What is DIRECTV's new GENIE?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Can anyone tell me if the HR34 needs 5 coax runs from the multiswitch? I'm getting installed on Sat and want to be prepared. Also, also have any good leads on what and where to purchase an external hdd that is compatible with it? Thanks much!

One run from the multiswitch or splitter, depending upon your installation. The HR34 has a 1 tb hard drive. Personally I wouldn't get anything bigger. If the drive fails, you are out all of those recordings.

Thanks for the quick reply raoul, but regarding the hard drive, couldn't the same be said for the internal drive? If that fails, I loose all of those recordings too?

Yes, but with a 1 tb drive, you can get lots of programs on it. I think it's something like 100 hrs of hd programming. If you get an external, you (I) would be tempted to get a 2 or 3 tb drive and fill it up. You could lose hundreds of hours of storage. Why not just use the internal drive and keep the backup to a minimum?

Can anyone tell me if the HR34 needs 5 coax runs from the multiswitch? I'm getting installed on Sat and want to be prepared. Also, also have any good leads on what and where to purchase an external hdd that is compatible with it? Thanks much!
The HR34 is SWM only so one cable

Can anyone tell me if the HR34 needs 5 coax runs from the multiswitch?
Multiswitches (in the classic/legacy sense) aren't installed anymore and will likely be replaced as part of an HR34 upgrade. At up to eight tuners, all existing receivers that carry forward get "upgraded" to SWiM capable models. Over 8 tuners and provisions can be made for up to three legacy tuners.

Multiswitches (in the classic/legacy sense) aren't installed anymore and will likely be replaced as part of an HR34 upgrade. At up to eight tuners, all existing receivers that carry forward get "upgraded" to SWiM capable models. Over 8 tuners and provisions can be made for up to three legacy tuners.

And that has what to do with the question about how many lines are needed?

And that has what to do with the question about how many lines are needed?
It speaks to the idea that DIRECTV won't make signficant provisions to support legacy equipment. For those with a large complement of owned legacy gear, this may be very significant.

It speaks to the idea that DIRECTV won't make signficant provisions to support legacy equipment. For those with a large complement of owned legacy gear, this may be very significant.

and dish not allowing anything on an account with a hopper is different how?

Can I use a WD hard drive in any eSATA enclosure to expand the capacity? Or would it have to be a WD hard drive and enclosure in one? Thanks

Since a swm8 and swm16 have legacy ports on them, it would seem that your statement isn't based in fact, but erroneous opinion.

I'm very excited about this. I just recently learned about the genie and being a DTV customer since 1998 of course I needed to have it, but not for $400. I called up retention this afternoon and got this VERY nice rep. I told him how dissapointed I was that new customers were getting this great device for free (or just for install) and I had to pay $400. He looked into it and came back with: One Genie and one client FOR FREE and install for $50 but gave me $25 off that and gave me a $25 programming credit to cover the total install. Not only that, but looked into what other promotions he could offer, and came back with a $100 Visa gift card just for being a long time loyal customer. WOW. I just got all that AND made $100. I couldn't believe how nice retention was "behaving". I kept waiting for the "but...." Of course I had to sign up for 2 more years, but I would have stayed anyway. I'm thrilled!

Some questions for you all. He said that my current HR20 (with a big hard drive attached full of content) could be anywhere in the house and I could pull up that content from any TV location...is that true? Also, I have an R22 and he said the same for that one. Anywhere in the house I can pull up that content or get the HR20 or the Genie content. Is this true?? He mentioned that only one of my 4 receivers needs internet access and the others don't....is this true?

Thanks for any help all!

Glad to hear direc is taking care of a current sub.
Some of us are not so lucky:(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)