What going on with Dish?

Sig

Original poster
Apr 11, 2023
Central Alabama
For the past few months it seem's like Dish is having serious customer exit.
Or is Dish going to merge with another provider?
I remember when I had C-band satellite service, one could actually do a custom channel line up of the channels that you really like to view. It seems like with such advances in technology these days Dish/Directv could do the same, could they? I donot need nor want dozens of music channels.

Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Reactions: TheKrell and jannah
I remember when I had C-band satellite service, one could actually do a custom channel line up of the channels that you really like to view. It seems like with such advances in technology these days Dish/Directv could do the same, could they? I donot need nor want dozens of music channels.

Dish allows four favorite channel lists on Hopper receivers.
1) Hit the Home key twice
2) Select Settings
3) Select Favorite Channels
4) Select the channels you want in the list
5) Name the List

I have set up the following Favorite Lists
1) OTA Locals
2) News
3) Sports
4) Dave’s favorites

When selecting the Guide, each time you hit the Guide button each list comes up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charlesrshell, thank you for that very good suggestion.
I do have 2 favorite channel list, local channels and channels I view mainly on Dish. I would like to get several of channels that are not in my current Dish package,but I don't want the extra cost increase.
Again thank you for the reply and great suggestion.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I do have 2 favorite channel list, local channels and channels I view mainly on Dish. I would like to get several of channels that are not in my current Dish package,but I don't want the extra cost increase.
Sig, wasn't me. We hardly watch any live TV so no need to set up favorite list. Record everything we like.

Reactions: TheKrell
dweber answered your question. His name is below his photo to the left. Charles "liked" it, as he does EVERYTHING! ;)

As Dave suggested above, creating a favorite channel list is marvelous. I also created four.
When you are bored and scrolling channels with a list you can skip a lot of junk. Time saver.
You have to set it up for each device though. Hopper3 (as far as I know) does not share it with Joeys.

Dish would love to buy DIRECTV, but the money isn’t there, and those days have passed.
Should have happened two years ago, when AT&T was desperate to get DirecTV off the books and needed cash, hence why they did the deal with TPG Capital.

Since the deal would take at least a year (Government approval) and DirecTV is about 2.5 years from turning unprofitable, Dish having all their issues, navychop is correct, those days have passed.

Dish would love to buy DIRECTV, but the money isn’t there, and those days have passed.

Agree there is no reason to buy DirectTV, if there ever was. What would DISH a company facing big problems do with another Company also facing big problems, with very different equipment and frequencies. If Direct TV were not also losing so many customers then maybe yes, buy it and replace the customers equipment to DISH. Sell off whatever you can I guess. But that is a huge acquisition cost however.

And I don't think DISH has the money or credit right now to do it either.

And I don't think DISH has the money or credit right now to do it either.
No, but with AT&T announcing it is putting up it’s 70% for sale next August, I do wonder what AT&T is going to be asking for it.

Something that is losing 2 Million subs a year, Satellites getting older, no plans for new ones, looking to be unprofitable in, roughly, 2 years.

DirecTV is also still carrying about $10-11 Billion in debt.

If someone offers a box of wine for it, AT&T should take the deal.

If things improve for Dish (sigh), they can get DTV assets desired for cheap in a bankruptcy auction. And some customers for no more than a newbie off the street.

What could save Dish? Streamers deciding the grass isn’t greener, after all. And release their titles back to Dish. Sadly, I think Dish will be terminal before then, perhaps beyond recovery.

As long as I’ve been with Dish, it like Top Chef is the last item of great interest to us, returning in May. Sadly…..

If things improve for Dish (sigh), they can get DTV assets desired for cheap in a bankruptcy auction. And some customers for no more than a newbie off the street.
With all the debt coming due next year, roughly about $5-6 Billion, the first $3 Billion in April, plus other factors, continue building their 5G Money Pit and another $3.5 Billion owed to T-Mobile for even more 5G Spectrum, Dish will be there first.

While DirecTV is losing a lot more subscribers every year, since AT&T separated from the company ( while still owning it, gotta love Corporations in the United States), they do not have those extra expenses that Dish does, so they can last longer.
What could save Dish? Streamers deciding the grass isn’t greener, after all.
Again, as far as streamers making profit, everyone keeps forgetting that it took DirecTV and Netflix 6 years before they became profitable, Dish and Amazon 9 years, Disney+ is due to be profitable in 2024, so that means 5 years, Paramount+ would of been profitable this year, but they took that paper loss of $1.7 Billion ( tax purposes) for the shut down of Showtime streaming and rebranding of regular Showtime.
And release their titles back to Dish. Sadly, I think Dish will be terminal before then, perhaps beyond recovery.
Cord Cutting started well before the creation of most streaming services, it is too late.

When it started, only Netflix, CBS and VOD streaming in 2016.
As long as I’ve been with Dish, it like Top Chef is the last item of great interest to us, returning in May. Sadly…..
Soon as College Football is over, YTTV is gone, back in September for one last season, then in 2025, all sports will be streaming ( I only care about Football).

Last edited:
No, but with AT&T announcing it is putting up it’s 70% for sale next August, I do wonder what AT&T is going to be asking for it.

Something that is losing 2 Million subs a year, Satellites getting older, no plans for new ones, looking to be unprofitable in, roughly, 2 years.

DirecTV is also still carrying about $10-11 Billion in debt.

If someone offers a box of wine for it, AT&T should take the deal.
AT&T was never successful in the Pay TV area, not even 24 years ago and definitely not now.

AT&T bought TCI (Tele-Communications Inc) and then sold AT&T Broadband Inc to Comcast. I don't know how they did with U-Verse TV.

AT&T was never successful in the Pay TV area, not even 24 years ago and definitely not now.
Never said they were, owning something does not mean it was well run.
AT&T bought TCI (Tele-Communications Inc) and then sold AT&T Broadband Inc to Comcast.
First Media One, then AT&T, then Comcast, I was working for them at the time when it became Comcast, I left after 6 months, basically because they were evil.
I don't know how they did with U-Verse TV.
In 2014, Uverse hit 6 Million.

Today, with DirecTV Satellite , both versions of Streaming and Uverse, they have total, 11.5-12 Million roughly, 2.5 Million Uverse ( a lot of multi-dwellings still), 1.5-2 Million streaming, so that leaves Satellite with around 7-7.5 Million, which had a high of 20 Million when AT&T bought them.

Never said they were, owning something does not mean it was well run.

First Media One, then AT&T, then Comcast, I was working for them at the time when it became Comcast, I left after 6 months, basically because they were evil.

In 2014, Uverse hit 6 Million.

Today, with DirecTV Satellite , both versions of Streaming and Uverse, they have total, 11.5-12 Million roughly, 2.5 Million Uverse ( a lot of multi-dwellings still), 1.5-2 Million streaming, so that leaves Satellite with around 7-7.5 Million, which had a high of 20 Million when AT&T bought them.

I also forgot, different AT&T as that was the real AT&T back then. The current AT&T is really just SBC (Southwestern Bell Communications), one of the Regional Bell Operating Companies after AT&T was originally split in the 1980s that bought the other RBOCs and finally bought AT&T and kept the name so would be hard to tell anyways. All companies that grow big are more or less evil since they wouldn't have gotten big and would have been eaten alive by bigger companies otherwise.

I think everyone wants to be able to hand pick channels and just pay for that. With conglomeration of networks, that has become impossible, and has been for a couple decades.

I think everyone wants to be able to hand pick channels and just pay for that. With conglomeration of networks, that has become impossible, and has been for a couple decades.
Well, exactly- you just beat me to it, but I read the OP to be about wanting to tailor subscription, but then replies were about how to set up fav lists. Certainly the rigidity in channels packaging goes into decisions to cord-cut from sat / cable. As well as into decisions not to cut the cord because of streaming availability issues with certain channels that may now be received which are considered "must keeps," or even simply easy-to-use DVR. The pay TV industry needs your money, and bushels of it, to maintain its accustomed standard of living. Poor DiSH is now seeing a precipitous downswing in the # of those willing to put up with ever-escalating monthly costs, even though it's not the worst offender. Many went for DiSH in the first place on the promise of more reasonable rates, and are simply more rate-sensitive than the average sub. Some will find replacement viewing from offair and/or streaming, and some may just find other things to do than watching TV.