Why Blu-ray will be the next DVD

Aside from not liking the author's attitude, I have to disagree with the conclusion.

I remember the C(apacitive)D(ischarge) .vs. LASER Disc battle well.

Blu-ray is too expensive to turn enough heads just as LASER Disc was too expensive for its day.

Joe Sixpack may not be very discriminating, but he does have to live within a budget.

Are you guys under the impression that Blu-ray should be the same price as DVD? I hope not. I would like them to be cheaper but I understand paying a premium for the better features and quality of BD.

Now up converting is just as good as HD content,Comparing BD to Laser Disk, downing loading is the next thing and now BD has to be cheaper than SD. Anymore excuses???

Aside from not liking the author's attitude, I have to disagree with the conclusion.

I remember the C(apacitive)D(ischarge) .vs. LASER Disc battle well.

I guess I missed out on the Capacitive discharge vs. laser disc battle. who won? Is there any chance that you are referring to the CED disks and players that were marketed by RCA, Toshiba and a few other companies in the early 80s? i think that stood for Capacitance Electronic Disc but I could be wrong. They really competed with VHS and Beta but were never a big player---though you can still find them in bargain bins. on Ebay etc. The lack of recording capabilty , one hour per side capacity and problems with playback (it was an anlog system using a needle) prety much meant that it wasa goner from the start.

LD on the other hand limped along till about 1990.

Last edited:
Humans seem to have an innate need to collect things. Combine that with our society's marketing engine that's constantly pushing the next "must have" title, and you'll have an endless supply of consumers that like to have shelves full of those pretty blu boxes with colorful graphics containing hours of entertainment. There's also the gifting aspect too. Much easier and more attractive gifting (and sharing for that matter) movies on disc than as downloads. So eventually as prices on BD players come down, and people need to replace their DVD players, Blu-ray will supplant SD DVD.

Now up converting is just as good as HD content,Comparing BD to Laser Disk, downing loading is the next thing and now BD has to be cheaper than SD. Anymore excuses???

Other then you and the CEO of Toshiba can you show me any documentation, any site where profession calibrators state, or any magazine or internet article states that upconverting is just as good as HD? You guys trying to pass this bunk must be blind. If you have a 1080p set no and I repeat -- no 480i DVD will ever come close to the picture quality and resolution of a 1080p BD not today -- not tommorow. No 480i DVD will ever come close to audio quality of a PCM, DolbyTrueHD or DTSMasterHD sound track - not today and not tommorrow. The only place where a upconverted DVD is going to 'look' as good as HD is in a theater for the blind!

The bottom line is that 480i just does not have enough resoloution, enough picture information, enough sound information to look as good as HD (BD). Keep fooling yourselfs if it makes you feel good -- but if you paid attention in the math class -- then you will understand these numbers -- dvd 345600 pixels HD (BD) 2073600 pixels. HD is 6 times the resolution and information of a regular DVD. Put that upconverted DVD on a 60" or larger 1080p set and then look at the same movie on BD on the same set. And this time -- put your glasses on!

Last edited:
Any particular reason you seem to think prices won't come down?
With prices high now, they will rise more when profile 2.0 gets released to the masses. That fact has to be factored in to the price/timeline.

JoeSP - "345600 pixels HD (BD) 2073600 pixels." but is that a $500+ difference for J6P on a budget??

Other then you and the CEO of Toshiba can you show me any documentation, any site where profession calibrators state, or any magazine or internet article states that upconverting is just as good as HD? You guys trying to pass this bunk must be blind. If you have a 1080p set no and I repeat -- no 480i DVD will ever come close to the picture quality and resolution of a 1080p BD not today -- not tommorow. No 480i DVD will ever come close to audio quality of a PCM, DolbyTrueHD or DTSMasterHD sound track - not today and not tommorrow. The only place where a upconverted DVD is going to 'look' as good as HD is in a theater for the blind!

The bottom line is that 480i just does not have enough resoloution, enough picture information, enough sound information to look as good as HD (BD). Keep fooling yourselfs if it makes you feel good -- but if you paid attention in the math class -- then you will understand these numbers -- dvd 345600 pixels HD (BD) 2073600 pixels. HD is 6 times the resolution and information of a regular DVD. Put that upconverted DVD on a 60" or larger 1080p set and then look at the same movie on BD on the same set. And this time -- put your glasses on!
That ws sopose to be a jole. Read between the lines....:D

Are you guys under the impression that Blu-ray should be the same price as DVD? I hope not. I would like them to be cheaper but I understand paying a premium for the better features and quality of BD.
Inorder for boasts such as "it will replace DVD" yes it will have to sell for that price or d@mn close to it inorder for that to happen.

Last edited:
Blu-Ray will be fine as long as they implement it in correctley..Most of the time on most sites folks are clueless when it comes to any type of Tech Stuff..

With prices high now, they will rise more when profile 2.0 gets released to the masses. That fact has to be factored in to the price/timeline.

JoeSP - "345600 pixels HD (BD) 2073600 pixels." but is that a $500+ difference for J6P on a budget??

Profile 2.0 is optional. I agree it will not have wide acceptance until its price comes down. However I expect profile 1.1 to come down to the range when many will buy it this year. J6P will probably wait a year or two. Same as he did with DVD's.

Last edited:
...but I understand paying a premium for the better features and quality of BD.
Electronics prices get lower and lower all the time, and products gain more and more features and better quality (usually, on that quality part!) My calculator now is vastly superior to the first one I ever bought. That first one cost me $159 back in the 70's and a better model can now be had for less than $20. My current computer(s) run circles around my first one, which had no HDD and less total ram then my current CPU built-in cache. Still, my first computer cost over three times what my current computers cost. My first 17" CRT monitor cost me $899 - what I have now is better and was far cheaper.

So yes, I do expect electronic prices to go down, even when what I'm getting is better than what I used to have. Elite pricing only works for a very short time on a new electronic product introduction. Electronics don't make it to large distribution if they try to maintain this elite pricing. They stay niche products, or disappear entirely.

Profile 2.0 is optional. I agree it will not have wide acceptance until its price comes down. However I expect profile 1.1 to come down to the range when many will buy it this year. J6P will probably wait a year or two. Same as he did with DVD's.
BD is suppose to start releasing more and more disks that only a 2.0 player can take advantage of. Would you now reccomend to a friend or family a 1.1 player that will be obsolete shortly? Also "wide acceptance" will not have a chance until wider acceptance of HDTV. J6P can't do the same with DVD because 70% of then don't own a HDTV.

BD is suppose to start releasing more and more disks that only a 2.0 player can take advantage of. Would you now reccomend to a friend or family a 1.1 player that will be obsolete shortly? Also "wide acceptance" will not have a chance until wider acceptance of HDTV. J6P can't do the same with DVD because 70% of then don't own a HDTV.

most people myself included dont care about connecting to the internet when watching a movie, just give me the movie and im happy. which all current players will do.

Yes I would. I have an A2 also, and found the HD-DVD internet features worthless. So I would recommend a profile 1.1 player for most people. A profile 1.1 is not obsolete with 2.0. 1.1 is Final standard bonus view. 2.0 is BD-Live, i.e. deluxe models. J6P might buy a cheap HDTV, but thinks his old modem is good enough for internet.

Last edited:
most people myself included dont care about connecting to the internet when watching a movie, just give me the movie and im happy. which all current players will do.
In the current state yes. but you never know what the future will bring. The internet chages fast and I think it's good to have that basis covered for expansion.