Which Roku to buy?

jerryez

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Pensacola,FL
I see so many different models of Roku for sale on Amazon. Other than price, what features should I look for. Is there a best model(yet not too expensive).

I see so many different models of Roku for sale on Amazon. Other than price, what features should I look for. Is there a best model(yet not too expensive).
Currently the Ultra is the best model. I dont find any of them overly expensive personally, but if cost and bang for your buck is important, the streaming stick + is probably the best combo of features for your dollar.

The Ultra only comes with headphones. I do not need them.

Plus the headphone output on the remote if you need it.

The sound is much better using headphones with the remote instead of the bluetooth or wired on a smart phone.

Also the Ultra does HDR, I do not know if the other models do, you can also run the Ultra wired or wireless, all the Rokus in my house are wired so never have a drop.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

The sound is much better using headphones with the remote instead of the bluetooth or wired on a smart phone.

Also the Ultra does HDR, I do not know if the other models do, you can also run the Ultra wired or wireless, all the Rokus in my house are wired so never have a drop.

The stick + and the premier also do HDR. The biggest diff is a slight speed boost with the Ultra, and the ethernet addition. If you are running or planning to run it on wifi, then Id probably go with the Stick + as it has a better remote that the premier. and costs less than the Ultra.

How about htis model at Amazon:
Amazon product ASIN B07HDBZN7Q
That one will do most everything that the others offer, but the remote is IR only as someone else stated. I do think the other remotes are worth the cost increase as they are not line of site, and also contain tv volume and power control (and headset capability with the ultra).

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I want wired ethernet and it looks like the Ultra is the only model that has ethernet.
Wal mart also offers a Roku LT as an exclusive that offers ethernet. Its $79 which normally undercuts the Ultra a bit. However the Ultra is on sale for the same $79, so with that being the case, I see no reason to get the LT instead.

Walmart is running a special on the Streaming Stick+ model for $39.99. A friend of mine picked up two last Friday and he loves them. Does 4K + HDR, enhanced remote with wifi direct. Of course, this won't help you if you need a wired connection. But just thought others might enjoy the special price.

Last edited:

Better have a lot of batteries if you use the headphones.

I have two Roku Express+ with the Wifi remotes. I have two different sets of channels on them. They work fine. One is on an older set with A/V inputs. The other on a newer set. One is 4K, even though I do not have a 4K set, it works a bit faster. I have an old LT I bought back in 2013. I no longer use it though. But for me the Express+ units do well.

I ordered the Roku Ultra from Amazon for $79. It will be here Friday. Could have picked it up at local Walmart for same price, but I try to stay away from groups as much as possible. I want the ethernet. I have been streaming thru my TiVo, but it loads very slowly. My tv is a smart 4k, but it has no output and I need the output from my AV receiver to run HDMI to other tvs.

I have the very 1st Roku ... in fact, I have a solid clear Roku somewhere that you can actually see thru...that one wasn't released I don't think...but i still have it.
Most recently, I've been buying the Ultras. Got 1 stick, but the ultra is where it's at for me.
If the connection is wifi and it matters if you need 5ghz or 2.4ghz, then the stick doesn't do 5ghz. I do believe the ultra does?? Not 100% on that because I use ethernet.

I have the very 1st Roku ... in fact, I have a solid clear Roku somewhere that you can actually see thru...that one wasn't released I don't think...but i still have it.
Most recently, I've been buying the Ultras. Got 1 stick, but the ultra is where it's at for me.
If the connection is wifi and it matters if you need 5ghz or 2.4ghz, then the stick doesn't do 5ghz. I do believe the ultra does?? Not 100% on that because I use ethernet.

The Streaming Stick+ is 5ghz wifi capable.

The Streaming Stick is a great middle ground for a Roku device. Personally, I picked up 3 Ultras last Black Friday for $50 and run them on all my TVs. Since I've streaming only now, I will just use the Ultras on my TVs and upgrade them when I can since they are the snappiest devices within the various guides.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)