What projector should I get?

Speaking of projector TVs......

My father in law built me a kick ass entertainment center. If I was to go out and buy it, it would be in the $3,000 range. One problem. It can't hold more than a 42" widescreen TV. I would like to go bigger, and I was thinking of installing a pull-down screen where the space for the tv is, and extending a bit beyond that. For our seating distance, a 55" 16:9 would be about right.

My question is, does it make sense to go with a projector if I only want a 55 inch screen? any other ideas?

Thanks.

-Ken

klen said:
My question is, does it make sense to go with a projector if I only want a 55 inch screen? any other ideas?

Thanks.

-Ken
With a projector, the rule of thumb for seating is 1.5 X screen width, so if you sit back 12 feet, you can go with an 8' wide screen. :D Do the math accordingly and see what you get. If 55" is perfect for your seating, don't go projection, it requires a totally (almost) dark room and is not high on the WAF. (Wife Acceptance Factor).

I figured as much. I guess we could always go with the 42" and move the couch a bit closer. It would still beat the 32" 4:3 (29" in 16:9) that we have now....

I read a post on alt.tv.tech.hdtv where a guy put a 46"DLP into a 43" opening just leaving the bezel exposed. You know, just not pushed all the way in.

--Dan

dankgus said:
I am curious as to why not. At first glance it seems like a good deal, considering the SP4805 is $1400 and is only 480p.

Thanks,
--Dan

There are several other projectors in the same range that have more friendly user features and are being generally rated higher. The SP5000 is ok, but it's sort of last year's model released too late to compete. The new kids on the block are better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)