Why Blu-Ray Should Never Have Existed

But it does exist so what exactly is Rob saying -- he doesn't like BluRay. The PS3 is ahead of the PS2 in the same sales history timeline. Well apparently he is not reading hardware sales numbers coming from serveral venders either. Seems BD standalones is starting to outsell HD-DVD standalones. Along with the sales lead in discs sales (only the US market is not at least 3 to 1 -- here it is just 2 to one for now) Gee, more and more it sounds to me like Rob is crying about spilt milk.:rolleyes:

I agree. There was no reason for BD to begin with. But with HD DVD's higher attach rate, every player sold whittles away at the faux BD lead due to PS3 and eventually it will die.

But it does exist so what exactly is Rob saying -- he doesn't like BluRay. The PS3 is ahead of the PS2 in the same sales history timeline.:

XBOX 360 has outsold PS3 for the 9th month in a row...

The PS3 is ahead of the PS2 in the same sales history timeline.
The big question is whether the software is there to justify the PS3 as a gaming console or whether it is being used primarily as an affordable entry into the Blu-Ray movie player.

The fact that the Blu-Ray standard seems somehow like a work in progress is difficult to ignore.

I agree. There was no reason for BD to begin with. But with HD DVD's higher attach rate, every player sold whittles away at the faux BD lead due to PS3 and eventually it will die.

But Vurbano, now there are retailers stating that BD standalones are outselling HD-DVD standalones. There has been no change in the discs sales balance even with the sub $300 HD-DVD player and 5 free movies. How in the heck is that happening?

What is going to happen when Pixar's Cars and Disney's Rautoiue comes out only on BD this XMAS? Is there anyone here who thinks that family man is going to buy a HD-DVD player and Shrek 3 over a BluRay player and these two hits? If you do I have some swamp land for ya.

Warner and Disney are huge lyncpins in this game of cat and mouse between BluRay and HD-DVD. If the status quo stays the same (and it looks like it will for awhile) then you HD-DVD guys need to be prepared to be burried this XMAS. And if that doesn't happen then I will probably owe someone a DR. Pepper!:)

ps:heavens forbid if BD comes out with a sub $300 player!

...If the status quo stays the same (and it looks like it will for awhile)...
Haven't you claimed the same before Paramount left the sinking ship...? Should I find your quote?
What wine do you prefer your crow with? Or is it just Dr. Pepper?

Diogen.

What is going to happen when Pixar's Cars and Disney's Rautoiue comes out only on BD this XMAS? Is there anyone here who thinks that family man is going to buy a HD-DVD player and Shrek 3 over a BluRay player and these two hits? If you do I have some swamp land for ya.

Does anyone think that ANYONE is buying kids movies on BR or HD DVD when most kids are watching them on $99 combo VHS/DVD players, portable DVD players, or the backseat of their minivan/SUV?

The kids movies won't drive adoption rates..... You could make an argument for James Bond movies to do so, since "Dad" will pony up for a better picture, but kids' movies won't drive people to upgrade..... Lucky for us it will be another 2-3 years before another Bond movie gets released in HD.

Then again, if there was JUST an HD disc that came with a standard DVD layer on the other side, then we could have our cake and eat it too. Oh wait, we do.....

Come back from the Dark Side, Joe. The Force is strong with this one.

I have a grandson and he will be interested -- his mother already is. Several of my cousins whose kids are just now hitting their teen years are asking for HD upgrades and Disney swings alot of clout in those homes. We have time -- there will be two formats for at least another year or two so we will see who poneys up for what.

I think a lot of the time it's Daddy who wants HD, and the Disney angle gets buy-in by the kids and She Who Must Be Obeyed.

But Vurbano, now there are retailers stating that BD standalones are outselling HD-DVD standalones. There has been no change in the discs sales balance even with the sub $300 HD-DVD player and 5 free movies. How in the heck is that happening?

Warner and Disney are huge lyncpins in this game of cat and mouse between BluRay and HD-DVD. If the status quo stays the same (and it looks like it will for awhile) then you HD-DVD guys need to be prepared to be burried this XMAS. And if that doesn't happen then I will probably owe someone a DR. Pepper!:)

ps:heavens forbid if BD comes out with a sub $300 player!

You said the same thing a few months ago about the two Pirates of the Carribean movies. Something like "When they come out, it's the end of HD-DVD".

Really, the only people buying these formats are folks like us who love the "hi-tech" crap. Most of the population could care less. As far as Cars goes, that movie appeals more to older folks like us who can relate. Kids don't seem to like that movie as much as the earlier Pixars. In that respect, you may be right about it generating BD sales, but I doubt it will generate huge sales at Christmas. Those will be reserved for the next generation iPods! :D

I have a grandson and he will be interested -- his mother already is. Several of my cousins whose kids are just now hitting their teen years are asking for HD upgrades and Disney swings alot of clout in those homes. We have time -- there will be two formats for at least another year or two so we will see who poneys up for what.

Do you make your family drink the same Kool-Aid you drink?

Let's take the angle that daddy is the one who has the hots for HD. Now lets thrown in the WAF and the kids. What better way to get the WAF then to show her all the Disney titles you can pick up for the kids? What are you gonna show her, the Borne movies, the Trek movies , King Kong and Carlito's Way and say the kids are really gonna love these movies?

Maybe dad has the hots but it is momma who allows the fix. And if there are kids involved -- Disney is gonna come up big in the help department.

Do you make your family drink the same Kool-Aid you drink?

I wish. Don't have any kids do you. If you did you would know that you can not make your kids do anything. Besides mine are grown adults starting their own families and making more money then I ever thought of when I was their age. Daddy is just supposed to say yes and that looks good. Looks like I am drinking their Koolaid!;)

Hah.. how can a clearly superior format (far more space) be a product that should have never existed. Only someone silly enough to rush out and buy a piece of garbage HD dvd player would be daft enough to say that! Before someone says something about why I say that, I do not own either format, a ps3 or an xbox 360.... I am waiting it out and loving dishes ppv HD and archive capability in the interim! ;0