Which is correct?

indyscott

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
Indianapolis, IN
I have a hdtv compatible or monitor. It still needs something for HDTV. Dish rep told me that due to my having a HDTV box which I get about 25 HD channels from Dish, I just need an hd antenna and can run it through the receiver and get HD locals plus the .1 and .2 channels etc. Went to a tv shop today and they insist I need a $400 tuner in order to get HD locals. I don't know who is right and I dont know who to trust. I live in Indianapolis and would like to get the Indy locals plus maybe Lafayette, Terre Haute etc. if possible. Any help would be appreciated.

If you have a DBS HD box that includes a ATSC tuner (what model is yours?) then all you need is a correct antenna for your DMA area, connected to the antenna IN, and aimed to the correct heading. Inside the DBS box you might need to perform some sort of signal search or redo the box's initial setup to tune (dependent on your make & model). If that "TV shop" isn't familiar with dish Network or DirecTV hardware, they may not understand that some receivers already have the necessary tuner built-in.

Last edited:
It's a dish 1000 system. If it didnt have this tuner..how would I get the HD channels I do get from dish? The dish tech guy seemed so sure I could do this.

Dish 1000 is the satellite dish. What the the receiver's model number? 622? 211? etc?

AFAIK all current Dish Network HD receivers have the "$400 adaptor" built in. So yes, chances are that you only need an antenna to get locals in HD via the Dish receiver. If you live within 10-20 miles of the HD towers, you only really need a set of $30 rabbit ears. It does the trick for me and my computer HD tuner. But an outdoor antenna would be better

See ya
Tony

yes you can just hook an antenna up and get the HD locals (and the -1, -2 ones)

I have a 811 just for the digital channels (TheTube rocks!)

Just buy an antenna and hook it up on the back of the box

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts