Where is the new sat?

What with the bad weather that Sea Launch has been battling down at the Equator, Thuraya 3 won't launch until late November. Then we're looking at two months before DirecTV 11 gets launched (late January). Then two MORE months (late March) before they heave E11 up there. (Historically, Sea Launch takes about two months between launches). Then 4-6 weeks of testing. So... we're looking at Memorial Day before we'll see anything coming off of E11.

What with the bad weather that Sea Launch has been battling down at the Equator, Thuraya 3 won't launch until late November. Then we're looking at two months before DirecTV 11 gets launched (late January). Then two MORE months (late March) before they heave E11 up there. (Historically, Sea Launch takes about two months between launches). Then 4-6 weeks of testing. So... we're looking at Memorial Day before we'll see anything coming off of E11.

This is the best case scenario!

Odds aren't high that everything will work out on this schedule.

For those interested, the Thuraya-3 launch is tomorrow (11/21) at 10:25am EST. Here is a link to get the launch feed. Sea Launch Webcast

Last edited:
Right now unless the schedule has been moved up Echostar 13 is the next to go up.
I'm sure that Echostar is hoping that Echostar 11 is put into orbit some time before Echostar 13 launches. The next Echostar operated satellite will be AMC-14 which may go up in December.

I would also caution that you take the Lyngsat information very lightly. It has not been particularly visionary of late.

Nasaspaceflight.com just updated the AMC-14 launch to 1st qtr of 2008! Appears to be 2 satellites ahead of it according to the list. So I wouldn't expect it to go up in December.

Sorry, but most people are not Clairvoyant! Its accepted practice to identify a quote one is using. The original post said nothing about Animal House or the remark being in jest. At that point you’ve got to think, is this more of our school system in action? The bottom line, be clear or pay the price! :eureka

You've got to be kidding. That's a pretty famous movie quote from a pretty famous movie. Guess you don't watch many movies.

So here we have a valid discussion of new launches and their impact on the current state of the business and a bunch of humorless linear "thinkers" (and I use the term loosely) are wailing about a quote from some dopey movie. Oh, yes, more inanity will solve all of our problems, I am sure.

Meh, I think it's funnier when you don't have to put where a quote like that came from. :D

All of this is pretty sad though. DirecTV is kicking ass right now adding HD channels. It seems I'm stuck for the ride though. With the shopping season upon us, I can't afford to switch and with the writer's strike, there won't be any new shows for a while.

Hopefully by the spring Dish gets their act together.

Nope, wasn't kidding.

"We gotta take these bastards. Now we could do it with conventional weapons that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."

And to keep the thread on topic why did I quote that? Because thats how I see the new message that Echostar is "THE" HD leader. :D

So here we have a valid discussion of new launches and their impact on the current state of the business and a bunch of humorless linear "thinkers" (and I use the term loosely) are wailing about a quote from some dopey movie. Oh, yes, more inanity will solve all of our problems, I am sure.

Is this your contribution to the valid discussion? Bitching about a joke?

I am more inclined to comment on the joke than the speculation of when another satellite is launching. They are equally as useful. First off...being the TV drones that we are, nobody on here could really think that the German's bombed Pearl Harbor. I've never seen animal house and I knew it was a joke.
Secondly...being mad because a joke is a topic of discussion. Its all really a joke. DirectTV has seventy some HD channels??? Who can watch that much TV? Mad because you only have 25 or so? That is truly a problem? Lighten up man...enjoy life...laugh at a joke amongst a "valid discussion." Its not that deep.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)