Which to choose

plumfam4

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh
I am looking into adding either StarChoice or ExpressvVu really wanted it for hockey and additional sports and HD I know both now have nhl center ice. I have priced receivers and not a big price difference. Just wondering what people think of each service. I am in western Pa. Thank for any help.

Bell will have 4 channels of NHL CI HD. EVU also will have more NFL ST HD than SC.

In Pittsburgh, you will be able to get all EVU and SC channels.

Big difference in basic HD programming costs - check out their websites. Also the cost of cancellation is quite different.

The HD PQ on the 6100 is not as good as other hardware + it's an obsolete receiver that isn't MPEG4 upgradable. Expressvu is just dumping stock on this unit now.

Look at the NFLST + NHLCI cost on SC vs Expressvu.

There is lots of speculation on how many HD channels will be used for ST and CI , however no hard facts from either supplier. That's because contracts have not yet been finalized for the new "Must Carry" movie service Superchannel. Minimum will be 6 SD + 1 HD. But it is speculated that SC will carry 2 SuperChannel HD as they have already announced the upcoming addition of MMOR - the 2nd TMN HD channel.

I am looking into adding either StarChoice or ExpressvVu really wanted it for hockey and additional sports and HD I know both now have nhl center ice. I have priced receivers and not a big price difference. Just wondering what people think of each service. I am in western Pa. Thank for any help.

I am in the same predicament as you. I have been an NHLCI subscriber on DTV for many years in Philly market with no RSN. Meaning no Flyer games and limited HD games. I would go with BEV in a heartbeat if they only came out with the new mpeg4 receivers. Hate to spend money on their present receiver that will be obsolete in short period of time. Now that SC is offering NHLCI I debate the situation as well. If the customer only knew what he was getting in respect to HD hockey games before making a decision would be nice.

I'm not too far from you geographically, in New Jersey, but my hockey allegiance is worlds away as a Devil fan. :)

We do have one thing in common though, HD broadcasts being held hostage by greedy cable companies. Comcast holding the CSN games and Cablevision holding the FSN and MSG games.

I've got BEV here and I love it. HD hockey almost every night but not too many Devil games. Seems like the majority of the HD feeds come from NESN, FSN Pit, and Altitude. I've never seen a CSN HD, MSG HD, or FSN NY HD feed on CI.

I'm not too far from you geographically, in New Jersey, but my hockey allegiance is worlds away as a Devil fan. :)

We do have one thing in common though, HD broadcasts being held hostage by greedy cable companies. Comcast holding the CSN games and Cablevision holding the FSN and MSG games.

I've got BEV here and I love it. HD hockey almost every night but not too many Devil games. Seems like the majority of the HD feeds come from NESN, FSN Pit, and Altitude. I've never seen a CSN HD, MSG HD, or FSN NY HD feed on CI.

So in your opinion with hockey just around the corner would you recommending purchasing the BEV 9200 receiver now or wait for the new receiver to come out.

You're well within Expressvu's footprint (I get all the stations here in York County). So you're safe with either service.

311Man said:
So in your opinion with hockey just around the corner would you recommending purchasing the BEV 9200 receiver now or wait for the new receiver to come out.
I would go ahead and get the 9200 now. People have been predicting it's replacement for well over a year, and it's still going strong with no replacement.

I've got the 6100 here. I have no need for a DVR in the sat receiver since I have two of them with FiOS. Hockey in HD is simply amazing when compared to the SD broadcast. Go for it now and worry about later when it rolls around.

Whether you want to spend the bucks for the DVR is up to you.

I've got the 6100 here. I have no need for a DVR in the sat receiver since I have two of them with FiOS. Hockey in HD is simply amazing when compared to the SD broadcast. Go for it now and worry about later when it rolls around.

Whether you want to spend the bucks for the DVR is up to you.

Does the 6100 allow you to use the interactive feature and the multi NHL channel?

Thanks for the feedback!

From a hardware point of view, BEV's receivers will be out of date in 6 months and totally obsolete in 2 years. *C has already upgraded their hardware. Each service has good and bad points but *C tends to be more friendly to 'out of province' customers. BEV readily cuts off questionable accounts. IMHO, that's 2-0 for *C.

Has SC given any indication of NHLCI HD game availability?

I doubt that SC even knows right now. Negotiations for SuperChannel HD haven't been finalized - it will be 1 or 2 HD channels. Score is demanding HD carriage on both SC and Expressvu, but Jim Shaw says to call when they reach 50% HD content.

Also Shaw HD PPV got CRTC approval the other day - so it will be carried on SC. I see that they are clearing F2 tr 25 of SD channels over the next few months, so that will open up 3 HD slots.

It probably won't be until SC goes MPEG4 HD that they will be able to offer full HD on NHLCI + NFLST.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)