Where to go

SimpleSimon said:
Yes, OTA = Over The Air = TV Antenna.

Your re-statement of configuration is much clearer - and correct. Except...

Just a few minutes ago, I was informed that, per the DPP44 instructions, nothing can be between the power inserter and the switch. Therefore, the power inserter would have to actually be at the switch - "upstream" so to speak from the diplexers.

DPP44 --- power inserter --- diplexer ---//--- diplexer --- separator === receiver

So, the power inserter needs to be as above, or on a feed without diplexers.

Wow - I am getting a little more confused. Cannot remember who anymore but I was told the diplexer HAD to be before the power inserter. I am not disagreeing with you or contradicting you - just trying to understand. I have to have the OTA capability and there is only one cable from the wall so I guess I have to move it. Although with the latest 119 disconnect there was no diplexer anywhere in the picture (connections). I do appreciate your help.

It could have been me that gave you the incorrect info about the diplexer/inserter configuration. I've always known that the diplexers have to be "together", but jut learned the inserter can be an issue. :(

There's one thing to try if you haven't already, and that's a full switch matrix reset on the 921. Pull the sat feeds. Check Switch. Pull power plug. Check Switch again. Reconnect sat feeds. Check switch for the third time.

In your case, maybe a 'reset factory defaults' would be good to do - maybe even both before AND after the matrix reset. No - no specific reason, but it sure sounds like something is fishy somewhere and needs to be flushed out.

I can't get to the feeds. No ladder - have to hire the local sat to do it and they have not proven to do the best thing. I did reconnect the cables per your suggestion (one diplexer) and it (119) was still connected this morning. Will wait and see tonight.

I'd definatly do the move of switch port 1 + power inserter to your other receiver if it happens again. It's just one less thing to worry about.

DPP44 port 1 - inserter - (house wiring) - 501 receiver
DPP44 port 2 - diplexor - (house wiring) - diplexor - separator - 921 receiver

I'm pretty sure Simon already said this if you combine a couple of his replies, I just thought I'd spell it out.

The above is pretty much my configuration if you substitute a 510 for the 501, toss in a cascaded dp34 and a few more receivers :p

I have a diplexer on the 501 but a does no good since I have a cable modem coming in on the same line from the wall so the diplexer will not get local off-air (actually I have two diplexers one line on the first one to the computer and the other line to the other diplexer. On the second one one for the sat and one for TV but off-air will not run. On the 921 I have moved the diplexer to be after the inserter and so far signal 119 is hanging in there, but then this is only the first night. Have to wait a few days to see if this works before I approach DISH for a warranty replacement.

ajohnson: You got it for sure - thanks!

I'm too tired to visualize your other diplexer setup, so I'll just spout some data.
  • Cable internet is in the 40MHz band.
  • OTA TV (and analog cable) is in the 50-900MHz band
  • satellite is in the 950-2150MHz band
  • most diplexers pass 50-900MHz on the low port, 950-2150MHz on the high port
All of the above signals CAN live on the same wire if you do everything just right.

I am almost afraid to post this since everything is working so well. I made the changes suggested by SS and the 921 has been humming along without problems since that time. Is it bad luck to post this early? I have go to off-air and back, powered off at night and so far everthing comes back OK. I did the PIP thing to the upper right hand corner and in the morning it is down at the bottom. Maybe I will not have to get a replacement after all. Will have to wait and see.

kengaz said:
I am almost afraid to post this since everything is working so well. I made the changes suggested by SS and the 921 has been humming along without problems since that time. Is it bad luck to post this early? I have go to off-air and back, powered off at night and so far everthing comes back OK. I did the PIP thing to the upper right hand corner and in the morning it is down at the bottom. Maybe I will not have to get a replacement after all. Will have to wait and see.
See, that's our SimpleSimon! Excellent! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)