Which HD Cinema Movies have you seen?Would you like to post your review of the movie?

Viridiana (1961) 4.0 stars a very rare film. Original language is spanish with english subtitles. First, the subtitles does not give the film the true meaning of the spoken native language. So if you know Spanish it is better to listen than to read the subtitles. The film is quite pleasant and one do not know what to expect about the story. It is the story of a nun who finds herself with a big dilema. She goes to visit her uncle (who was married to her aunt) and all hell break loose after that. She's very confused and tries to do the right thing but everytime she is pulled into a reality that is quite beyond her prayers. Even the poors that she tried to help failed him and at the end does she give up hope to world of corruption and injustice? Lots of ideal in social and religious morality in this one. The poor reflects the last supper in their feast.

The Journey of August King (1995) 4.0 stars This is another film that I was pleasantly surprised to watch. August a is farmer who is going home from selling his produce. On his way home he meets a young black girl who has escaped from his cruel master. His master happens to be his daughter (if I am not mistaken). August tries to help her and in his language never admits to have seen the girl. A very typical tale of slavery and its malicious intents. I was intrigued why it was called a journey and it is only revealed at the end. At the end August loses everything but yet feels very good about what he has done.

Midnight Cowboy (1969) 2.0 stars I just do not see the brilliance behind this film. The first hour of the movie was all about Joe Buck. How great he was and his early memories and dreams. He goes to NYC with the mind set that rich women will be after him just because he is a young stud cowboy. He finds out how ugly life could be when all you have is how good looking you think you are. Dustin Hoffma, played by Rizzo, says it very well "that cowboy stuff does not work in NYC. It only works with fags". Of course, Joe does not believe it until the end of movie when he finds himself in Miami and with the cowboy boots in the trash. The movie won 3 oscars for Best Director, Best Picture and Best writing. Also Dustin Hoffman and Jon Voight were nominated for best Actors but did not win. The movie itself is very obscure and probably shows the hard reality of being homeless. There are lots of part of the movies that are just not understandable and just makes you skip it to the next scene. I did not like the movie although others have raved about it. I just don't see the point of the movie.

The Thing - 3.5 stars. Ok, the PQ was not good; an old B&W film that was in poor condition and looked zoomed...the heads were partially cut off on many frames. However, the movie is a timeless 50's horror classic in which the military unearth an alien flying saucer buried in the arctic ice, only to thaw a frozen alien who has a taste for human blood. This horror flick may not meet modern day scare standards, but it is a classic for several reasons: first, this movie depicts the typical alien trying to kill humanity genre that was reminiscent of the era; second, there was mention of a flying saucer...what moonshine swilling, Frisbee/pie plate seeing yutzes ever came up with this one? The mere idea of a flying saucer is part of our distant heritage...it's classic UFO/Man from Mars genre; third, the appearance of James Arness as the 8 foot blood sucking alien post WWII and prior to his stint as Marshall Matt Dillon of Gunsmoke fame. All-in-all it's a Classic and worth a look. It even spawned the John Carpenter's 1982 remake of The Thing.:up :up

Partisans of Vilna (1986) 3.5 stars. OAR 1:33:1 A documentary about WWII and the impact of the Nazi on the village of Vilna. The village of Vilna was populated by 80K Jews before the invasion by the Nazi. By the end of war only 20k Jews survived the Nazi. The documentary brings actual footage and interviews of those secluded in the ghettos. It also interview members of the partisan resistance. The documentary brings about the information about those secluded in the ghettos and how horrifying was their lives. My take on this documentary is that War is not easy but to be in the middle of it and being hated for your heritage is even tougher. This applies to everyone who has being discriminated at one point or another. Quite a revealing documentary.

Bravo to Zero (1999) 4.5 stars not the best HD looking transfer but the story it tells is amazing. It tells the story of company "Bravo to Zero" who were sent to iraq with the mission of destroying the fiber cable communication between Bagdah and also destroy the scuds missile that were being launched to Israel. Their mission went all wrong when their own communication went dead and they could not get any support from outside iraq. They were not prepared to cope with the weather condition of the desert at night time and they were discovered by a child who they spare his life and cost them to flee for their own lives. The movie is based on a true story and gives you the chills when three of them were captured and tortured. Sean Bean plays Andy McNab very well and as he speaks in a dialogue, you can not resist feeling his emotion throughout the movie. He tries to find peace within himself and it seems like all hope will be gone and he continues to endure the torture. War is just a horror -- a nightmare. It is quite unbeliable and as an outsider you ask so many questions and find very little answers. On the other hand, in the inside the perspective is quite different and painful.

The Living Daylights (1987) 3.0 stars 2:35:1 OAR my favorite James Bond character was Roger Moore. After he retired, Timothy Dalton became James Bond. I was not very optimistic about watching any Bond movies anymore. To this date that has been the case... well until... now. In this movie, Bond finds himself in a conspiracy (kind of weak) in which a few Russians official are trying to exchange drugs (in afganistan) for diamonds. There are a few Bond like gadgets but I thought in the Roger Moore Bond movies there were more and I was expecting more. Anyway, I liked the movie and it was ok.

Moonraker (1979) 3.0 stars 2:35:1 OAR I saw this movie in the theater and was in-love with the 007 movies. Now watching it I see the deficiencies on the special effects. Back then I did not notice them. Had that ever happened to you? Anyway, it has been quite a long time since I saw this one. It has lots of entertainment to offer specially in the scenes where you can find glimpses of other movies. For example, the door lock sound to "Encounter of the third Kind", the scene where Bonds dresses like Clint Eastwood on the "Good, the Bad and the Ugly" but the background music is from the "Magnificient Seven", the group of women portraying the "women of the Amazone" and of course, the last 20-30 minutes of the movie scene reflecting "Star Wars". Whether it was an amusing plot or not, it worked to give you a smile. Of course, what are Bond movies without the beautiful women and this one was no different. CIA spy Women had a quite interested name -- Dr. Holly Goodhead. This name alone kept me smiling and looking at her and trying not to make much about her name. Lots of good quotes on this one but the last one is a great one... "My God what is Bond doing" asks the Minister of Defense. "I think he is attempting reentry Sir"... [in the big screen]. Of course Jaws performance could not be left out on this one.

Drugstore Cowboy (1989) 3.0 stars four people find themselves in isolation from everyone else by their lifestyle. Their lifestyle includes drug consumption and stealing to satisfy their habits. They move from place to place to hit the drug stores and at the same time device very good schemes to hide the drugs from the police. At the lowest point of their lifestyle, one of them dies from an overdosed. Bob, Matt Dillon, thinks it over and decides to go clean but unfortunately his wife (one of his companion) does not agree with him. It is very ironic that the same drugs that made him look like a king in front of his peers, later on are the same ones that got him shot (after his decision to go clean).

The Long Shadow (1992) 2.0 stars. A Son played by Michael York goes to Jesuralem to find out more about the father he never knew. That is the whole story of this movie. The cinematography is great and the HD transfer is very acceptable. The story is very subtle and a whole lot on the dark side of morality. The stepmother falls in love with the stepson and the stepson falls in love with the stepmother. Kind of a taboo subject on a christian-judean tradition. This film breaks the taboo and basically that is all it has. It is a very slow story and somewhat predictable. Hard to say where the story is going because it goes nowhere.

You Only Live Twice (1967) 2.5 stars 2:35:1 OAR. The fifth Bond movie starring Sean Connery. This movie was entirely filmed in Japan. Bond fakes his death and he is send on a mission to find which country is stealing American and Russian spacecrafts. In my opinion, this one was a sleeper. I slept through most of the movie. There is lots of action in the movie. Well lots of these actions the movie could have done without. The Bond marriage scene is another one that does not make sense and just seem to add more film footage to 2+ hour long movie. The story is a little weak for my taste.

Birdy - 3.5 stars. Good little movie in which Al (Nicolas Cage), a recovering Vietnam vet, is transfered to a mental hospital to help doctors treat his best friend Birdy (Matthew Modine) from a deep psychosis. The two yoots are seriously affected by the war. Birdy has always been obsessed with birds, but he now believes he really is a bird. This firms works on multiple levels in spite of Cage's poor acting and punchable sad eyes. 1.85:1 - respectable PQ - Nice FilmFest flick.

May (2002) 4.0 stars This is a very obscure cult like film. A lonely girl since childhood brings her inner most feelings out. She tries to mingle with others but her apperance seems weird to others. She also hears the voice of her best friend from childhood -- her doll. When her doll is destroyed, hell breaks loose and she goes on a Dr. Frankenstein and Re-Animator adventure. The film itself is very good and found it to be quite pleasant to watch. You never know what May is going to do next as she also wonder what is going to happen next.

Dr. No (1962). 2.5 stars. OAR 1:66:1 I guess in order to watch these earlier Bond movies with Sean Connery, one has to put everything in content. That is transformed yourself to the 1962 area were film making was not like it is today with all the special effects. The story on this one is simple and we do not get to know the mysterious Dr. No until later on in the movie. Dr. No plan is not known until later on as well. The radioactivity cleaning of Bond is just something to laugh at today but I am sure in 1962 the story will pass as "belieavable". There are lots of wholes in the story but it is passable and many times puts you to sleep. I had to watch it in two parts in order not fall to sleep. The most wonderful scenes of this movie are of Jamaica and Honey Ryder (played by Ursula Andress). What a brilliant name "Honey Ryder"... She is gorgeous specially in he bikinis.. Sound was not great. Lots of up and down...

Ugh.
I guess I won't be around here much, if at all, for a month or so.

I've never been able to get through a whole James Bond movie. I can't stand most Kung-Fu movies. And I rarely see anything compelling on Monsters that I haven't already seen.

Guess I'll go read some books or something.:(

Give them a chance... Some of them are not so bad at all. Watch the Japanese films on KungFu they are very good. On Monsters HD there are few films coming up that will be interested to watch.

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (1947) 3.0 stars. Walter Mitty (Danny Kaye) is a dreamer. Who cannot relate to him in his daydreams? Who has not had one of those dreams in his/her life? The story itself is a little interested and a good family film. I skipped most of the musical scenes since I am not too much into music but you have to admit that Rosalind van Hoorn played by Virginia Mayo looked like a doll that you have to have on this one. She is dead but left a legacy of her beauty on this film.

Live and Let Die (1973) 3.5 stars OAR 1:85:1 Very unsual Bond movies. It stars when three british officials/agents get killed. Bond is sent to investigate and finds himself against a mobs of exclusive african-american that extends from NY to New Orlean and St. Monique. In NYC Bond takes its route to Harlem and finds himself being the only white guy in the neighborhood. The taxi driver jokes about it with him when Bonds offers him $20 to follow the car to Harlem. There he meets Solitaire, played by Jane Seymour. Solitaire is beautiful and shows more skin than any other women in the film. If you look carefully when she becomes a woman for the first time (loses her viginity) she is resting in Bed and through her night gown her breast shows. I do not know if you could see it in SD TV but in HD TV is quite plain in view. Also Bond has to deal with Vooodoo. The way he does it is serious and comical. For example, the guy that resurrects from the tomb. I thought that Rosie (Gloria Hendry) who played a small part in the movie was wonderful. When she was in bikinis, it shows her wonderful body. Live and Let Die does not have lots of the conversation and expectation of a Bond movies, it looks like they deviated a little bit from it on this one. It is an enjoyable movie.

Enigma (1982) 4.0 stars A movie that from the title you wouldn't know what it is all about. I won't reveal the whole story but it is a espionage type of story with lots hidden plots that are not revealed until the end. It is quite enjoyable and in the beginning may look like a little boring but after the first 30 minutes the movie picks up in suspense.

Marty (1955) OAR 1:37:1 4.0 stars. This movie won 4 Oscars - Best Actor, Best Director, Best Picture and Best Writing. It is a simple story. Marty is a 34 year old Italian Butcher who can't get a girlfriend and everyone is pressuring him to get married. He is not the best looking guy and a bit overweight. He still lives with his mother and finds it very painful that he cannot get a girlfriend. Anybody can relate to Marty as any of us has felt the same way in our life times. There other stories within the stories that pressure Marty to make decisions that he does not want to make -- This is what we find in our daily lives, isn't it. Yet, Marty at the end does not let those pressures spoil the good "dog" he found. In my opinion, the film is so good that I expected more and thought that it was incomplete. After I finished watching it, I started thinking about the director's intend in ending the movie, the way it ended. Anyway, I will not spoil it for you. You decide for yourself if the ending was cut short or not.

Dr. No - 2.5 stars. Spare time has been hard to come by these days, but I was able to catch a couple of the Bondorama classics. I was never an early Bond fan (Sean Connery)....and this one hasn't stood the test of time. Somewhat entertaining.

Live and Let Die - 3.5 stars. An enjoyable, but not great Bond flick. Jane Seymour (Solitaire) is pleasing eye candy.

On her Majesty's Secret Service (1969) OAR 2:31:1 - 1.0 stars. I had to stop this film and just deleted after 45 minutes. It just did not keep me interest after all the effort I made to watch it. It is a long movie with a dialog that bores you to death. One scene goes to the next one and it is just too hard to keep interest in the movie. Some had hailed this movie as one of the best Bond movies, but I just do not get it. I have set it on my DVR again to watch it because I did not get it the firt time through it.

Day of the Dead (1985) 1.0 stars This movie is just tiring. The continuos bickering between the military and the civilian is just annyoing and boring. It is the same dialog every time -- "I am charge". In charge of what one may asks given the dire situation. It does have the most gross scenes of zombies eating the humans and it was quite good that the zombies ate them all. This is the feeling that this movie had after a while.

Branded to Kill (1967) OAR 2:35:1 - 1.0 stars. This movie is just a crazy film put together like a puzzle. The pieces of the dialog do not go together with each other and even the scenes do not. Therefore, this leaves the viewer all confused and saying "what the F*** is this?". I will not call this brilliant or what the director's intent was but it looks like pure nonsense to me. Maybe I should watch this again but it is hard to sit through and watch this one.

Diamonds are forever (1971) OAR 2:35:1 - 3.0 stars. This film is the last one that Sean Connery did as James Bond. The critics thought it was the worst Bond film by Sean Connery since it is like a Roger Moore Bond type film. Bond is send to investigate the black market of diamonds and finds that the diamonds are being used to create a super weapon (satellite laser -- star war) to get rid of earth missiles and cities. In the investigation Bond gets to meet Tiffany Case (played by Jill St. John). Tiffany Case impresses you with her "cheeks" showing through her bikinis. Plenty O'Toole (played by Lana Wood) has a small role in the film but she shows plenty for her small role. Finally, how can one not mention Bambi and Thumper as they battle Bond in that last scene.

A View to a Kill (1985) OAR 2:35:1 - 2.5 stars In this film Max Zorin (played by Christopher Walken) plots to get 100% financial share of the chip industry. Silicon Valley has 80% of computer chips and Zorin wants him. He plans an elaborate plot to get it and Bond by mere incident of another investigation stumbles unto his diabolic plan which also brings some Nazi ideas into the film. Grace Jones (May Day) was real good on this film and I liked her as a Bond adversary. Yet this movie does not provide the Babe that will WOW you or do something provocative like in the earlier Bond movies.

The Son's Room (2001) 2.0 stars. A story about a couple life daily life and their children. In the story the son dies in a diving accident and the father keeps asking himself the "what if" question. A question that is hard to answer. If you are a parent, you would understand the emotions that this parents are going through. A simple story yet significant but without an ending...

Sean Mota said:
Ok, we know that some folks don't like some of these movies and have never heard of some of them. I have seen a few which I will list later on but would like to start this thread to see if you can give us your opinion as to which Movies you saw and give us your review.

Here's the system we would use...

5 Stars Review Excellent
4 Stars Review Very Good
3 Stars Review Good
2 Stars Review Poor
1 Star Review Don't bother

I would like serious reviews with explanation as to why you like or dislike the movie. Everything from HD Transfer, to plot, etc. Doesn't have to be extensive
but to the point and objective.

I'm confused, Sean. I just opened this thread today, I was suprised that so many folks had seen HD cinema. The main force behind HD cinema, Quvis, is located here in Topeka. I've still not seen digital cinema as there are no theaters nearby. Am I probably confused?:D

toto said:
I'm confused, Sean. I just opened this thread today, I was suprised that so many folks had seen HD cinema. The main force behind HD cinema, Quvis, is located here in Topeka. I've still not seen digital cinema as there are no theaters nearby. Am I probably confused?:D
I'm not Sean, but maybe I can help:
"HD Cinema" refers (or at the time the thread was started "referred") to the movie channels carried by Voom. They had eleven of them, ten of which were grouped together and collectively called "HD Cinema". The channels were given clever names such as "HD Cinema 1, HD Cinema 2, HD Cinema 3 ...". It wasn't until later that the movie channels were given names and themes such as "Gunslingers, GuyTV, FilmFest, Divine, WorldCinema", etc.

Does that help at all?
And what is Quvis?

NNAB 2008: NBCU Tackles Digital Downconversion

Is Eureka coming back?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts