What projector should I get?

Tokebuddude

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
I'm thinking of getting a projector soon.. Anyone have any info or know where I can get some info on all of em? I heard Infocus was really good..Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Try www.projectorcentral.com for good reviews, and AVS forum. It's all about how much you want to spend. Note that some seriously promising developments popped up last week at a trade show, and there are some neat things on the way. Read carefully.
I want to check out the Panasonic AE700 and I also like the Infocus 4805. BOth are below the price of the average big screen tv. Read up and happy hunting.

It depends on what your are going to watch, HD or Sd and dvd's... Infocus X1 is a good buy if you are not concerned with getting "true" hd...and if you have a light controlled room. Also if it is to be a primary or secondary TV.

dfergie said:
... Infocus X1 is a good buy if you are not concerned with getting "true" hd...and if you have a light controlled room...

I would say that all projectors require a light controlled room.

Lately, I have installed LOTS of projectors on the campus I work on. Only lately have I seen some with true HD capability-most are 1024x768. With technology changing and proj.brightness getting brighter and brighter, I am truly surprised at how lit a room can be and still get a good image. An image most people would think is great or even perfect.

But for us, the enthusiasts, a guy needs to know that the white screen he is shooting against, well, your darkest black can only be as black as the white screen you are shooting at. So a completely dark room is necessary for good dark blacks. With projector prices getting cheaper and cheaper, I keep thinking more and more about getting one myself, but always remind myself about the above. This whole HDCP thing is getting to be a bitch too.

--Dan

HDCP is hardly an issue with the newer projector lines. All are HDCP compliant. Most of them now ar even usign HDMI ports (god knows why). Read the Under $3500 forum at AVS (please read the forum rules first so I don't have to squish any of your posts) and ask questions.

The Infocus 4805 is a great projector for under $1,400. It is only 480p resolution but it will except high def 1080i or 720p and down convert them to 480p. I just purchased one and could not be happier. it is a native 16x9 widescreen format and even though it does not have Hidef pixel count, hidef programs displayed on it look great (3d like). it is by far the best dlp projector out their for under $1400.

dankgus said:
What do you mean squish my posts? Do I write too much?

Thanks,
--Dan

Over on AVS... I'm the forum mod for the under $3500 forum. I spend a lot of time squishing the posts from people who fail to read the forum rules first ;)

The Infocus 4805 was on Shop At Home the other night for $1600 (Or 4 payments of $400) and it included a 106" Draper Pull Down screen.

Didn't think it was a bad deal...
Reached for my credit card to call and my wife stole my wallet. :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
The Infocus 4805 was on Shop At Home the other night for $1600 (Or 4 payments of $400) and it included a 106" Draper Pull Down screen.

Didn't think it was a bad deal...
Reached for my credit card to call and my wife stole my wallet. :)

Just saw the same one at Sam's Club(Costco here-michigan-has them also, and and few others)it was $1100.00 with a 76" 16x9 screen.

I would say get one that does 720P like the "Panasonic PT-L500U" here is what it says about it-
The secret behind the incredibly sharpdetailed picture of the PT-L500U is a high-definition (1,280 x 720 pixels) wide LCD panel. Its three layer (RGB) structure realizes an effective total of approximately 2.76 million pixels. That translates into a beautiful picture with stunning detail and exceptional fidelity when reproducing high-quality video source material such as high-definition digital terrestrial or satellite broadcasts. A new optical system developed specifically for the high-definition LCD panels delivers 850 lumens of brightness and realizes a contrast ratio of up to 1300:1, ensuring that the PT-L500U delivers an incredible level of performance. This high contrast—brilliant images with deep, vivid blacks—gives the picture a startling realism and impact.

Just do a search for the best price,this projector gets great reviews for the price around $1300.00-$1700.00 at different sites.

I started out with the Infocus X1 ($800) just so I could get past the WAF. Now that she sees what it can do, it will be alot easier to "upgrade" (more money) to a pj closer to true HD.

Can't complain about the X1.

Good luck.

Tokebuddude said:
I'm thinking of getting a projector soon.. Anyone have any info or know where I can get some info on all of em? I heard Infocus was really good..Any help would be greatly appreciated.

do you have a price range? the panasonic ae700 is looking like a winner this year. of course, if you wait a few years, you can get a 1080p for the same price :)

frank

mukaidaf said:
of course, if you wait a few years, you can get a 1080p for the same price :)

frank

The way things are going, I don't think its even going to take a few years, maybe a year and we will all be buying projectors and flat panels at crazy low prices. By the way, I was browsing one of the internet forums and there is a guy advertising a sale on Infocus SP5000 projectors for $1799 shipped. Thats still a lot of money and I don't even have a good room for a projector, but it is a sweet projector and I guess a good price. I am sure any of you into this stuff already saw that deal, but I have the guys email if you haven't seen it.

--Dan

Thanks

Thank u all for ur suggestions..I've alot reading to do it looks like. :cool:

madpoet said:
The SP5000 is not worth it in that price range, for a multitude of reasons.

I am curious as to why not. At first glance it seems like a good deal, considering the SP4805 is $1400 and is only 480p.

Thanks,
--Dan

I wouldn't recommend you buy anything less than 720p resolution for HD as you will see the limitations after the WOW wears off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts