When Are They Going To Improve Whole Home

One definite advantage cablecos have over Dish (and I presume Directv). If it was before 5-6pm, you could take the box to their office and swap it on the spot (downtime could be 1-2 hours at the most), otherwise you have to wait until the following day. Now with their "stores" (at least with Time Warner), they're open until 9pm. There will always be customers who can't unhook a few cables and re-attach them though, so they will probably be down for a day or two so that a tech can do the work.

They do say in their disclosure 3-5 days by ups blue second day delivery. Overnighting in my opinion is a scam, on ups part.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Maybe he meant 1 to 2 days until you could get someone on the phone that was able to diagnose the problem. :)

I have seldom had a need for a replacement box, and it has been a very long time since the last one. But as I remember it, it never took more than 2 days.

Never had more than 2 days shipping on any equipment either. Maybe I am just in a good area for it.

One definite advantage cablecos have over Dish (and I presume Directv). If it was before 5-6pm, you could take the box to their office and swap it on the spot (downtime could be 1-2 hours at the most), otherwise you have to wait until the following day. Now with their "stores" (at least with Time Warner), they're open until 9pm. There will always be customers who can't unhook a few cables and re-attach them though, so they will probably be down for a day or two so that a tech can do the work.

Dish has retailers though. Not as many as there use to be but still more than all other providers. A customer can go to a retailer and have a receiver swapped out on the spot, generally not for free though.

Dish has retailers though. Not as many as there use to be but still more than all other providers. A customer can go to a retailer and have a receiver swapped out on the spot, generally not for free though.
We've talked about this before.... It's not the same at all - as you say, "not for free".

Also, I know you are a retailer and maybe they're more common in some areas, but I live in the Dayton/Cincinnati area (2 million+ people). There are NO retailers. If you check Dish's website, they list a cellphone store chain as their retailer for around here. They also list one other place that doesn't answer the phone.... That's for Dayton-area zip codes. If you input a Cincinnati zip code, they list the same retailers as Dayton (30+ miles away). The Time Warner "stores" I refer to are owned by Time Warner and the people working there are Time Warner employees. You can swap receivers, cable modems, etc with nothing more than a signature (and the old device).

Super Joey is interesting but has no pip, for many, like me that is a deal killer. I have 2 Hoppers, works for me, perfect... of course not, but what is?

Reactions: ChadT41
Well, you could add another HR series to keep you up and running.
A bit off topic, but I have spent the last three days with an HRsomething at my brother in laws who is in hospital. NO WAY I would ever go to D*.

A bit off topic, but I have spent the last three days with an HRsomething at my brother in laws who is in hospital. NO WAY I would ever go to D*.
The 24 is ok, the 44 genie is great, but the others are very slow in comparison to the others and the hoppers.

The 24 is ok, the 44 genie is great, but the others are very slow in comparison to the others and the hoppers.
Speed/response is only a small part of my dislike. Guide navigation, FF/RW you have to hold for about six seconds before it does anything and I can't adjust speeds, among other things. I'm spoiled.

My brother has a 44, and something else, that is another DVR, I beleive, and I hate his system. Not even the equipment itself, but the layout of the menus, the programming guide, the search, and remote layouts all make no sense to me. The only thing I prefer on his system, is the switch at the top of the remote, rather then buttons for AUXILLARY USUAGE. I think Dish would be much better off having that a switch, rather then a button that Grandma and Grandpa can accidentally sit on and switch. Think it would reduce BlackBlueSnowey screens as well... just my take away.

My brother has a 44, and something else, that is another DVR, I beleive, and I hate his system. Not even the equipment itself, but the layout of the menus, the programming guide, the search, and remote layouts all make no sense to me. The only thing I prefer on his system, is the switch at the top of the remote, rather then buttons for AUXILLARY USUAGE. I think Dish would be much better off having that a switch, rather then a button that Grandma and Grandpa can accidentally sit on and switch. Think it would reduce BlackBlueSnowey screens as well... just my take away.
Agree with all but top switch...don't care for sliders and very hard to see/read for the unindoctrined.

OK, I'll bust some balls here. I had a replacement Hopper overnighted by UPS after talking with Dish ATS about the guide not updating and going thru numerous reset attempts. The irony of it was that after the replacement was ordered the stupid box updated OK so I refused delivery of the replacement.

Dish shouldn't have replaced, or tried to replace, you receiver for what really sounds like a software issue.
I was a little surprised that they were so willing myself. It happens occasionally with my other Hopper and the symptom is that the extended daily schedule is OK but the guide only shows about 18 hours of shows. Usually an RBR will fix it and if I leave the TV on and the box off I'll get an updating guide message and everything is OK. That didn't happen in the replacement case until about 3 hours after the call to ATS and by then it was too late to cancel the order. It probably is a software issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)