Where are my Satellite Guy's gamers at?

So I finished up Ryse: Son of Rome...

Most of my thoughts on the game match up with @king3pj 's that he posted a while back. However, I would also like to add a few of my own observations.

First off, this game is incredibly easy. Outside of the last 2 chapters I never died in the game, and the times I did were due to not recognizing a pattern of some type. This is especially true with the final bosses, where it literally just comes down to getting the set battle timing down and blocking when appropriate. Most of what makes this game so easy is that you can get your health back by committing executions, and these are also incredibly easy. Basically, if you find yourself in a situation where your health is low in a battle, you pick out the weakest/easiest enemy, spam attack him a bit, and then pull off the execution and you'll get at least 18% of your health back. And blocking and rolling is so easy that it wouldn't take much practice to go untouched in the game.

And if you do end up dying, then you get to play "Load Time Roulette!" I've never seen a game with such inconsistent loading times. As with most unoptomized games, this game has to reload itself whenever you die. However, how long it takes to do this can vary GREATLY. Sometimes it can be "short" like 10 seconds, but most of the time it's long, like Duke Nukem Forever long. One time it took so long I honestly thought the game had crashed. I suppose the reason this didn't come up in more reviews is, like for me, dying is so rare that it's hard to complain about something you don't often have to deal with.

This game also has the worst implementation of microtransactions I have ever seen. When I say that, I don't mean it's like Star Trek: Trexels or other "Free to Wait" games. Rather, it's the opposite, to where it makes absolutely NO SENSE to use real money to advance your character because you get in game currency (in the form of XP) in great abundance. I know they removed this system in the PC release, and I'm not sure if they nerfed it or something for the One but I can't imagine this was put in with a great deal of thought, at least not from a money making standpoint. Don't get me wrong, I'm not COMPLAINING about this, but I just felt I had to comment on it.

Another thing I feel I need to comment on is that the ending of the game (and the last chapter really) sucks. The final "boss" is easy once you know the attack patterns (of which there are maybe 3) and then you're put in a sequence where ALL YOU DO is just execute people, then you win, and then the game tries to pull off an ending like was done in the movie Gladiator, but does it even worse than the movie did it.

Oh yeah, and this game is unfriendly to those that don't use/have the Kinect. There's certain parts of the game where you're supposed to yell commands to your troops, but if you don't/can't, instead you can hold down the LB button. However, the amount of time you have to hold it down is unreasonable at best. I shouldn't have to wait 5 seconds for my command to be executed simply because I don't have a Kinect. I know this came out when the Kinect was a mandatory accessory, but an update to lower the time would have been nice. And before you all say, "Oh come on, it's only 5 seconds!" keep in mind this is in the heat of battle, and having to hold down the LB button while you're still holding and pushing other buttons while playing the actual game is, if nothing else, uncomfortable, which isn't a physical feeling I should have while playing a game.

At the end of the day Ryse: Son of Rome was created to fulfill the role of "Launch Title Eye Candy," and in that regard it did the job well. It looks beautiful and the voice acting and cutscenes are done very well. However, at the end of the day it's a 5 hour game with very monotonous combat where you're literally fighting the same 12 or so enemies throughout the entire ordeal. It's hard to recommend a game like this because while it's not BAD and certainly can generate some fun, it's so generic and by the numbers are bare bones from a gameplay standpoint that you could easily do so much better. A game like this is a good candidate for a rental or if you can find it insanely cheap, like for $10. Something tells me that this will be the first "full" game that will end up on Games for Gold for the One, and if it does I can recommend it. You can load it up, plow through it in a weekend, then delete it and move on to something else. It's like the Micheal Bay production of video games.

Hopefully Sunset Overdrive will arrive soon, but in the meantime I've still been playing Binding of Isaac: Rebirth and Stick of Truth. I also have the last 2 levels of Shovel Knight left. I tried it a little while back and holy cow, those levels do NOT f*ck around..

Reactions: king3pj
I just wanted to add that all of the launch Xbox One exclusives seemed to be littered with microtransactions. Just like in Ryse they were all completely unnecessary. Forza 5 and Dead Rising 3 both did the same thing as Ryse by basically giving you the option to pay for XP with real world money instead of earning it in the game. Just like in Ryse, earning XP wasn't a difficult task so there was no reason to pay for it.

I don't know if it's because Phil Spencer took over as the head of Xbox or if they just received a lot of heat for trying to shoehorn microtransactions into all their games but they seemed to back off with that practice pretty quickly after launch.

So apparently SOMETHING happened and my copy of Sunset Overdrive got lost in the mail or something. All I know is that I've waited over a week and the damn thing hasn't arrived, so I decided instead to redeem my copy of Gat out of Hell and jump into that. Most reviews say it's just more of Saints Row 4, which I can dig, even if I won't be controlling my beloved Nikita..

Well I just got an email that I have another copy of Sunset coming... So now I need to put Gat back on hold. In the meantime I'm going to delve into Titanfall that I got on sale. Sadly I've realized I need to do the tutorial for the 3rd time. I also have Dying Light on the way.

Never let it be said that I am a man of unwavering opinions. While I certainly have views and impressions that I stick to, I won't do so if there's overwhelming evidence to the contrary. In other words, it looks like Titanfall has finally turned me.

I'm not really sure what it was that did it. Maybe it was using the controller to play the game or exploring the other game options but eventually the game just "clicked" for me. I've put in a number of hours and plan to put in more. I mainly play Frontier Defense (which is where you defend a target against increasing waves of enemies) and Attrition, which is essentially Team Deathmatch.

I received Dying Light but haven't had a chance to play it yet, and I also have Sunset Overdrive as well. I may delve into the former first.

Just a quick wrap up/review of what I've been up to since I got my PS4 in mid-December:

As I've mentioned in other threads here, I immediately delved into two of the free games that came with my bundle: Far Cry 4 (now at 50% complete as I take a break) and LittleBigPlanet 3 (completed story campaign and Pop-up Academy; I doubt I'll go for acing every level and the platinum as much as I enjoyed the game). I also played the free Plus game Contrast to 100% and completed The Walking Dead season 2. I'm now wrapping up my third 100% completion of Flower, which looks and plays amazing on the PS4 (I previously played it on PS3 and Vita).

Not to neglect my PS3 backlog completely, I've also put some time into Madden 15 (I finally built my Madden Ultimate Team to an 85 overall rating without spending a dime of real $$), Borderlands 2 DLC (3 down, 1 to go), Beyond: Two Souls (third and final playthrough for platinum), and this week I started the one LEGO game to rule them all, Lord of the Rings, which I purchased last summer, though I had been wanting to play it since it was first announced.

Considering it's on the PS3, LEGO LOTR looks and performs pretty damn good. Very RPG-like, except there's no character leveling or skill trees, but lots of crafting and fetch it quests (as the game calls them). And the voice acting and soundtrack are straight out of the original movies, which brings back fond memories. My only complaint is that a couple of the levels with the Hobbits are a bit tedious even by LEGO game standards, and I have yet to be blown away by any of the story campaign level designs as I was at times in LEGO Batman 2 and LEGO Marvel Super Heroes. The open world map in LOTR is pretty vast, so I look forward to exploring more once I finish story mode (8 levels to go).

Still in my backlog are Skyrim Legendary Edition, which I purchased the week before I decided to jump on a PS4 bundle, and some obscure little game that came with my PS4 bundle, The Last of Us Remastered. I know it may seem odd to start LEGO LOTR ahead of Skyrim and TLOUR or other PS4 games I've gotten free from Plus, but I'm afraid the longer I wait on some of my backlog titles, the less chance there is that I will ever get around to playing them. By contrast, there's no way I'm NOT playing Skyrim and TLOUR, even if it doesn't happen for another six months. Not to mention, my 47-year-old shoulder button fingers needed a bit of break.

Looking at the above, I seem to have completely abandoned my Vita, which I haven't fired up since the Thanksgiving holiday weekend to play Escape Plan.

I still need to play more of Skyrim myself. I got a great deal on the legendary edition on Steam but I've only put about 5 hours in.

I'm nearing the end of Dragon Age: Inquistion. This game has taken so much time that the list of games I want to play next keeps growing. I think my next priority will be Shadow of Mordor on PC. I will play through that while I wait for my next Gamefly game to come after I send Dragon Age back.

I currently have Far Cry 4, Dying Light, and The Order 1886 in my queue in that order. After I finish Shadow of Mordor I will probably move on to which ever one of those Gamefly sends me first.

In the meantime I'm also putting in time with Binding of Isaac, Rogue Legacy, The Swapper, and Don't Starve. All of these games are nice for short bursts to give me a change of pace from Dragon Age. Outside of The Swapper I've played quite a bit of these games on Vita too.

I still need to play more of Skyrim myself. I got a great deal on the legendary edition on Steam but I've only put about 5 hours in.

I'm nearing the end of Dragon Age: Inquistion. This game has taken so much time that the list of games I want to play next keeps growing. I think my next priority will be Shadow of Mordor on PC. I will play through that while I wait for my next Gamefly game to come after I send Dragon Age back.

I currently have Far Cry 4, Dying Light, and The Order 1886 in my queue in that order. After I finish Shadow of Mordor I will probably move on to which ever one of those Gamefly sends me first.

In the meantime I'm also putting in time with Binding of Isaac, Rogue Legacy, The Swapper, and Don't Starve. All of these games are nice for short bursts to give me a change of pace from Dragon Age. Outside of The Swapper I've played quite a bit of these games on Vita too.

I'm hearing a lot of good things about The Swapper and am curious on how it plays on the Vita. I downloaded it but haven't tried it yet. Is it the kind of game I could play while watching a basketball game on the big screen?

God, how could I forget Shadow of Mordor? I really need to stop going for 100% in almost every game so I have more time to diversify. lol

I'm hearing a lot of good things about The Swapper and am curious on how it plays on the Vita. I downloaded it but haven't tried it yet. Is it the kind of game I could play while watching a basketball game on the big screen?

God, how could I forget Shadow of Mordor? I really need to stop going for 100% in almost every game so I have more time to diversify. lol

It's a different style but it's a puzzle game akin to Portal. It's not something you need sound to play but you will need to focus to solve a lot of the puzzles.

Reactions: Zookster
I just finished Dragon Age: Inquisition. This is a game I wish I would have just purchased from day one instead of renting from gamefly. It took me 62 hours and several months to beat the story. Not only that but I'm going to want to play the inevitable story DLC when that comes out. I doubt they will handle it the way the inFamous franchise has and let us play it without possession of the base game.

If you have played past Bioware games like the Mass Effect series you know what to expect here. You've got player choices, a good story, strong characters, and epic set pieces. It does differ in a number of ways though.

One positive difference is that this game is flat out huge. I'm not talking about game length because Mass Effect had plenty of that too. I'm talking about the huge, Skyrim-style world. If you see some mountain way off in the backdrop there is a good chance that you can walk there. On the way there you will have plenty of enemies to kill and side missions to do. This is a big change from the narrow space station corridors that much of Mass Effect takes place in.

There are some things I like much better about the Mass Effect series though. First, I'll take a sci-fi setting over a fantasy setting any day. It's not that the world or characters here are bad. They're actually quite good. It can just be a little tough to follow all the different factions and old fashioned dialogue at times. The other thing Mass Effect does better is combat. The cover based shooting in Mass Effect is fun. I played a rogue archer in Dragon Age. The combat consisted of holding down the right trigger to keep a constant flow of arrows flying. Then you just have to manage the cool down timers on all your special moves. There is no aiming involved. Like Diablio 3's combat, you just lock onto an enemy and hold down the attack button. As you unlock more abilities this becomes more fun but it's definitley not outstanding combat.

I do highly recommend this game if you like past Bioware games or just RPGs in general. It really has me excited to see what they can do with the next Mass Effect game running on this engine. I'll also be looking forward to DLC and future installments in the Dragon Age series. If you do decide to play this game my advice would be to not get too bogged down with side quests in the first area of the game. This is the least interesting part of the game and the side quests here aren't great. As soon as you are leveled up enough to advance the story and unlock new areas I recommend doing that. The other areas are much more interesting and the side quests are much better. I don't recommend skipping out on all the side quests as you advance though. Side quests, especially the party loyalty missions, contain some of the best missions in the game.

Only 62 hours?! My first Dragon Age 2 playthrough with only one two-hour DLC installed took me 72 hours. What a gip! lol
Seriously though, you compared it to Mass Effect, which falls in the 40-50 hour range if I do everything, including DLC, and exhaust every conversation opportunity. But there is of course less walking as you point out.

DAI is definitely high on my list, but depending on how long it takes me to get to it, I might wait for either all DLC to be out or for a complete edition first.

Only 62 hours?! My first Dragon Age 2 playthrough with only one two-hour DLC installed took me 72 hours. What a gip! lol
Seriously though, you compared it to Mass Effect, which falls in the 40-50 hour range if I do everything, including DLC, and exhaust every conversation opportunity. But there is of course less walking as you point out.

DAI is definitely high on my list, but depending on how long it takes me to get to it, I might wait for either all DLC to be out or for a complete edition first.

That's what my save file said but I'm not sure how accurate that is. Don't worry though, if you want do do everything you will certainly get your money's worth. I did a decent chunk of the side stuff but I definitely didn't do everything. The IGN reviewer claimed it took him over 90 hours for his first playthrough and he didnt 100% the game either.

That's what my save file said but I'm not sure how accurate that is. Don't worry though, if you want do do everything you will certainly get your money's worth. I did a decent chunk of the side stuff but I definitely didn't do everything. The IGN reviewer claimed it took him over 90 hours for his first playthrough and he didnt 100% the game either.

That's what I thought I heard, that it's closer to 100 hours if you do everything. I wonder how replayable it is from the standpoint of making different choices.

Well here's my first (and last) impressions of Dying Light..

I didn't have much interest in DL to be honest. I only got it because I had some "down time" in my queue and saw the game advertised and figured, "Why not?" I didn't know much about the game and kept it that way, and I didn't really get a chance to see any reviews as they didn't release the game to reviewers until the day of release.

Here's my first complaint, and I'll keep ranting about this until developers give me an acceptable answer as to why this can't be done: LET US CUSTOMIZE ALL THE BUTTONS ON OUR CONTROLLERS! For some insanely stupid reason, the jump button in this game is R1. Have you played many games where R1 is the JUMP button? You can swap it to R2, but that's not much better. This makes jumping much harder than it should be as it's not my instinct to use R1 for jumping across things. Also, it's a first person game that requires a lot of precision jumping and getting around, as they decided to implement Parkour into the game. Sadly it's implemented badly. Hell, Titanfall feels more natural using it than in this game. I think they wanted to make it like Assassins Creed in first person but movement does not feel at ALL as fluid and fun as it does in that game. And the game often will only let you grab on to ledges after jumping when it feels like it, so I often lost more health from missing big jumps than I did from the actual zombies. And the map system is broken. I spent more time looking for the actual objectives than I did getting to the spots they were at. The part that "broke" me was when I spent a good 15 minutes searching one building trying to find the thing I was looking for (whatever it was) until finally I just gave up. I even tried reloading my last save thinking it was due to a glitch but that didn't "fix" it either.

These issues could be forgiven if the game story and characters were interesting, but sadly they are worse than the gameplay. The game almost feels like a damn checklist of overused gaming cliches, except it's taking itself seriously as opposed to a game like Lollipop Chainsaw that takes the piss out of it. The characters also are less than thrilling. I've seen characters from no name cartoons that my daughter watches on Netflix with more enjoyable personalities than I saw in the little amount of time I spent here. Finally, the game takes way too long to get "going." The early fetch quests are just monotonous and they stretch on for too long. I had put down at least 3 hours of gameplay yet I still hadn't been introduced to what exactly the actual "game" is.

Oh but there is a day/night system where time is used and the game gets harder when at night because all the zombies get faster and stronger. Well I suppose that's innovative, or at least it would be if it hadn't been done first in 1988...

Despite all my complaints I can't in good conscious declare Dying Light *bad* because of how little time I spent with it, but the little I did see didn't inspire me to stick it out like Heavy Rain or Bioshock Infinite. It should be noted that this was made by the same company that made Dead Island (Techland), and the company left Deep Silver because of "creative differences" about how they felt the franchise should go. Apparently Techland wanted a more "serious" game than what DS wanted. Maybe DS was going to go with the Saints Row approach, but I doubt that considering they brought in the same company that made Spec Ops: The Line to work on Dead Island 2. But if this was the magnum opus they wanted to create that DS didn't want, I'd have to say that it looks like for now at least, DS made the right call.

Going to really try to get back into Shadow of Mordor now, although Evolve is coming later this week. Going to really try to take a break from Titanfall and MCC, but often at night I get in the mood to just shoot something.

That's a bummer. Dying Light originally wasn't on my radar at all but everything I have heard about it from the various podcasts I listen to was mostly positive. I got to the point where I was actually looking forward to playing it. I still had Far Cry 4 ahead of it in my Gamefly queue but it is the number 2 game on my list.

I'll see what they send me when they finally acknowledge that I sent Dragon Age back. I put it in the mail Monday morning and they still haven't marked it received. In that same 3 day time period with Netflix I would already have my next movie waiting for me when I got home tonight. I suppose I should be used to the fact that it takes 5 days for Gamefly to acknowledge that I sent something back then another 5 days to receive my next game from them by now.

It just boggles my mind that I have to go a third of the month with no games from Gamefly when I can put a Netflix movie in the mail on Monday, they receive it and send out my next movie on Tuesday, and I will have it in my hands on Wednesday every time.

Oh well, I want to play through Shadow of Mordor before I start my next rental game anyways. I'm also going to give Smite and maybe DOTA 2 a shot while I wait.

The TV commercials make Dying Light seem pretty cool, but I've seen only bad reviews of it. In one of them, the reviewer made a point of highlighting how all the character models look exactly the same, with just minor differences in clothing, facial hair, scars, tattoos, etc.

That's a bummer. Dying Light originally wasn't on my radar at all but everything I have heard about it from the various podcasts I listen to was mostly positive. I got to the point where I was actually looking forward to playing it. I still had Far Cry 4 ahead of it in my Gamefly queue but it is the number 2 game on my list.

I'll see what they send me when they finally acknowledge that I sent Dragon Age back. I put it in the mail Monday morning and they still haven't marked it received. In that same 3 day time period with Netflix I would already have my next movie waiting for me when I got home tonight. I suppose I should be used to the fact that it takes 5 days for Gamefly to acknowledge that I sent something back then another 5 days to receive my next game from them by now.

It just boggles my mind that I have to go a third of the month with no games from Gamefly when I can put a Netflix movie in the mail on Monday, they receive it and send out my next movie on Tuesday, and I will have it in my hands on Wednesday every time.

Oh well, I want to play through Shadow of Mordor before I start my next rental game anyways. I'm also going to give Smite and maybe DOTA 2 a shot while I wait.

That's crazy about Gamefly's turn around. I had it worse with the now defunct GottaPlay video game by mail service (even though their shipping center was only 100 miles away). That totally turned me off of that kind of service entirely.

If you get FC4, hit me up if you'd like to get into some co-op play. I'm much better at taking down heavies wielding Gatling guns and grenade launchers than I am honey badgers. ;)

That's crazy about Gamefly's turn around. I had it worse with the now defunct GottaPlay video game by mail service (even though their shipping center was only 100 miles away). That totally turned me off of that kind of service entirely.

If you get FC4, hit me up if you'd like to get into some co-op play. I'm much better at taking down heavies wielding Gatling guns and grenade launchers than I am honey badgers. ;)

Yeah, I'm sure it partially depends on how far you live from your distribution center. I don't buy the idea that it takes 5 days for mail to get from outside of Detroit to Pittsburgh though. According to Google Maps its less than a 5 hour drive from my house to Pittsburgh. Even though the shipping speed is frustrating, it's still the cheapest way for me to play all the big new releases.

I would definitely be up for some Far Cry co-op though. I'm sure some hilarious stuff happens when you throw two players into that world with all the crazy stuff you can do. I'm not sure how co-op works but I don't know if the fact that you will be so much more leveled and geared up than me will matter. If it does you might have to wait for me to unlock some stuff first.

Yeah, I'm sure it partially depends on how far you live from your distribution center. I don't buy the idea that it takes 5 days for mail to get from outside of Detroit to Pittsburgh though. According to Google Maps its less than a 5 hour drive from my house to Pittsburgh. Even though the shipping speed is frustrating, it's still the cheapest way for me to play all the big new releases.

I would definitely be up for some Far Cry co-op though. I'm sure some hilarious stuff happens when you throw two players into that world with all the crazy stuff you can do. I'm not sure how co-op works but I don't know if the fact that you will be so much more leveled and geared up than me will matter. If it does you might have to wait for me to unlock some stuff first.

From what I understand FC4 is similar to Borderlands's drop-in style of co-op, and as long as you have the basic gear and skills from completing the first few story missions, you can pretty much take on anything (i.e., it's not like Borderlands where if you have a level 10 weapon, you won't be able to dent the health of a level 14+ enemy.) In fact, there's a one-handed OP grenade launcher you unlock very early, which makes almost every mission like playing a LEGO game. It will even take out a pack of charging honey badgers!

From what I understand FC4 is similar to Borderlands's drop-in style of co-op, and as long as you have the basic gear and skills from completing the first few story missions, you can pretty much take on anything (i.e., it's not like Borderlands where if you have a level 10 weapon, you won't be able to dent the health of a level 14+ enemy.) In fact, there's a one-handed OP grenade launcher you unlock very early, which makes almost every mission like playing a LEGO game. It will even take out a pack of charging honey badgers!

Just got my confirmation that they received Dragon Age and sent out Far Cry 4. I'm happy to hear that it only took 4 days so they are ahead of schedule. We should be able to test this out around Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

Xbox One, issue with Ready to Install List & External Drive

Possible xbox Hard drive issues....is all lost

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)