Where is USB External Storage for the 942/ViP622?

navychop: Please try to be more specific!!! Exactly which holiday in which year might this take place?:D

---Doug

OUCH! Let's just hope they're not waiting until Mardi Gras falls on Feb 20 again (i.e.- not in our lifetimes). :rolleyes:

I'd like to think it'll be fairly soon...

I'd like to think so, too. I also like to think I'll win the lottery. :p

I'd love to see the external storage. I will be one step closer to going HD if they bring this and the weather channel HD on. I can eliminate an extra DVR that I have due to the fact that I need more DVR storage.

If you can spare the coin, I'd recommend the R5000HD mod option to any chomping at the bit for a way to archive their HD content.

It's really great. I only wish I hadn't waited so long to jump in. Money very well spent in my humble opinion. I still want HDD archiving, but this gives you LOTS of functionality (for HTPC playback, layoff to D-VHS, etc.).

It appears from the last Tech. Chat that there will be some restrictions on the External Storage.

1. You can copy/archive programs to the external Drive from the Onboard drive.

2. You can playback programs from the External Drive.

3. Only support for drives less than 1 Terabyte.

It's implied that the 622 will NOT record directly to the External drive so you need to move programs over to it to free up space for recording. I expect they will have an auto-archive feature though - especially if you will be paying a one-time enabling fee.

It's implied that the 622 will NOT record directly to the External drive so you need to move programs over to it to free up space for recording. I expect they will have an auto-archive feature though - especially if you will be paying a one-time enabling fee.

No, I believe Scott has posted that it WILL record directly to external storage, at your choice.

Practically the feature working - we knew that before and after CES demonstration, but they will spend another year for find out how to lock the disk to particular account/receiver and perhaps will introduce more bugs. Those bugs will petrify you same way as HDMI/HDCP nightmare for TV.

It would sure be nice to have 1000GB of storage *AND* many of the HD channels on the new MPEG4 stream. The combination would enable us to build quite the HD program library. I could archive HD movies for months. Heck, I might save some of them for a couple of years.

It would sure be nice to have 1000GB of storage *AND* many of the HD channels on the new MPEG4 stream. The combination would enable us to build quite the HD program library. I could archive HD movies for months. Heck, I might save some of them for a couple of years.

This is precisely why the Hollywood Bast***s don't want you to have a DVR and why they put the squeeze on Charlie. It's also why we have to keep archiving this stuff. I got all six Star Wars in HD for $25 (two moths of HBO). Can you imagine what that box set will cost when it's released on HD-DVD? Of course they want you to keep forking over the dough each time.

Hallmark to Launch HD Movie Channel

622 Freezes & Reboots

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)