What Next????????????

jubes23

Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
Just purchased a Pkillips PHDTVUI Silver Sensor Classic, I want to hook it up to My fathers T.v. Toshiba ReGZA LCD 42 inches. What do I do next? Does he need a HD box to recieve the signal, or can I just connect the Antenna to the T.V.?

Yes, if that TV has an ATSC (digital) tuner. But I don't think it does. You'll need an aftermarket ATSC tuner.

Zip code is 56013, I am sure it is pointing in the right direction, although There is a brick fireplace in the way. Model # is 42hl196. If I need an after market tuner how much money are we talkin?

According to Amazon.com . While it has a CableCARD slot and built-in QAM digital cable tuner, it lacks an ATSC tuner that would bring in terrestrial or over-the-air HDTV signals.

According to Amazon.com . While it has a CableCARD slot and built-in QAM digital cable tuner, it lacks an ATSC tuner that would bring in terrestrial or over-the-air HDTV signals.

hmmm, the way the below site words it, it sounds like it would:

http://www.dtvcity.com/toshiba-lcd/toshiba-42hl196.php

"* ATSC/NTSC/QAM Digital Television Tuner"

As does msn:
http://shopping.msn.com/specs/shp/?itemId=611716130

"TV Tuner 1x analog/digital combo"
"Digital TV Tuner QAM, ATSC DTV"

Zip code is 56013, I am sure it is pointing in the right direction, although There is a brick fireplace in the way. Model # is 42hl196. If I need an after market tuner how much money are we talkin?

Well CBS is at 320° and 27m and @ 110° and 9m via a repeater that likely does not pass along digital (not 100% sure). ABC, FOX and PBS are also on that same repeater location. NBC appears to be on another repeater location. The PBS digital is showing to be at 193° and 60m. I am betting that you are going to need more than that antenna to get any quality results as it will likely not acheive 60m to reach that actual IA market and is also highly directional as well and his signals are scattered all over the place. If those repeaters do pass along digital then you may have some luck aimed at around 100°. I attached your zip code results from antennawb. They are ugly.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Thats just odd & bad marketing. They need to list the installed tuners in the "Key Features" or "Detailed Specs" why would/should anyone have to hunt for that needed info. Thanks for catching that..

Thats just odd & bad marketing. They need to list the installed tuners in the "Key Features" or "Detailed Specs" why would/should anyone have to hunt for that needed info. Thanks for catching that..

Gotta agree with that. Maybe they figure it being a 1080p set they don't have to tell ya. It's just dumb.

So now the OP is just back being in a badly laid out DMA for OTA reception and having an OK, but not great antenna, and likely not what he needs. Does anyone know if repeaters pass digital?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)