Which Coolsat to Buy

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pixl

Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 27, 2010
Traverse City, Michigan
Since receiver opinions are popular thought I'd ask about Coolsat. I see a few 4000 and 5000, but mostly 6000 up on Ebay. Seems I read somewhere in here 4000 & 5000 were better. Whats wrong with a 6000? I just need dvb-s and blindscan for a second receiver.

Jim

for the normal FTA'er they're all the same

4000 was the original
5000 was the "upgraded" model....same everything different case
6000 is basically a 5000 in a 4000 case with one "difference"

the "difference" was that the "EPG" would populate further.....pretty much useless

The menus are identical but if I remember they do use different software. So dont put 6000 software in a 5000. They all work with Channelmaster too

Now the 7000/7100 have totally different menu setup and interface. While its a Coolsat it was made by someone else and resembles a Visionsat. So the 7000/7100 are the "stepbrother" of the 4/5/6000. Same mother (Coolsat) different dad (interface) :)

You cant go wrong with a 4/5/6000...any model

Here are some screen shots of the interface of the 4000 (sorry they look bad...old camera at the time) and the 5000

Attachments

• IM000481.JPG
    IM000481.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 175
  • IM000484.JPG
    IM000484.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 152
  • Picture 059.jpg
    Picture 059.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 145
  • Picture 060.jpg
    Picture 060.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 149
  • Picture 052.JPG
    Picture 052.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 150
  • IM000482.JPG
    IM000482.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 163
  • Picture 061.jpg
    Picture 061.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 164
  • CS5000 1.JPG
    CS5000 1.JPG
    760.5 KB · Views: 159
Pixl and Ice,

Here is one perk that makes the 5K and the 6K Coolsats possibly more desirable than the 4K... The after-factory FTA support from FTAFirmware for Coolsat only serves the 5K and 6K models. Also, every unique variation of the 5K and 6K use the same RS232 cable for communications.

The Coolsat 4K has one specific variation that requires a different RS232 cable than all the rest and none of the 4K series are supported by the after-factory source mentioned above.

The main difference between the 5K and 6K for me personally, is the exterior fashion design, and that is about the only thing (besides requiring their own specific firmwares). This leaves making the choice between the 5K and the 6K up to availability, price and personal taste. But, no technical reason exists, really.

RADAR

The after-factory FTA support from FTAFirmware for Coolsat only serves the 5K and 6K models.
Very important and valuable consideration!

.. This leaves making the choice between the 5K and the 6K up to availability, price and personal taste.
But, no technical reason exists, really.
None that I'm aware of.

I consider the 5000 & 6000 pretty much interchangeable.
Cosmetics are not really a concern - who cares how it looks?
Just as long as it works well.

Off hand, only one other SD FTA receiver had after-market or excellent factory firmware support.
If you find a Visionsat IV-200 around for cheap, it would be a very good choice, too.

i bought mine for 30 bucks (6k)
It is very user friendly. It doesnt do dvb s2. But what it does, it rules. The blind scan rocks.
I love the beep for dish setup, works much better then my wife beeping the signal strenth, More reliable too.
I learned a lot about FTA with this very affordable box.
Completing the school of FTA, upon graduation, i purchased a bud, an Openbox, and love all that too.
Makes u wonder. They make this wonderful box and then kind of go out of business. like selling your car cause the ashtrays are full.
:)

Very important and valuable consideration!

None that I'm aware of.

I consider the 5000 & 6000 pretty much interchangeable.
Cosmetics are not really a concern - who cares how it looks?
Just as long as it works well.

Off hand, only one other SD FTA receiver had after-market or excellent factory firmware support.
If you find a Visionsat IV-200 around for cheap, it would be a very good choice, too.

Anole,

I would like to test a Visionsat IV-200, now. Since you recommended it, I wish I had one to play with. But, I think I am done buying for a while. I have a closet full of FTA receivers (some with bad reputations) and some that I wouldn't part with, ever! Like the Coolsat 5000! I started buying more of them (the Coolsat 5Ks) when the hackers determined they couldn't use them any longer. I knew that they were excellent DVB-S receivers and I wanted to acquire as many as I could so that I would always have spare parts to keep at least one of them going for a long time. I had to stop buying them eventually, though. Currently and for the past couple of years, I have been applying my Coolsat 5K and my AZBox Premium and Premium Plus for my FTA endeavors. I am quite satisfied with both and both are incorporated into my entertainment center.

Personally, the Coolsat 5K (4K and 6K go right along) were the best FTA receivers ever made, so far. They still work and they are so inexpensive, then and now, you just cannot beat them! Of course, they don't have all the bells and whistles that everything else does now, but they are damned good! I still won't give mine up! I still use it! In the future, the Coolsat 5K might become too outdated, but I will have quite a few years to go before that happens, so I am keeping all of mine.

I am currently an advocate of the AZBox Premium and Premium Plus models. With their unique problems and glitches, I still have to love them. I get a great deal of personal support from the OpenSat company. In my mind, they are the next greatest receivers to the Coolsat early models. Not because they are so easy to use as the Coolsats are (they definitely are not that), but because they do so much more than most any others do at this time. I will keep these AZBoxes, too! Even with their quirks.

:)

RADAR

Last edited:
Ok based on the highly regarded recommendation in here, I bought up a Coolsat 6K today. Wish me luck that it works ok. The guy said it was only used on Sunday to watch church from G19. With a statement like that it has to be good!

The guy said it was only used on Sunday to watch church from G19.
interesting....wonder which service ;)

With a statement like that it has to be good!
or he could be lying through his teeth. When you get it, see what the software version is. If it starts with "NORW" then he used it more than just to watch church :)

I agree. Recently picked up 2 of them (with hackerware of course) for $15.50 :eek:
cost $16 to ship them :)

I'll have to post a modification I made to it ;)

You made the better choice.. The 4000, 5000, and 6000 do have some differences..The 4000 has a slower processor and less sdram..The 4000 would also would allow you to load the wrong file.. The 5000 and 6000 would not allow you to load the wrong file, you would get an invalid file message. the 6000 also has more sdram at 32mb than the 5000.

Small differences but they are there.. Still a nice blind scan even in this day and age. and in my eyes still a very nice picture and better than many new boxes.

Good luck with your new toy.

interesting....wonder which service ;)

or he could be lying through his teeth. When you get it, see what the software version is. If it starts with "NORW" then he used it more than just to watch church :)

It came in today, pretty clean for $30. Has ver 1.00 2006. Everything had been wiped, no channels. Seems to work ok, he said he had used it on the Adventist service.

I seem to have a problem with the few channels known to be ITC but have the $ flag. They come in on the OpenBox, but scrambled on the CS6K.

Ice,

Look like we both posted at the same time. Was just a switch pointed to the wrong sat that threw me off. CS6K working fine now. Will be going to my Father in law soon. He wants to watch tv from Costa Rica.

Jim

Status
Please reply by conversation.

trouble shooting openbox

Free Satellite Dishes- Central Valley California Modesto area

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)