Whats all this on 125w KU

Status
Please reply by conversation.

turbosat

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Oneonta,AL
I'm not having much luck finding whatever PBS is left on 125W... I'm not sure but my dish may not be exactly there. Scanned in a couple of dozen or so scrambled channels, HBO, HBO Signature, MOMAX, GREEN, ABC FAM, and other stuff, all S2 and scrambled. Is this some kind of bleed-through on a diseqc switch, or has anybody else seen these?
Only PBS i'm getting said SD something, and its not 12180mhz. Color bars. Using this Vantage box, and it does H264 just fine.

31 channels of which 16 are scrambled on 9 transponders. 12180 is 71-72Q on a scan just now.
Fixed 84e & S9. "Can" LNB. Single output w/ voltage selected polarity.

Last edited:
Thanks, I found that Claro thing on lyngsat so I should've looked first, they're on 11980mhz. But that PBS SD07 is the only thing I'm getting other than the scrambled stuff. I think my dish isn't tracking true when it gets that far west. The signal level is only about 83 on the color bars, 68quality. It should be better'n that!
edit : FatAir are you saying you're getting all that on an 84E dish? Wasn't sure those would be big enough for S2-the only one I have left isn't on a pole right now.

Yeah you should have no problem getting 12180 with your 90cm dish. That is the one I watch all the time. My motor does the same thing when it gets that far west with the PBS stuff once it went dvb-s2. So I have a dedicated dish for it, especially since I watch it daily.

KE4 its either that or I have a tree that's blocking the dish somewhat, when it gets that far west. I'll have to get the husky out tomorrow and look at the treeline. Those scrambled channels come in so strong I didn't think it could be that, but they may be putting out mucho power than pbs is.

That'd be a nice system for a newbie:
- fixed @ 125 for PBS
- fixed @ 97 for hundreds of variety channels
- fixed @ 30 (those w/ LOS) for new DVD movies in English (Spanish subtitles don't matter)

Yep, a fixed 84e. Works great. Even during the horizontal rain we had last evening. (stayed well above threshold) Have the S2 @ 72Q today with heavy low cloud cover and mist.

A scan here in north Georgia of the Ku-band TV stations just yielded a resulting 85 stations (67 of those scrambled in the Claro mux). Here the scrambled Claro stations come in at 75% Quality; this satellite service is for the Caribbean, so the footprint is quite good in the South. --I wish I knew if there were an authorized American distributor of Claro TV (as there is for SKY Mexico), as I wouldn't mind trying out their service for a year or so! Alas, deleting those channels now.-- By the way, I get 74% on 12180. On the old DVB-S feeds (still up with the warning messages), I always got 76-85%. Hopefully in your case, it won't be the tree...maybe your dish is just a tad off. When mine is off just a hair, Montana and Oklahoma PBS are the first to go, and about half of the other feeds lose half their signal :)

- fixed @ 30 (those w/ LOS) for new DVD movies in English (Spanish subtitles don't matter)[/QUOTE]

Anole, what channel(s)?

Does it matter? We have the Internet. Every movie ever is on here with better quality making a standard definition satellite TV channel irrelevant.

The PBS material on 125w and the international stuff on Galaxy 19 is still relevant because it's higher quality than anything you can get via the Internet and a lot of that stuff doesn't find its way to the Internet.

Last edited:
- fixed @ 30 (those w/ LOS) for new DVD movies in English (Spanish subtitles don't matter)

Anole, what channel(s)?
See The LIST at the top of any page, and look for any recent thread talking about Hispasat or 30w.
I don't actually know, 'cause from the west coast, I can't see that bird. :(

My dish must've always been off, I don't think I've ever scanned in Montana since they went to S2. With so much else to see it wasn't a big priority. Of course, now that I've realized I can't see them, it has become the next project,hehe. I get good levels on everything from 61 to 123, that makes me think trees first. Then if it's not I'll start tweaking, or stick up another fixed dish.

Does it matter? We have the Internet. Every movie ever is on here with better quality making a standard definition satellite TV channel irrelevant.

The PBS material on 125w and the international stuff on Galaxy 19 is still relevant because it's higher quality than anything you can get via the Internet and a lot of that stuff doesn't find its way to the Internet.
Were you quoting someone? Or are YOU asking does it mater? Some people have internet. We have marginal internet.. There are only 5 neighbors between us and the tower for the wireless internet. But that is still 10.5 miles! One family out here (three brothers) had 37,000 acres, so they say (probably right about 60 sections). Been divided up and a bunch of it sold off. If your family has not been in the area for 100 years, you are a "scummy newcomer". To us, it is all relevant. FTA is what we have. Internet is reliable - at 9600 baud, most of the time. Dish or Direct want you to have a phone line. You can get a waver, but they insist you have 24/7 power... The PUD won't even promise that! OK, I am probably OT, but I will take what I can get. And with the wind blowing (42 steady and gusts at 67 mph) and up to a foot of snow predicted for the weekend "in the higher elevations = 1000 feet and above" we are at 2100 feet!

Ahhh. The wide open spaces.... For the hams, worked 9 states in 11 contacts in 45 minutes - not even a contest going on...

I donated a system a month ago to a retired couple living off the grid -- FTA is the first television they've ever had. Solar powered. They don't choose to spend for satellite Internet at the moment, although it would be useful.

rv1pop said:
Ahhh. The wide open spaces.... For the hams, worked 9 states in 11 contacts in 45 minutes - not even a contest going on...

Nice what band?

I so need to go take my gen test.

Nice what band?

Yes you do....then get extra..:).....at least you want have to take code tests like I did years ago.;)

I think it's cool you still have the extra class license, up here there's no longer any code requirement for HF for the advanced class. Guess it's good in a way makes it easier for new hams to get active on HF. I had taken by 15wpm test before they changed the licensing scheme, wanted to make sure I got that before the changes.

Back on topic, the lawn is almost dormant now so I hope to set up my spare dish and 9120 motor somewhere where I can get 30w to 125w for winter. There's only a small area in the middle of the lawn that I think I can get the whole arc; that's where I put the stationary 30w dish last winter.

Nice what band?

That was on 40m and 20m.. Today the Nov/Tech part of 10m opened up and made about 5 states I think with 16-18 contacts in less than 45 mins --- before the storm hit with lightning. I heard a lot more than I worked. Fairbanks and Nome AK. near Chicago, Florida, Idaho, WA., Iowa and Ohio worked... 7 States From 1315 to 1348 PDT... 33 mins!

A bright flash, real loud boom and the the computer went blank as I was typing. Got back on and saw it had posted.... Anyway, strange propagation. The first time I have ever seen 10m open up. does not even sound logical. AK and FL way off axis of the dipole.. Ooops, better let this thread get back to topic...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

inverted 30 west

Noob - FTA - HELP!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)