What's for dinner ?

I still don't understand why people put stuff on their steaks. In my opinion it ruins the steak.

I still don't understand why people put stuff on their steaks. In my opinion it ruins the steak.

The only seasoning I put on the steak was salt and pepper. The garlic butter just accentuated the natural flavors of the meat. It doesn't distract or take anything away from the steak like an A-1 sauce would.

I often season my steak with garlic salt and pepper, and maybe add a pat of butter when serving. I agree with the accentuation of the meat's flavor.

I prepared a bunch of small tapas like dishes to pair with wine/beer, being it's Friday and all.....

Mussels in a white wine broth, stinky cheese, crackers, cured pork, crusty baguettes with a roasted garlic butter. Life is good!

Just got my Weber EP-310 delivered in Copper. Let's hope it performs as good as it look. I'm sure it will. Had enough with the $189 grills. Not that they don't cook the food. They just don't last. Next stop, The Meat House.

Crispy Roast Chicken

Liberally salted & peppered a 4lb whole chicken.
Stuffed with lemon wedges, 2 smashed garlic cloves and 2 rosemary sprigs.
Tuss chicken and roast in cast iron pan in oven @ 450°F for apx. 50 minutes.

Love, love, love roast chicken this way. You can make a pretty flavorful sauce out of the pan juices too. As for the leftover bones, I am saving to make homeade stock out of. For 99¢/lb, a whole chicken fryer has to be among the best values!

I put 3 slabs of baby backs on the Weber Smokey Mountain about 12:30 along with two 1lb rolls of sausage. Just finished snacking on the sausage, ribs will be served with potato salad, homemade bread, and fresh green onions about 6 this evening. :hungry:

Ginger Scallion Pork

I got this recipe from the newspaper a little while back. I'll post it as they printed it and then list my modifications......I *really* like this. It's a bit tedious to make, but well worth it.

Ginger Scallion Pork
Makes 4 to 6 servings
1 large Spanish onion
3 cups fresh snow pea pods
1 red pepper, stemmed and cored
1 stem ginger, about a 4-inch piece
1 pound lean pork
4 to 5 tablespoons canola or other vegetable oil
1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
4 long green scallions, trimmed and cut, on an angle, into 2-inch pieces
4 to 5 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar (to taste)
1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
2 tablespoons sesame oil (to taste)
Optional: 2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with 1-1½ teaspoons cold water
Steamed rice; stir-fried or sauteed vegetables as desired
Preliminaries: Julienne the Spanish onion, pea pods and red pepper. Slice the ginger into thin, medallion-size slices, about ¼-inch thick. Trim pork and slice it thin, about ¼-inch or thinner.
Sear the meat: Heat a frying pan or heavy wok and add canola oil. When oil is hot, add pork, cooking until well seared (or even slightly charred). Remove from pan and set aside.
Cook the vegetables: Add ginger and let simmer in the oil until slightly tender, then add Spanish onions, pea pods, red peppers and garlic.
Assemble the stir-fry: Add back the cooked pork and green scallions; stir, adding in the thin soy sauce, sugar, salt (taste before adding; soy sauces have varying degrees of saltiness) and sesame oil. If you wish, add cornstarch mixture to thicken to taste.

My Mods:

1. I don't have a wok so I use a scorching hot cast-iron skillet.
2. I use pork tenderloin, put in the freezer for about 45 minutes, and then slice it paper thin with a mandolin.
3. I slice the ginger paper thin with the mandolin.

3. I use two red peppers and two med. size onions.
4. Salt is not needed. The soy sauce is plenty salty - - - might want to even use lo-salt soy sauce.
5. Cook it in 2-3 batches or else you'll steam it instead of fry it.

I just got back from Germany and while I had this for dinner in a gasthaus while there a while back I thought I'd share this one. The meal was called Kasseler which is a smoked pork loin that is then baked. The meat had a great smoky flavor and had good crisp skin on the outside. It was some kind of wonderful. This and a couple of beers was one of the trip's highlights.

Attachments

• DSCN0324.JPG
    DSCN0324.JPG
    457.9 KB · Views: 87