What was your first computer?

jayn_j

Press On Regardless
Supporting Founder
Sep 29, 2003
Sheboygan, WI
Another one with a PDP-8/L. This was in my High School for the first 2 years (1972-1973), the replaced with a HP-1000(?).

I thought I was the only one here that remembered the old DEC stuff.

Nah, we used PDP-8s throughout college (73-77). I have many happy memories, including designing a centronics interface for the computer. Also being offered a position as staff on the TSS-8 shared system after breaking security for the third time.

TNGTony

Unashamed Bengal Fan
Sep 7, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
The first computer I actually bought was an Atari 800 computer (now with 48k RAM!) with a cassette tape drive and printer that printed 80 CPM (in one direction, no printing on carriage return!) Later I got a 5 1/4" Disk Drive for it. I still have everything in my closet if anyone wants to buy it! :) It all works great. I even have a couple of unopened ribbons for the printer.

The first computer I used on a regular basis was an Apple II in 1977/78 at my high school. I was one of three students in the school allowed to use it. After that I used my brother's Atari 400.

skyviewmark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 29, 2006
Bay Minette, Al
Commodore Vic-20.. Texas Instrument T/I 99. Then a commodore 64 with two floppy drives and a very slow modem.... Also got a Commodore 128 but by then it was obsolete..

mike123abc

Too many cables
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
1) What was the first computer you have owned?
IBM PC XT

2) What was the first computer you used?
PDP 11 - 6th grade, we dialed into it from school with 300 baud...

3) When did you first have an email account?

televisionarchives

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 25, 2008
Mine was an IBM PC around 1987. I want my money back. When I was in North Carolina last year I found one on display at a collectible store. My first email account was AOL I think. Now I could give you a whole bunch of stories about how stupid I was when I first using one. And I love gadgets and electronics. But I was so overwhelmed with my first computer. DSCF7052.JPG

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
1) Some version of Commodore 64, from the early 80s. Looks just like this:
C64combo.jpg
We also had a cassette tape drive for it.

2) ^^^

3) Does a BBS system count ? I'm pretty sure it only worked within that BBS or possibly within some sort of BBS-pseudo network. Otherwise, it would be a prodigy.net e-mail account.

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
I had been thinking of actual email addresses that would go outside of a system, so yeah, prodigy.net counts. :) I am pretty sure I was on bitnet (the academic version of the internet in the days when we talked about gophers and only tended to access it from VAX mainframes and the like) before I had an AOL account. :)

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
Scott may know more about this, but in the BBS days, I think different systems, i.e. Joe's BBS, D&D BBS, OHIO-BBS (all made up names :)) could link together and users could e-mail amongst those systems.

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
Scott may know more about this, but in the BBS days, I think different systems, i.e. Joe's BBS, D&D BBS, OHIO-BBS (all made up names :)) could link together and users could e-mail amongst those systems.

I don't remember that. Been a long time since I used a BBS. Those good old 1200 baud rate days. :D

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Hah...with my C64 I had a 300 baud?, upgraded to a 1200 baud which was blazingly fast... ;) there was a local BBS, but for better stuff had to go long distance to Albuquerque... I started with a cassette and got a 1571 drive (the C128)before upgrading to the C128D with the internal...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts