What is ATV?

marklyn

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 24, 2023
Austin, Tx
OK, I'm probably going to get chastised because I didn't use the right search terms or search enough. (honestly I tried...)
What are the ATV file downloads? I see there are for the Joey/Wireless Joey and Hopper plus.
I have two Joeys so what would I use the ATV file download for with my Joey?

ATV (Android TV) s explain here in bigger detail:
Basically, it lets you use Android apps on your TV.

I will let someone else answer this one on which model(s) of the Joey's have ATV as my knowledge on Joey models are limited since I have only used the Hopper(s) but if I am correct, ATV is only on the Joey 4 and Wireless Joey 4. Not sure if the ATV Joey's can actually install apps or not or if it's just limited to the Hopper Plus.

Last edited:
The choice of the acronym ATV was a very poor one. ATV means AppleTV in the streaming space and that's not likely to change.

Of course, since Google and the consumer electronics industry can't seem to settle on whether it should be called Android TV or Google TV, it isn't entirely surprising. I suspect this may be a large part of the motivation for Google pushing "Google TV".

Reactions: charlesrshell
ATV (Android TV) s explain here in bigger detail:
Basically, it lets you use Android apps on your TV.

I will let someone else answer this one on which model(s) of the Joey's have ATV as my knowledge on Joey models are limited since I have only used the Hopper(s) but if I am correct, ATV is only on the Joey 4 and Wireless Joey 4. Not sure if the ATV Joey's can actually install apps or not or if it's just limited to the Hopper Plus.
I know what Android TV is, or at least 2 of my TV's are android based so I can download/install pretty much anything from the play store. The wiki still doesn't clear it up for me. Does this mean I could download the Joey 3 ATV on my Roku based TV and I could then download/install other streaming apps on the Joey?

No the android software is for the hopper + and the Joey 4 only as they are the only devices that use it
OK, I'm not trying to be dense and I do come from an IT field so hence the questions...
You dl the Joey ATV, it installs on the Hopper 3, then what do you see different on the Joeys, or what is different?

The actual meaning of ATV from way, way before Android or Apple TV is:

All
Terrain
Vehicle

All-terrain vehicle - Wikipedia

I really wish some of these companies would think and do some research before using an acronym. My favorite is POS being used lately for Point Of Sale when it has an actual meaning that goes back many, many decades - Piece Of Sh(fertilizer).

• Haha
OK, I'm not trying to be dense and I do come from an IT field so hence the questions...
You dl the Joey ATV, it installs on the Hopper 3, then what do you see different on the Joeys, or what is different?
You don't see anything different unless you have a Hopper+ and Joey/Wireless Joy 4's.
Those devices get their software from the Hopper.
All you get for downloading it is having the software onboard if you ever add those devices

You don't see anything different unless you have a Hopper+ and Joey/Wireless Joy 4's.
Those devices get their software from the Hopper.
All you get for downloading it is having the software onboard if you ever add those devices
Ohhhh. Not the Hopper 3. I think I understand now, this is not for my Hopper 3/Joey 3's setup.

All
Terrain
Vehicle

All-terrain vehicle - Wikipedia

I really wish some of these companies would think and do some research before using an acronym. My favorite is POS being used lately for Point Of Sale when it has an actual meaning that goes back many, many decades - Piece Of Sh(fertilizer).
You stole my thunder! :)

• Haha
Lots of acronyms are used for different things.... ATM = Automated Teller Machine or Autonomous Transfer Mode. POS can also mean Packet Over SONET. Similar to HP can be Hewlett-Packard or Horse Power. Even Visa can mean two different things, one is the name of a credit card network/processing company and the other is it can be a passport or a countries permission in a passport to visit that country. ATV can also be Asia TV.

Being from IT doesn't teach us to repeatedly ask for confirmation every time we get an answer... yes, really.
The Android TV device firmware is stored on the Hopper and is then available to the Android TV devices for download. I suppose the main advantages are that all the devices in the home are on the same release schedule (even if it isn't the latest release) and DISH doesn't need to maintain an Internet-based firmware server.

Don't blame the industries for using TLAs. I choose to blame Morse Code. ;)

They're handy shortcuts for obfuscatory terminology often used to exclude those outside the community and that's been part of the operation of US-based governments and military branches for much longer than all-terrain vehicles have been around.

Being from IT doesn't teach us to repeatedly ask for confirmation every time we get an answer... yes, really.

The Android TV device firmware is stored on the Hopper and is then available to the Android TV devices for download. I suppose the main advantages are that all the devices in the home are on the same release schedule (even if it isn't the latest release) and DISH doesn't need to maintain an Internet-based firmware server.
Ohhh. Now I get your forum name! Thanks anyway.
In my defense, when something is not clear to me, I re-ask differently or try to get some clarification. If that is a crime here and you're a mod then just ban me so you don't have to be bothered.

Even Visa can mean two different things, one is the name of a credit card network/processing company and the other is it can be a passport or a countries permission in a passport to visit that country.
The spelling "Visa" means something different yet. The term VISA as applied to the popular credit card is a "recursive acronym" and is capitalized as as an acronym. It stands for Visa International Service Association.

The "visa" spelling is the immigration document.

These useful distinctions are being chipped away at by texters and those who post "in crayon" (all caps).

How long does the Android TV device firmware files actually stay on the Hopper once downloaded? Does it never get deleted unless one downloads again?

Ohhh. Now I get your forum name! Thanks anyway.
In my defense, when something is not clear to me, I re-ask differently or try to get some clarification. If that is a crime here and you're a mod then just ban me so you don't have to be bothered.
By all means, if you do not understand something, feel free to ask for clarification.