What is DIRECTV's new GENIE?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Wow, I just got DirecTV installed with a HR-34 and a HR-24 yesterday for $200. Could have saved $100 bucks if I waited a little longer. What a kick in the nuts. I think on their site it said the free NFL Sunday Ticket ended on 10/2 so I didn't want to wait.

You know whats going to sound strange... I agree with what Optimist said too cause for the most part its true.

The truth of the matter is the general public would not know anything about the Genie (and we never claimed to know it all) if we didn't mention it here first. If we didn't mention it there would have been no "first look" posted. And I am proud of that.

I will be honest sometimes I don't know what to do with a lot of the DIRECTV information I am passed. I get a lot of stuff from DIRECTV employees and retailers from around the country. Most of it though is marked copyright DIRECTV and also marked not for public consumption. While it would be 100% legal for me to post all of these items as news items, I have been holding off because I would rather work with DIRECTV then work against them. I don't know I am kind of at a crossroads... maybe I should post these things and maybe I shouldn't. When I learn something about DISH I post it. However there are times when DISH tells me something and tells me NOT to post it, and I honor their request because most of their requests are to prevent giving their competition a competitive advantage... and I would do the same thing for DIRECTV as well.

DIRECTV is a tricky thing for me to talk about as I am a huge fan of DIRECTV and I consider it the true gold standard of television services. But a lot of people consider me a DISH guy because me and Charlie Ergen are on a first name basis. They get made at me and SatelliteGuys because we don't cover DIRECTV at CES but do cover DISH. The reason why this is because DIRECTV has not been officially at CES for the past few years. Yet DIRECTV has been at CES each year but you could only see their stuff if you were invited to their private hotel room. Or in some cases you could maybe see some upcoming equipment if you stopped by one of their vendors and knew when to stop by. For example a few years ago we had a very nice meeting with Entropic who is best known for their MoCA stuff. A few hours after we left they then showed off what would become the HR-34 receiver. People were mad at us for not covering it (and we would of!) but it was not there when we were there, nor was it there when we found out about and went back to check it out ourselves.

I love ALL satellite technology and LOVE talking to all kinds of people about it. I have spent the last three weeks meeting with thousands of people at The Big E talking about the joy of Satellite. Not just talking about DISH, but talking about DIRECTV, talking about Free To Air Television.. and I even helped one guy fix his canadian Bell TV subscription.

Me personally, I have DISH, DIRECTV, a C Band DISH, a KU Band dish and also a Sky Television subscription in England (and send it back to the USA via Slingbox) as I said I love this stuff.

If you like DBSTalk then fine I am happy for you. They DO do some good stuff. I visit there often myself and am active on their forums at times. But ultimately I am glad you are here as well where you can learn things from a different aspect. And personally I am glad you have two good choices to learn and get help with your setups. :)

well very honestly, not my business, but how the heck do you get time to watch all that sat. content???

well very honestly, not my business, but how the heck do you get time to watch all that sat. content???

To be honest I don't watch much TV. But thanks to Slingbox technology I can access any of my satellite systems from anywhere. So if there is a problem, I can check on it and report back. :D

Forgive the newbie question here. I'm thinking of switching from DISH to DTV because my wife is a huge Walking Dead fan (DTV has AMC) and I'm a big soccer fan (DTV has beIN sport in HD).

I'm currently seeing Choice Xtra w/ HR34 for $99 initial setup fee, $44.99/mo w/ 3 months premium channels + NFL and free installation. Aside from having the service 2 weeks sooner, is there any advantage to ordering DTV now with their current offer (including a $99 HR34)?

That is, will the packages be discounted at any different rate than what is currently on their standard new customer offer on their website?

My understanding is that the $99 charge for the DVR will no longer be in effect starting 10/10. AT least that is why I am waiting until then to place my order.

I think your bill is not accurate, choice xtra is 69$, to get beIN sports and the other soccer channels will be 13$, then Advanced Receiver Service (ARS) is 10$ with autobill pay which equals 92$ on one TV with no promotions, the current promotion with Chc. Xtra is 29$ for 12 months which gets you at 63$/12months

I am glad I saw this thread as I just called in this morning to sign back up with Directv and was going to get the HR34 at the $99 fee. I will just wait the 4 extra days to get it all for free now. Thanks for the information Scott.

I am glad I saw this thread as I just called in this morning to sign back up with Directv and was going to get the HR34 at the $99 fee. I will just wait the 4 extra days to get it all for free now. Thanks for the information Scott.

Good luck with it :)

C-31? RVU?

are you asking what they are?

C31 is a tunerless receiver...they take a tuner from the HR34 to watch TV in the other room
RVU is another name for it....also there are TV's that can be set up to work with the HR34 where you dont need a receiver there (like 4 models)

Offer for the Genie and three clients at $0 is now available. Installation is set for Saturday.

Help a dope out...

I've seen some freaking out about HDCP with the C31. I'm not well versed in HDCP, although I get the general idea. What exactly is the panic about as it relates to how the c31 works?

Help a dope out...

I've seen some freaking out about HDCP with the C31. I'm not well versed in HDCP, although I get the general idea. What exactly is the panic about as it relates to how the c31 works?

I think it's a minor inconvenience for some customers, but a nightmare for installers.

Is there a pic of the "mini client" aka c31?? RVU is software technology enabling Genie to act as a server??

Keep an active spread sheet showing past cost vrs new with the Genie, appear that the bottom line is the same, less up front cost if I understand it correctly.

Is there a pic of the "mini client" aka c31?? RVU is software technology enabling Genie to act as a server??

Keep an active spread sheet showing past cost vrs new with the Genie, appear that the bottom line is the same, less up front cost if I understand it correctly.

here is a pic

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 1,457
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts