Why Blu-Ray Should Never Have Existed

Hah.. how can a clearly superior format (far more space) be a product that should have never existed. Only someone silly enough to rush out and buy a piece of garbage HD dvd player would be daft enough to say that! Before someone says something about why I say that, I do not own either format, a ps3 or an xbox 360.... I am waiting it out and loving dishes ppv HD and archive capability in the interim! ;0

So, if it is clearly superior, what are you waiting for?

Hah.. how can a clearly superior format (far more space) be a product that should have never existed.
The "far more space" issue is up for debate. Sony was hoping that Blu-ray might be addopted for storage means, but cheap flash drives and hard drives have rendered that unecessary. Like my wife say's "it's not how big it is, it's what you do with it!":)

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm gonna dodge the exclusivity problem on Terminator 2 by buying from an overseas source.

Let me know how you make out doing the same for Transformers on BluRay.....

I'm one of those folks needing/using backup storage. 50-100GB. Blu-ray would be a great backup medium. Not as fast as an external HDD, but much smaller, and much easier to transport without damage. Remember, small businesses like us need to make a daily backup and carry it offsite. Carting HDDs back and forth each day is just asking for trouble. BDs are much less damage prone. And better than the tape we're using today.

Yeah, I'm gonna dodge the exclusivity problem on Terminator 2 by buying from an overseas source.

Let me know how you make out doing the same for Transformers on BluRay.....

Hey Bob, let me know how you make out getting any of the Spiderman movies on HD-DVD from overseas. ;)

My point is there are several BluRay "exclusives" that I can get from overseas. T2 is always a fave (I think I've bought it like 3 times already... Video, Special Edition Laserdisc, and then the Metal DVD case with the seamless branching and the extra scenes where Arnie gets his read/write setting on his processing chip modified in the garage...) so I may spring to get one overseas. As far as I am aware, thanks to BluRay region coding, you guys are SOL dodging the content blockade....

I always liked having the overseas option on Laserdisc. I got DD5.1 on the Phantom Menace on laserdisc while George only let us have VHS copies here in 2000. I hope HD DVD survives and lets me continue to have this capability.

If combo players ever come down out of the stratosphere I may get one, but the last one couldn't even meet all the capabilities of the HD DVD spec, and the new one is still priced way too high. If it hits $300 I'll jump. Until then, I'm an HD DVD only guy. At least until 12/31/08 which is when a winner should be more clear....

Spiderman 3 just won't get bought by me. I'll wait for HBO HD in May, 2008. Already saw it in the theaters and was underwhelmed anyway....

Both Have Failed in my Mind

I wish. Don't have any kids do you. If you did you would know that you can not make your kids do anything. Besides mine are grown adults starting their own families and making more money then I ever thought of when I was their age. Daddy is just supposed to say yes and that looks good. Looks like I am drinking their Koolaid!;)

OK First off i Have 3 kids. and there is now way in hell i am spending $299 for a player for there TV Never Mind $500!!!

and while we are on the subject. The only DVD Format that has all the movies on it is SD DVD.

So untill I can purchase any Hi deff DVD and play it on a $150 player at most, I will not be supporting either one of the FAILING formats.

They have both failed in my opinion because not 100% of all Studios Press disks in that format.

I can buy last years movies on SD dvd for $5 to $10 at target and walmart.

You May have Money to Burn on this, But since the cost of living has gone threw the roof I don't and i don;t see J6P having it either.

Or in the immortal words of Whoopi Goldberg......

"You can't make butter with a toothpick"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts