Where are my Satellite Guy's gamers at?

Really if you want to record gameplay you're better off with Shadowplay now if you have the right hardware I think, no? http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience/shadowplay

That's what I recorded this with, it was after the fact too, just had Shadowplay enabled and kind of like the PS4 I hit a hotkey so that it saved the previous footage.

Hardware-based so minimal impact if at all, unlike FRAPS which is software competing for system resources. The above video was in beta, it didn't capture my voice for some reason, thankfully, I yelled and probably peed a little when that monster appeared and ate Derrick ;)

You're probably right for gameplay recording. I have never used that feature in FRAPS even though I know that's what a lot of people use it for. I just occasionally use it to see what kind of frames per second I'm getting. It will display that info in the corner without recording and screwing up your game performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot about another issue I had. For some reason I thought that the PC I built had built-in WiFi but it apparently does not. I know I can just ad a WiFi card or something to make it work but do you guys have any recommendations?

I forgot about another issue I had. For some reason I thought that the PC I built had built-in WiFi but it apparently does not. I know I can just ad a WiFi card or something to make it work but do you guys have any recommendations?
If you didn't have WiFi how did you get online? If you're using a CAT-5 I'd recommend to just use that from hereon in unless there's a big logistical problem. You'll get the best consistent speed with that, which is especially good later on if you decide to do streaming stuff. By streaming I mean you can get a program like Plex and stream your audio/video over the internet to various devices, and doing that over CAT-5 is much better than WiFi.

If you still need a card it looks like this is a winner on Amazon

If you didn't have WiFi how did you get online? If you're using a CAT-5 I'd recommend to just use that from hereon in unless there's a big logistical problem. You'll get the best consistent speed with that, which is especially good later on if you decide to do streaming stuff. By streaming I mean you can get a program like Plex and stream your audio/video over the internet to various devices, and doing that over CAT-5 is much better than WiFi.

If you still need a card it looks like this is a winner on Amazon

I had to run an ethernet cable down my steps to the basement that just barely reached my computer. I'd prefer to have the computer in the kitchen rather than the basement and I won't be able to run a cable to it without it laying across the floor. If I want to keep it in the basement I can run ethernet down through the wall and have it hidden but I think I'd rather have it upstairs.

Would it be easier to just have this instead of the wireless card? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BV4JXI/?tag=satell01-20
I suppose that would work too. I have no experience with them, and honestly my computer hasn't had a card since about 2010. I just like that gigabit connection speed, but the situation you're describing seems like a cable is rather unwieldy. I always have my computer near my tv, which is near my cable jack, so I would just hook up to that. If you have a jack in the basement you could move the router down there, but that could cause range issues, as typically you want your router to be as high as possible, not as low as possible. Still, something worth considering.

I suppose that would work too. I have no experience with them, and honestly my computer hasn't had a card since about 2010. I just like that gigabit connection speed, but the situation you're describing seems like a cable is rather unwieldy. I always have my computer near my tv, which is near my cable jack, so I would just hook up to that. If you have a jack in the basement you could move the router down there, but that could cause range issues, as typically you want your router to be as high as possible, not as low as possible. Still, something worth considering.

My house is a cobbled mess. It's just over 100 years old so it doesn't have the cables I need to the places I need. I have to do it all myself and I'm not picky on how it always looks. I do not have a single wall plate for coax in the house. The cables just come through the floor and there are no cable to the second story.

Would it be easier to just have this instead of the wireless card? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BV4JXI/?tag=satell01-20

I would go with something like that over installing an internal WiFi card. The reason being that I have used USB WiFi dongles in the past and they worked flawlessly. I'm not saying an internal card wouldn't work as well but this is just a simpler setup and I don't think you'll see any improvement from going with the more complicated route.

I use gigabit ethernet for my setup too. I have a lot of devices in my entertainment center that need internet access so I just put a gigabit switch in there and wired them all up. WiFi will be good enough for your purposes but if you want the best possible connection gigabit ethernet is the way to go. It's just whether or not it's worth the hassle of running the cable. It probably isn't.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/15/far-cry-4-announced-for-2014

The announcement of Far Cry 4 today is enough for me to decide to finally get back into Far Cry 3. That will be the game I play while I wait for Watch Dogs to get here. I was hooked when I first started but then Bioshock Infinite came out and took all my attention. Tomb Raider suffered the same fate. According to Steam I'm about 5 hours into each of them and they are both games I want to finish. At this point it has been over a year since I played either of them so I will probably start a new game instead of continuing from where I left off.

I brought a keyboard home with me for lunch and tried out Minecraft and DayZ. Minecraft was pretty solid at 50-60 fps soI'm happy with that. I started up DayZ and ran around some but I didn't have a way to check the fps. All I know is that it was raining in the game and I was running around and I never noticed any lag so I'm super happy about that. I'm so excited to know I can actually play the games I want to now. I think it's time to try our some other Steam games as well now.

Have any of you heard of the game The Forest? It's a new survival game for the PC that will be coming out.

Have any of you heard of the game The Forest? It's a new survival game for the PC that will be coming out.

No but I recommend Don't Starve if you want a survival game that won't hold your hand. It just throws you in a randomly generated world and and tells you to survive as long as possible. It's up to you to search for resources and figure out what they do and how to combine them into useful tools.

It is cartoony but it's not an easy game and most of the crafting and survival skills are logical. It's not some ultra realistic world if that's what you're looking for though. I wouldn't watch much video or read to much about it outside what's on the steam store page. Most of the fun comes from figuring it out on your own. There is enough on the store page to get a feel for what the game looks like without showing you how to do anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

No but I recommend Don't Starve if you want a survival game that won't hold your hand. It just throws you in a randomly generated world and and tells you to survive as long as possible. It's up to you to search for resources and figure out what they do and how to combine them into useful tools.

It is cartoony but it's not an easy game and most of the crafting and survival skills are logical. It's not some ultra realistic world if that's what you're looking for though. I wouldn't watch much video or read to much about it outside what's on the steam store page. Most of the fun comes from figuring it out on your own. There is enough on the store page to get a feel for what the game looks like without showing you how to do anything.

I watched some videos on it after you told me about it. I think I may try it out.

If you want a hardcore survival horror game, I have a copy of Amnesia: The Dark Descent I can give you.

Review:

Last edited by a moderator:
I played DayZ for about an hour and never had one glitch. I will admit that I was not in any heavy traffic areas but still, I'm very happy with the performance so far and I didn't have to make any adjustments.

I downloaded Don't Starve and just finished playing after a good hour. I managed to survive 11 days my first try. It's such a simple looking game but very entertaining. I am loving my new PC so far! So this is what PC gamers feel like.

I played DayZ for about an hour and never had one glitch. I will admit that I was not in any heavy traffic areas but still, I'm very happy with the performance so far and I didn't have to make any adjustments.

I downloaded Don't Starve and just finished playing after a good hour. I managed to survive 11 days my first try. It's such a simple looking game but very entertaining. I am loving my new PC so far! So this is what PC gamers feel like.

That's much better than I did. I died on like the second day my first try.

That's much better than I did. I died on like the second day my first try.

It helped that I watched a couple youtube videos on it before I played. I knew how to get started but there is still a lot left to learn.

I am loving my new PC so far! So this is what PC gamers feel like.
pc-gaming-master-race.jpg

I love that picture. Growing up I really never understood the reason why people would want to game on PCs but after some research it makes sense. The possibilities are near endless.

I love that picture. Growing up I really never understood the reason why people would want to game on PCs but after some research it makes sense. The possibilities are near endless.

If they wouldn't have dragged the last console generation's aging hardware out so long I probably would have never tried it. I'm glad I did though. I still play a lot of the newer AAA games on consoles because renting with Gamefly is still cheaper than PC's discounted pricing. I have only had my PC for about a year and a half though and I've already racked up 191 games on Steam. That's not counting the games I have in Origin, Blizzard, or DRM free. I got about 99% of those games at a steep discount.

Xbox One, issue with Ready to Install List & External Drive

Possible xbox Hard drive issues....is all lost

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)