alone.

Well, the wifes Galaxy will be here at lunch, so I get a half day to play with it before i give it to her. Its a christmas present,, would be funny for me to make her wait. lol I doubt she would be amused however.

Well, the wifes Galaxy will be here at lunch, so I get a half day to play with it before i give it to her. Its a christmas present,, would be funny for me to make her wait. lol I doubt she would be amused however.

Make her wait. It isn't Christmas yet. ;) :D

I don't get why people get worked up over Quadrant scores. Personally, I go by how fast or slow the phone feels when I'm using it ... like a (smart)phone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)