What the Cable Industry used to say about Cord Cutting

Bruce

Bender and Chloe, the real Members of the Year
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 29, 2003

Charter CEO Tom Rutledge, who was a key part of this cable executive myopia, both failing to see the trend coming, then failing utterly to respond to it in any meaningful way, said this in 2019-

“I think in aggregate they’re going to slow down”, said Rutledge, “Because I think most single-family homes have big TVs in them and that?s where you get sports, that’s where you get news, that?s where you get live TV like this. It?s still going to be under price pressure. I’m not saying the category isn’t under pressure. But I think the rate of decline will slow.”

This is becoming an unhealthy obsession..
Well past that IMO.
It is what I do for my employment, paid a lot also, my employers ( a lot of middle management) loves my reports so much, they are trying to talk me out of retiring (for a second time) next month.

But how about both of you start commenting on the subject, instead of myself, which, I believe, is against the rules here.

If not, why post at all, starting to get quite trollish, since you two keep going after me in this forum, where I am posting about the correct subject and not violating any rules.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
It does get redundant with the same stuff all the time.

Exactly. I don't want to unsubcribe from forum notifications but these repeated threads about the death of "traditional providers" are beyond irritating. Nobody cares. New tech replaces old tech all the time; weekly reminders aren't necessary. Nobody here is on the board of directors for a streaming service.

Huh. I rarely post in your industry threads so don't know how I could be trolling. It does get redundant with the same stuff all the time.
Twice-
Why is this nonsense so personal? You seem to be trying to start disagreements.
I think this goofy obsession is getting the better of you.
Now three times with today, never about the subject, just myself.

Wow, I'm impressed. Why is your salary relevant? You post similar threads almost every week, then you get upset if somebody calls you out on that fact.
Why are you even posting about me at all, first you make fun of my wife passing away months ago, for which you received a vacation, then you seem to keep continuing it, now more again today.

You seem to have an unhealthy obsession to respond to my posts and make them be about me instead of the subject, go do that with Mr. Rabbit Hole, he seems to enjoy the attention.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: AZ.
The post does not exist any longer, but it was when you posted I was lonely in Florida after my wife’s passing in the Netflix Password thread, which you did not like me saying it was a form of stealing, then Ronnie posted this-

Clean up on aisle 3. Short vacation issued.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion about the Netflix situation, but name calling other members is not allowed.

Knock it off.

I wish it'd stop being called "cutting the cord", unless it is on Dish's new 5G streaming service, exclusive to Boost Infinite subscribers. ;)

People didn't cut the cord, they went a la carte (older people) or they never got the cord (younger people). A great deal of people want access to cable and sat channels. They just want it on demand and without the equipment costs. The technology exists for that to be a things these days. And people wouldn't be "cutting the cord" if the producers weren't putting their stuff on streaming services. The losers in all of this are really Dish and Directv who weren't in the production business of media. They were a reseller. Comcast, Time Warner had skin on both sides.

In the end, not much is changing, just how you get the media.

I wish it'd stop being called "cutting the cord", unless it is on Dish's new 5G streaming service, exclusive to Boost Infinite subscribers. ;)

I agree with most of your points, but there are a certain number of people who really did "cut the cord" and went entirely OTA + Netflix. My neighbor directly behind me did that. I would say he's a true cord cutter. I'm similar.. OTA, FTA (Ku) + Netflix and that's about it.

People didn't cut the cord, they went a la carte (older people) or they never got the cord (younger people). A great deal of people want access to cable and sat channels. They just want it on demand and without the equipment costs. The technology exists for that to be a things these days. And people wouldn't be "cutting the cord" if the producers weren't putting their stuff on streaming services. The losers in all of this are really Dish and Directv who weren't in the production business of media. They were a reseller. Comcast, Time Warner had skin on both sides.

In the end, not much is changing, just how you get the media.
Lots of cable employees losing jobs

Lots of streaming people have lost their jobs in the last year. Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney, etc. with cuts.
I work for them, I also lost my job, then they hired me right back, but I retire (for a second time) next month.

My friend who offered me the job originally, also lost hers, but Paramount offered her employment and she accepted months ago.

And if Amazon goes get the NBA rights as rumored, that means more jobs.

I work for them, I also lost my job, then they hired me right back, but I retire (for a second time) next month.

My friend who offered me the job originally, also lost hers, but Paramount offered her employment and she accepted months ago.

And if Amazon goes get the NBA rights as rumored, that means more jobs.
Lucky for you and your friend. Doubt the same can be said for the other thousands who lost their jobs at Disney, as well as the other streaming services that have cut jobs.