What is ATV?

Free as in free beer or free as in included in your fees?
Your Citi VISA has fees? Think of it this way, will pay 98% assuming it's 2% or less of the amount charged which does add up depending on how much you actually buy. Paying less than 100% is always better than paying 100% any day of the week. Whatever you save can also compound over time since no one said you had to spend it.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Does your Costco sell alcoholic beverages? In places where they do, non members are allowed in to make such purchases. Membership cards are shown at checkout, so I’m guessing the booze buyers won’t be allowed to buy other things.

I should have been more specific- it’s hard liquor sales that lets in non members. Ours sells wine and beer. Period in the alcohol department.

VA has the ABC store approach, but is considering dumping it. If that happens, probably have greater variety. I learned today that Buffalo Trace is rare here- you have to try the allotment/ lottery approach. But I can cross into DC or MD and buy it off the shelf.

It does not. I was speaking of Bruce's card identified only by a couple of above-average features.
Those are not really above average features as those are things that one can redeem for even with the % cash back cards in general. These aren't the ones where it would require JPMorgan Private Bank, U.S. Trust or the other Private Banking that requires $10M in assets. I just prefer rewards in cash even though the other options has a higher rewards ratio, same reason I don't redeem for statement credit either but the cash goes back to 5.3-5.5% annual yield money market accounts instead and I also don't have to wait until each February before I can redeem either but like with anything, there are always good and bad points.

Only of the <=12% variety. In Oregon, only state-approved liquor stores are allowed to sell the hard stuff.

I can't say I've ever been to a Costco that sells anything to people without memberships. That includes gasoline.
All the Costco's can sell to people without memberships. There are plenty of people who has Costco Gift Cards bought by Costco members that shop without a membership and pay with the Costco Gift Card, they just pay the difference with Cash or Debit Card. Some people did say they can't buy liquor with only the gift card and no membership. Some of the warehouses will accept Visa credit cards to pay the remaining amount due for those paying with Gift Cards without a membership and some will not due as there is a chance someone can do a chargeback. From what I read, Costco's Pharmacy does not require a membership or even a Costco Gift Card to shop.

All the Costco's can sell to people without memberships.
This would be in conflict with their General Policies (second bullet):
Costco said:
General Policies
  • Shirts and shoes must be worn on Costco property at all times.
  • Members are welcome to bring children and up to two guests into the warehouse; members are responsible for their children and guests. Children should not be left unattended. Only Costco members may purchase items.
  • It is Costco's intent to provide a shopping environment free from all forms of harassment and discrimination for employees, applicants, independent contractors, members and suppliers. We prohibit all forms of harassment and discrimination.
  • Costco reserves the right to inspect any container, backpack, briefcase, or other bag, upon entering or leaving the warehouse and to refuse entry to anyone at our discretion.
  • To ensure that all members are correctly charged for the merchandise purchased, all receipts and merchandise will be inspected as you leave the warehouse.
  • Liquor and tobacco sales cannot be made to minors.
  • Costco policy prohibits firearms and other weapons to be brought into the warehouse, except in the case of authorized law-enforcement officers.
  • Animals are not permitted in Costco warehouses unless required by law.
I see small dogs in my local Costco most every visit.

It is notable that when purchasing online, you can use Mastercard and Discover credit cards.

This would be in conflict with their General Policies (second bullet):

I see small dogs in my local Costco most every visit.

It is notable that when purchasing online, you can use Mastercard and Discover credit cards.
The general policy is talking about how to shop which requires a membership but does not mention the loophole but it's well known as Costco Members provide gift cards to their college children who visits their local costco and shops with it without a membership while they are away in college. Buying higher ticket/hot items as a non-member, that is up to managers discretion. For instance, if there is something that is a really good deal, they may not let you purchase as a non-member so they can reserve those as a benefit for our members. For returns, you will have to have the original receipt and it can only be put back on a shop card.

Also the Costco Shop card FAQ mentions this:

"Non-members as well as members may use Costco Shop Cards to shop at any Costco location in the U.S., Canada, or Puerto Rico, as well as online at Costco.com and Costco.ca. You can check your Costco Shop Card balance here.

Costco Shop Cards may be used toward a membership and merchandise."

I actually started a thread on Facebook in the San Francisco Bay Area Costco group where group members and some Costco employees responded on how it works exactly which can be seen at:

View: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1207048336310992/posts/1767012176981269/?__cft__%5B0%5D=AZUF5stNHqaD53cJ_1jqHoWXWNJ1FLHoe_x31ag8KP6MWUpDb237vzquGz-J8ovnJ3_InTkqwZPD_eG1_zayv_MQyL-ZA5QBnXrJDFPyDHK33vJlBphdfpDiD_TJ0KJSA_9NJ4BewNkKwQXqQvknAfMC&__tn__=%2CO%2CP-R

I also have e-mail contacts with Costco Regional Management and also Corporate Leadership Executives at the Corporate office who verified that a membership is not needed at Costco for purchases. The only thing is depending if that specific location or store management allows use of a Visa credit card or not, you might not have cash rebates if they don't.

The only other thing is it will require the cashier calling the Manager on duty for a system override.
I know Mastercard works but Discover is not listed as a acceptable costco.com payment method.

Last edited: