Whole house video distrubution

Vice Grips

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 6, 2004
I wired mine up for it but it isn't perfect. Wired a pre-built 2 story house with RG6, CAT 5 and phone at the same time. Keystone jacks thruout. Wasn't fun but it was worth it. I have an ant. feed and a ch 3 from a sat. reciever brodcast all thru the house. Had a ch 4 too but took it off cause it made it more snowy. The ch 3 is added in by way of a signal combiner. It's a bit distorted. Ant. alone without the signal combiner it is much better but I need the sat feed in there too. I have tried diferent amps on different parts of the inputs and it does make it different but not perfect. What is a better way to blend them all together? Future expansion may mean a few security cameras outside.

Sat feeds alone are perfect and don't need to be touched.

I was chatting about a RF modulator setup I saw from Skywalker yesterday. Looks like a very promising solution. They have a few different units but this one unit catches my eye due to it's low cost and it's capabilities...The Dishstore can get one for you as they sell Skywalker. This 3 source digital modulator can backfeed to any channel (UHF 14-79) or (CATV 65-130), Says compatible with CATV and Sat receivers, VCR's, STB's, and DVD players. MSRP under $60... I would link the webpage but it's a retailer only site.

If interested it's part number: SKYMOD3.

They do have other models with even more source inputs, and even with S-Video inputs, ranging all the way up to $300 range.

I have a structured home system...I found that I had to add a distribution amp in order to clear up the distributed feeds...Dist amps can also be purchased relatively inexpensively.

Regards,
Jason

nippjas said:
I was chatting about a RF modulator setup I saw from Skywalker yesterday. Looks like a very promising solution. They have a few different units but this one unit catches my eye due to it's low cost and it's capabilities...The Dishstore can get one for you as they sell Skywalker. This 3 source digital modulator can backfeed to any channel (UHF 14-79) or (CATV 65-130), Says compatible with CATV and Sat receivers, VCR's, STB's, and DVD players. MSRP under $60... I would link the webpage but it's a retailer only site.

They do have other models with even more source inputs, and even with S-Video inputs, ranging all the way up to $300 range.

I have a structured home system...I found that I had to add a distribution amp in order to clear up the distributed feeds...Dist amps can also be purchased relatively inexpensively.

Regards,
Jason

When I looked into it a few years ago, a modulator was the only way to go. Doesn't look like much has changed. Hope at least the price has dropped. What do they go for now?

For the past few years I've been feeding two satalite receivers into my home TV wiring using a Channel Plus Modulator ($90-$300). Presently I have a 501 broadcasting on Ch38 and a 508 receiver on Ch53. These Dish receivers plug into the modulator via RCA composite/stereo cables. This CP box has worked flawlessly for years, I love it.

I am in a similar boat - I have a two-story home wired with RG6 and terminated in a single location. With help from this forum :D , I setup the wiring such that I can receive the TV2 feed from either of two dual-channel receivers in any bedroom. I have one TV2 out set to channel 21 UHF, the other to UHF 26. By tuning the bedroom Tvs to either channel, I can choose which receiver to use. I assume you can do the same with external modulators.

Attached is a wiring diagram, I hope it helps. Notice the standard coax splitter combined with 2 diplexers and the 24db amplifier in between the splitter feed and the distribution node.

Hope this helps!

- Flappy

Attachments

• Drawing1.jpg
    Drawing1.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 561
Vice grips,
The problem you are having with modulating channel 3 and 4 is that they are too close together so they interfere with each other . You need to have at least 2 un-used channels in between ( 5 is even safer ) .

why don't you become the satelliteguys 811 guy?

nippjas said:

Regards,
Jason

I used a TriplePlay modulator for about 6 years with no troubles. It finally bit it about 6 months or so ago, and I replaced it with a ChannelPlus unit that I got on EBay. Both work really well, though I like the 4 inputs of the ChannelPlus a tad better, though it cost more.

The people who made the TriplePlay even sold me a new unit at a discount, though I haven't needed it in addition to the other like I thought I would.

Brad

If you want high quality pictures throughout the house, the only way to go is with a high-quality modulator like a ChannelPlus or ChannelVision. They cost more than some of these other "cheap" ones, but you know the old saying about "you get what you pay for"!

I personally use a 4-input Channel+ Stereo modulator, that I feed on top of my 70 channel analog cable service to all my TV's in my house. The cable service stops at ch. 78 & then I modulate 3 DVR's' & a VCR on even ch's 88-94. Both the picture quality of my cable & the modulated channels look perfect, both together & combined. I also use a low-pass filter on the cable signal prior to combining with the modulator, which knocks out everything above 78, so nothing on the cable can interfear with the modulator & visa versa.

Uncle Flappy said:
I am in a similar boat - I have a two-story home wired with RG6 and terminated in a single location. With help from this forum :D , I setup the wiring such that I can receive the TV2 feed from either of two dual-channel receivers in any bedroom. I have one TV2 out set to channel 21 UHF, the other to UHF 26. By tuning the bedroom Tvs to either channel, I can choose which receiver to use. I assume you can do the same with external modulators.

Attached is a wiring diagram, I hope it helps. Notice the standard coax splitter combined with 2 diplexers and the 24db amplifier in between the splitter feed and the distribution node.

Hope this helps!

- Flappy

Are you combining the cable and satellite signals into one cable ?

I am also in similar situation -- two story home wired with a single RG-6 running to all the rooms in the house. I am trying to combine both digital cable and satellite signals onto this single cable. I was told the only way I can do this is by using a multi-switch. Was curious to see if you had any other suggestions ?

AN

HTInProgress said:

I am also in similar situation -- two story home wired with a single RG-6 running to all the rooms in the house. I am trying to combine both digital cable and satellite signals onto this single cable. I was told the only way I can do this is by using a multi-switch. Was curious to see if you had any other suggestions ?

AN
When you say "satellite signal" are you talking about the feed from the LNB/switch, or the output of the receiver? BIG difference. The first is easy (diplexers) the second can be easy (x22 box using a channel higher than the cable system high one), or hard (any other configuration).

The signal from the LNB/Switch -- I have two dishes mounted on the roof and the signals from the two are combined outside and two cables are run into the attic (serving two separate receivers). The digital cable signals are also run into the attic on a separate cable. I need to combine digital cable signals onto each of the other two satellite cables.

I am thinking a 3-way splitter to split the digital cable signals into three streams -- send one directly to the cable modem and combine the other two streams with the two satellite cables using diplexers.

Am I on the right path here ?

Thanks
AN

HTInProgress said:

AN

Keep your cable modem line as pure as possible; you are better off using a single splitter to separate your Internet feed from your TVs. You can always add another splitter for the TV feeds and amp the signal there if needed. The feed to your Cable Modem should never be amped and if you are bandwidth junkie like I am, you will notice a difference.

Just for giggles, I attached a screenshot of a CNET bandwidth test from my main PC. :D

- Flappy

Attachments

• bandwidth.jpg
    bandwidth.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 246
Uncle Flappy said:
Just for giggles, I attached a screenshot of a CNET bandwidth test from my main PC. :D

- Flappy

That's some good speed there Uncle Flappy ! I haven't run the bandwidth test in a while -- I should probably do that as I have already added one splitter to the line. I can then compare the degradation in bandwidth after I add another splitter down the line.

Based on your suggestion, I am thinking I will add a splitter to the line going to the cable STB and leave the line going to the cable modem untouched. I am pretty sure there will some degradation of HD signals going through two splitters and two diplexers (combining with satellite signals) after that.

Where would I add the amp for the TV signals to compensate for the degradation ?

Keep in mind one of the issues with video distribution is getting that IR distributed as well. That means more components to buy.

Oh, and the installer I had today installing the 522 reminded me of a previous post here by Scott that Dish is working on a Quad tuner receiver designed specifically for the home distribution folks. All four outputs able to be modulated with an angile modulator and mts stereo. No word on when yet, but it's on their radar.

HTInProgress said:
...Based on your suggestion, I am thinking I will add a splitter to the line going to the cable STB and leave the line going to the cable modem untouched. I am pretty sure there will some degradation of HD signals going through two splitters and two diplexers (combining with satellite signals) after that.

Where would I add the amp for the TV signals to compensate for the degradation ?

There are a couple of different kids of amps you can buy, I am using an inline amplifier from Radio Shack. It seems to work pretty well but I am sure there are others out there that are cheaper. Just keep in mind that you do not want to amplify the DC Pass through the diplexers; you should only amplify the feed to the TVs. I am not sure what the loss is through diplexers but every 2-way splitter costs 3.5dB, 3-way is 7dB, etc.

Let me know how it goes!

- Flappy

Cool...will stop by Radio Shack ir Fry's today and pick up an amplifier. I am eager to see the results of the setup -- will let you know how it goes.

Thanks
AN

Mike_H said:
Keep in mind one of the issues with video distribution is getting that IR distributed as well. That means more components to buy.

Oh, and the installer I had today installing the 522 reminded me of a previous post here by Scott that Dish is working on a Quad tuner receiver designed specifically for the home distribution folks. All four outputs able to be modulated with an angile modulator and mts stereo. No word on when yet, but it's on their radar.

I picked up a couple extra UHF remotes on E-Bay. I no longer have to carry the remote room-to-room. :)

- Flappy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts