Where to get started.

jeaves5

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 21, 2010
Wisconsin
Ok, so i am a DISH subscriber with my contract ending in May. After going through everything, I am leaning towards cutting the cable finally. My wife is on board with this, but we are having trouble fully deciding how to get our TV entertainment. We plan on subscribing to Netflix, and Hulu, as well as putting an antenna on the roof. And now after last night we will subscribe to Amazon Prime for Discovery channel shows.

What is the best way to view all of these programs? Is a Roku box the answer? Or a Netgear box? Which is better? I have a 5yo at home, is there a way to view full Nick Jr shows (Team UmiZoomi, Bubble Guppies) through those choices? Or do we simply need to rent DVDs of those shows when they are available.

I have all of the streaming boxes and my favorite is still the Boxee Box. It does more, it gets more and it finds more.

A Roku is easier to use but does not have no where near the amount of programming you can find on the Boxee Box, plus Boxee can play all your local edia including full Bluray rips, this Roku can not do that.

I just bought a Roku and have had it up for about a week and a half. I am very happy with it. It has all the channels that I will ever need and more. I hardly ever watch TV from the satellite anymore. More than likely after my contract is up I will drop the satellite and mount an antenna on the house for my local channels. My best advice is to research everything out there then base your decision on what is best for you.