Which Switches Needed for 14 Receivers?

dilkidkhan

Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
Alabama
My setup is 2 satellite dishes (500 & 300) going to 14 311 receivers. My question is what kind of switches do I need to buy to make this setup work. I have seen 12 receivers hooked up using 3 DP-34 switches which I can see possible on a graphic layout on a DP-34 which shows the first switch allowing you to connect to 2 extra switches. Each switch allows you to go to 4 receivers. Do I need to buy 4 DP-34's, will it allow me to add on? Also, is there any other kind of installation I need to do/buy or just hook everything up and do the check switch test?

Seems like you need some sort of a commercial setup about which I know nothing. But... You could use a quad on the 500 and a dual on the 300 and hook them both up to two chains of DP34 switches. That is a WAG, so don't count on this working.

2 wires for 500 quad lnb and 1 wire for 300 single was used in the setup I saw with the 12 receivers, so total of 3 wires going into the 3 inputs for the DP-34. the 500 quad lnb is being used to pickup 119 and the 300 is for 61.5.

you said 2 chains of dp34 switches meaning 2 sets? each dp-34 has 4 receiver outputs so the setup I saw was 3 switches x 4 for the 12 receivers but I'm not sure if I can just add another switch for my setup because of the picture layout only showing a max of 2. I'm thinking I can but I want to ask one of the installers here. Thanks.

Last edited:
Just make two switch strings like the 12-receiver setup you saw. The quad has 4 outputs, two of which were unused in that setup, but would be needed to go to another DP34 string. The 300 should have a dual, and it also has a free output for your 2nd string. With 2 strings of 3 DP34's each, you could hook up 24 receivers. ;)

Just make two switch strings like the 12-receiver setup you saw. The quad has 4 outputs, two of which were unused in that setup, but would be needed to go to another DP34 string. The 300 should have a dual, and it also has a free output for your 2nd string. With 2 strings of 3 DP34's each, you could hook up 24 receivers. ;)

I had a diagram that had a quad lnb going into two different strings of DP34s. If I find it I'll post it. Like TheKrell said you can actually connect 24 receivers. Found it:

Attachments

• dp34_05.jpg
    dp34_05.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 308
actually I guess I bought the wrong dish, my 500 dish isnt a quad LNBF, it is the dual (total of 3 outputs - 2 for 119 & 1 for 110). So is it possible to run each of the 500 duals' outputs to 2 switch strings and the 300 dual's 2 outputs to the 2 switch strings and make it work? That will leave 1 input in each switch unused. Also than I guess I will only need to 4 switches for a total of 16 receivers with 2 being unused. Will that work or will I have to buy a quad? I'm asking because I have to spend the money on the equipment and I want to be sure before I spend. Thanks.

actually I guess I bought the wrong dish, my 500 dish isnt a quad LNBF, it is the dual (total of 3 outputs - 2 for 119 & 1 for 110). So is it possible to run each of the 500 duals' outputs to 2 switch strings and the 300 dual's 2 outputs to the 2 switch strings and make it work? That will leave 1 input in each switch unused. Also than I guess I will only need to 4 switches for a total of 16 receivers with 2 being unused. Will that work? I'm asking because I have to spend the money on the switches and I want to be sure before I spend. Thanks.

You probably have a DPP Twin, the satellite IN input is disabled once you connect it to a switch.

I would just buy a DP Quad and run one string with 2 DP34s and another string with 2 more DP34s. Here's a diagram for 14 tuners, using a Quad LNB.

Attachments

• dp34_04.jpg
    dp34_04.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 245
actually I guess I bought the wrong dish, my 500 dish isnt a quad LNBF, it is the dual (total of 3 outputs - 2 for 119 & 1 for 110).
There is no such animal, although the 1000.2 and 1000.4 (and 1000.3 and 1000.5 for completeness) have an integrated LNB/switch assembly with 3 outputs. If your "dual" is wide, or has exactly two white eyes (the feedhorns), then it's called a "twin", not a "dual". Confusing nomenclature, I know. You probably have a DishPro Plus twin as Randall said above. You can keep the dish and Y-shaped yoke, but you'll have to replace the DPP twin with a DishPro quad to do what you want. Do not buy a legacy quad either! Used DP quads are going for around $20 on ebay.

OK, yes it is a twin and I will buy the dual but how do I not buy a legacy quad? All the ones on ebay say legacy in auction description.

You can also just do 2 chains of 2 DP34s for 16 outputs. Just a little less wiring.

If you can't get a Dishpro Quad, (which can be temperamental going into DP34s) you can use 2 Dishpro duals on the 500 dish as well.
They are usually cheaper and easier to find or replace.

Has anyone ever tried to set up two strings of switches by just splitting the line from the duals? By this I mean 3 duals with one line each, each line split to go to 2 banks of switches. I am aware of the alternatives, just wondering if this would work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts