Where Did HDDVD Go Wrong

Some, maybe.
I hate them for the rootkit and the way the whole affair was handled.
And this can't be undone.

Diogen.

Yeah Root kit bit me hard at work. So many of the employees had them installed at SIUE it was horrible.

Laser Disk
Root Kits
Sony's general attitude toward the 360 at first (acting like it was beneath them)

Thats what sent me on my hate mongering campaign.

...Sony's general attitude toward the 360 at first (acting like it was beneath them).
[SIZE=-1]"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]---- Mahatma Gandhi[/SIZE]
:)

Diogen.

I don't think it was one thing in particular. Studio support was the big thing. Marketing and training was another. Nearly every retailer trained there to sell Bluray first.
The name was key also- HD-DVD sounds like DVD but Bluray sounds different and with the costs of players being higher it must be better;).
Don't forget the built in PlayStation market. Many retired gamers( 30 somethings) bought the PS3 for the Bluray knowing that they could have dual purpose machine.
Lastly the name Sony - equates to quality to the non-HT person.

Yeah Root kit bit me hard at work. So many of the employees had them installed at SIUE it was horrible.

Laser Disk
Root Kits
Sony's general attitude toward the 360 at first (acting like it was beneath them)

Thats what sent me on my hate mongering campaign.

Laser Disc was Phillips/Maganvox, not Sony.

Laser Disc was Phillips/Maganvox, not Sony.

Your right. I just plopped $500 on a Sony player. Not their fault it was a horrible format. I just got mad that it was obsolete the moment I bought it. :D

Kinda like I am upset at Toshiba for not doing enough to keep HD-DVD alive.

Of course only reason I owned LD is for all the Anime on it.

Well the obvious reason for me is that A- they were being too generous, and B- they should have included the player in the Xbox 360. no wonder BD outsold HD DVD's so much, damn, i got 2 free HD DVD's instantly and 5 free mail in HD DVD's... that's 7 free movies right there... there's your 7:1 blu-ray out selling HDDVD that ive been hearing about :rolleyes: . plus, after havine 7 DVD's a lot of people won't feel the need to go shopping for HD DVD movies any time soon. technically, i think the only reason BD did so well was because of the PS3, i mean i don't think people wanted a PS3 for BD.. they wanted it for gaming and BD just seemed to be a feature that they thought theyde take advantage of, which, don't get me wrong was a brilliant move by Sony. if MS would have added the HD DVD Drive buuilt in instead of selling it seperately im sure we would be in a MUCH different situation.

I dont even think the free HD DVD's were a mistake, i mean they were only thinking about what the consumers would want and figured, hey, if they see you get free HD DVD's with it instead of having to pay $30+ for some, they'll want to get this package. it just didn't work out the way they thought.

now everyone has their reasons, these are mine and im sure some of youw ill disagree with you but these are what struck me.

and personally,, i think this format war is far from over.

What is amazing is that Sony has taken heat since the launch of the PS3 for the inclusion of BluRay. I guess now those folks smacking Sony around will congradulate them on BD's inclusion in the PS3? I doubt it.

ANd the incomplete BD players on the market.
And DRM root kits
And region coding.

Region coding is why HD-DVD appears to be fading. Disney likely would've gone neutral at the beginning if HD-DVD included region coding. Monday morning quarterbacking... :neener

I don't know the answer to the title question "Where Did HDDVD Go Wrong" but I have an answer to a related question, "What Did HDDVD Did Right".

Their biggest achievement IMHO is convincing Sony to drop the proprietary file system (some claimed borrowed from SACD) on first BDs for the UDF file system.
That automaticaly made it computer friendly. Hence, there is good chance it will be as open to "un-managed" copy as today's DVDs are.

Everything else is secondary.

Diogen.

No doubt HD-DVD did many things right, and the competition really helped BD, more than any of the BD fans would ever care to admit (even Sony). Studios had to love it, they got BD to do a ton of things for them by playing them off against HD-DVD.

No doubt HD-DVD did many things right, and the competition really helped BD, more than any of the BD fans would ever care to admit (even Sony). Studios had to love it, they got BD to do a ton of things for them by playing them off against HD-DVD.

Without a doubt--Blu Ray players would probably be $1500 and movies would look like the original Blu-Ray version of The Fifth Element (nothing like Hairspray)if it weren't for HD-DVD. HD-DVD players would now just be coming down to under $500 and transfers might look on average like Serenity (instead of Traffic) but nothing like Hot Fuzz or Pride and Prejudice if Blu-Ray didn't exist. Both formats made the other better.

For me the problem with HD DVD was all the hype about price and ease of manufacturing and then they come out at 30 bucks for new releases, until either format's new releases are 20 bucks a movie, I am not buying either.

It even seems like it has caused regular DVD prices to raise, Most of the time, I could go down to Wal-mart and pick up new ones for 14-15 bucks now anytime I go down they are 20. I have well over 100 DVDs and now my collection has kind of stalled.

For me the problem with HD DVD was all the hype about price and ease of manufacturing and then they come out at 30 bucks for new releases, until either format's new releases are 20 bucks a movie, I am not buying either.

It even seems like it has caused regular DVD prices to raise, Most of the time, I could go down to Wal-mart and pick up new ones for 14-15 bucks now anytime I go down they are 20. I have well over 100 DVDs and now my collection has kind of stalled.

New DVD releases are still $16.99 at BB. And usually BD prices at Walmart are in the 24.99 range. HD-DVD has had older titles in the $19.99 at Walmart and that is not a bad price if you don't have to have the title when it first comes out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts