Where have all the Signatures Gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure why the links are not working. I started working on it yesterday and then I had an emergency and was out of the office for the rest of the day.

I believe it is set to one link now for pub members, but will raise it to 5 in a bit. :)

So, I wonder, why get rid of the signature in favor of blank space?

Since we pay for the bandwidth and no one reads the same posts again and again why pay to send the signatures over and over again if your not looking at them. And because its also cutting out that waste the pages should load a little fast for you too. That is the idea behind that. :D

Reactions: TheKrell
I believe it is set to one link now for pub members, but will raise it to 5 in a bit. :)
Hmmm, I didn't notice that I don't seem to be showing as a Pub Member. Maybe that's my issue?
Since we pay for the bandwidth and no one reads the same posts again and again why pay to send the signatures over and over again if your not looking at them. And because its also cutting out that waste the pages should load a little fast for you too. That is the idea behind that. :D
I notice this on a couple of other Forum sites, but I never really noticed it until you flipped the switch here at SatGuys. Now I'm tuned in to it.

Is it possible to make it the last post on the page for a user instead of the first?

Every bit costs money! Good plan!!!!

I was wondering about that, myself.

Scott, here's a slightly related question: Do you get user client stats on browser window size? Say, if you could see that most users have a window that is at least 800 pixels wide you could make a determination to stack the user information in two columns instead of one longer column, reducing the length and reducing "blank" space on posts.

I would vote for the last post in the thread instead of the first. When the links were there I would use them for quickly checking on the F@H stats.
I agree ... most recent post would be best.

I'm wondering if this change is permanent or something Scott is trying.

Scott, here's a slightly related question: Do you get user client stats on browser window size? Say, if you could see that most users have a window that is at least 800 pixels wide you could make a determination to stack the user information in two columns instead of one longer column, reducing the length and reducing "blank" space on posts.
Scott experimented with all sorts of variations of this box, width, etc (I don't recall any sort of 2-column set up though) and every change had fans or critics.

Have you tried a different style ? They change this stuff a little bit. I quit paying attention to this "white space" until you mentioned it. Looking at a couple of single-sentence posts above, the height of the user-box is typically 2x taller than the "post" area. You need ~6 or more lines of post to get them about equal.

Yeah, I'm just using the Default settings for now. I may need to monkey around to see if a different style better fits my mood.

I don't think this is a good idea! A lot of times when ppl post wanting help with problems the first thing I do is look at what equipment they are using so I can make an edumicated guess at how to help them. Having to hunt for this info is counterproductive IMHO especially when/if it goes on for multiple pages.

But then again, there's always the ole copy and paste. :wink

Reactions: N6BY
I would hope people would detail what equipment they have in their post and not have to get it from their signature.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE bring back the signature. Going back through threads to find out when someone first or last posted into the thread just to find out what gear they are using in order to help them solve a problem is so frustrating!

Seriously.... Why make it so difficult to help folks? Peer support is one of the best things about SatelliteGuys!

Reactions: N6BY
That is really just silly.
If a person is having trouble with their gear, they would probably ask it in their first post of the thread. And as Hall mentioned, they should be putting that info in the post, not the sig. And how many people put their equipment in the sig anyway?

Realistically the signature should always be shown in the last message. It is because of our caching that's it is not going there immediately. I am not home but when I am I will put in a ticket and see how to adjust the cache so it displays properly.

What's kind of funny is this is a feature that I enabled when I moved to Xenforo, it wasn't working until the last update.

Reactions: TheKrell
Status
Not open for further replies.