Why do D* Customers pay for TNT-HD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pokerguru

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 17, 2005
Can anyone answer this question? For example, I have Brighthouse cable and I receive my locals(HD) in addition to TNT HD at no extra cost. Why did D* add this channel to there HD pack? So, in order for D* customers to get TNT HD you have to order there HD sub for $10.99, soon to be $9.99.

How can a cable provider offer it at no charge, yet a satellite company makes you pay for it? Has anyone inquired into this and ask D* why?

D*customers shouldn't have to pay for this. It's like the NFL network, D* has it at no charge, yet Brighthouse remains one of the last companies not to have it since they cannot charge for it.

Any thoughts????

1) Economics. They charge because they can.

2) Costs. HDTV is costing DirecTV a LOT of money and someone wants to cover some of the costs with an HD package.

I realize the greed side of it. Is this a channel they can charge for? They don't charge for locals in HD why TNT.

Why would a cable company give it away for free instead of adding it to there HD pack?

you are missing the point of my post. I know its not free, however I do not pay an additional charge to receive it unlike D* customers.

Locals DO cost you. And the cost of my D* package with HDTV pack is less than I used to pay through Time Warner before I moved to the sticks. Out here the local "cable company" charged 50 bucks for 45 analog channels, no digital avalible and 10 bucks for ONE HBO channel, the rest of the premium networks were not offered at all. Plus at least 50% of the channels looked like it was snowing all the time. It was great to watch a NASCAR race be run in the snow!!!!

I have no problem paying for DH on D* I guess if it bothers you, do not order it. But most people who spend three grand plus for an HDTV do not mind 10 bucks a mounth for HD channels.

pokerguru said:
you are missing the point of my post. I know its not free, however I do not pay an additional charge to receive it unlike D* customers.
I have to admit that I'm missing your point as well. DirecTV adds a new HD channel and it's part of the HD-pack. That seems to make sense. Why your cable company seems to be doing something different is probably the question to ask.

-JustBob

The cable system in our area charges $5 mo for the HDTV package plus $7.95 for the DCT or Cable Card to get them with. They just started offering HDTV and other toys as they just upgraded everything from an old fashioned A/B (26 channels) system to a modern system.

pokerguru said:
Can anyone answer this question? For example, I have Brighthouse cable and I receive my locals(HD) in addition to TNT HD at no extra cost. Why did D* add this channel to there HD pack? So, in order for D* customers to get TNT HD you have to order there HD sub for $10.99, soon to be $9.99.

How can a cable provider offer it at no charge, yet a satellite company makes you pay for it? Has anyone inquired into this and ask D* why?

D*customers shouldn't have to pay for this. It's like the NFL network, D* has it at no charge, yet Brighthouse remains one of the last companies not to have it since they cannot charge for it.

Any thoughts????

I guess some of you are so desperate for TNT HD you'd pay anything. I was just looking to see why one provider charged and another one didn't. I wasn't sure if standard channels, like TNT would be a channel you could legally charge consumers for.

Refer to a previous post above about the NFL network. Providers cannot charge customers for this channel (NFL), however they do have the right not to carry it. Is this the case with TNT?

Believe me, BH would charge extra for this channel or include it in their HD pack. They do not include TNT HD and Discovery HD in their HD pack. It's included by just subscribing to their HD service unlike D*. I've ask them before, and I just get some bogus company line. So there has to be a reason why they don't charge by adding it to their HD tier.

It's amazing. I read posts on this site daily and I see people who will do anything to save a buck in reference to their TV service. Yet, no one wants to call D* and ask "hey, why am I paying extra for this channel when cable offers it for just being a subscriber to their HD service". I bet you will when you've seen enough Law and Order shows that TNT seemingly shows around the clock.

I have both Brighthouse and Directv (for Sunday Ticket). So I'm familiar with both services. I pay $47.75 including taxes per month w/ BH. I get a promotional offer every 12 months by living in a so called "competitive area". I'm guess I'm lucky considering D* Total Choice is $44.99 per month plus taxes, and that still wouldn't include one HD channel.

-Brighthouse Products and pricing
Individual services
Standard Cable $48.49
Digital Cable $56.99
Digital Cable with HD Service $56.99
~Eight HD channels FREE with Digital Cable (WESH-NBC, WKMG-CBS, WFTV-ABC, WOFL-FOX, WRBW-UPN, WKCF-WB, PBS, Discovery HD and TNT HD)

Also Available with HD Service
HD Pack $6.00
~Enjoy even more programming, events and sports in High Definition (ESPN HD; Universal HD, HD Net; HD Net Movies; INHD and INHD2)

The above is reference, I'm not promoting this service.

the standard "digital cable" package is more than I pay for my total choice plus with locals, so you are paying for it, just in another way.

Edit: looking back at your post, it seems like you have some super promotional price because you pay less than the standard cable, so its not really a fair comparision you are making.

Last edited:
Our local TWC didn't charge more for TNT-HD either. However, the normal price of TWC was higher than D*. On D* the people who wants HD pays more. On TWC here local, you paid for it if you had HD or not except for the HD premium package.

Another way to look at it. D* just added another HD channel but they didn't raise the rate. So in reality we are not paying extra for TNT-HD. MOF, come March we'll be paying a dollar less for the HD Package. Now that got me to wondering why your cable company didn't give you price decrease when they added TNT-HD. ;)

I guess his thinking is without the HD package he still gets Discovery and TNT
high def so why is D* including it in their HD package? answer who know. But
be sure your paying for some where. Probable in the additional $10+ dollars
for "digital" package. So my questoin to you is why is your cable company
charging extra for "digital" where in D* it's "free" .;)

Last edited:
If it costs the provider, it costs the customer, some just hide/disguise the charge, the absence of evidence, is not evidence of absence.

TulsaCoker said:
I guess his thinking is without the HD package he still gets Discovery and TNT
high def so why is D* including it in their HD package? answer who know. But
be sure your paying for some where. Probable in the additional $10+ dollars
for "digital" package. So my questoin to you is why is your cable company
charging extra for "digital" where in D* it's "free" .;)

Actually, BH in my area (Central Florida) just went all digital.

bh vs d

pokerguru said:
I guess some of you are so desperate for TNT HD you'd pay anything. I was just looking to see why one provider charged and another one didn't. I wasn't sure if standard channels, like TNT would be a channel you could legally charge consumers for.

Refer to a previous post above about the NFL network. Providers cannot charge customers for this channel (NFL), however they do have the right not to carry it. Is this the case with TNT?

Believe me, BH would charge extra for this channel or include it in their HD pack. They do not include TNT HD and Discovery HD in their HD pack. It's included by just subscribing to their HD service unlike D*. I've ask them before, and I just get some bogus company line. So there has to be a reason why they don't charge by adding it to their HD tier.

It's amazing. I read posts on this site daily and I see people who will do anything to save a buck in reference to their TV service. Yet, no one wants to call D* and ask "hey, why am I paying extra for this channel when cable offers it for just being a subscriber to their HD service". I bet you will when you've seen enough Law and Order shows that TNT seemingly shows around the clock.

I have both Brighthouse and Directv (for Sunday Ticket). So I'm familiar with both services. I pay $47.75 including taxes per month w/ BH. I get a promotional offer every 12 months by living in a so called "competitive area". I'm guess I'm lucky considering D* Total Choice is $44.99 per month plus taxes, and that still wouldn't include one HD channel.

-Brighthouse Products and pricing
Individual services
Standard Cable $48.49
Digital Cable $56.99
Digital Cable with HD Service $56.99
~Eight HD channels FREE with Digital Cable (WESH-NBC, WKMG-CBS, WFTV-ABC, WOFL-FOX, WRBW-UPN, WKCF-WB, PBS, Discovery HD and TNT HD)

Also Available with HD Service
HD Pack $6.00
~Enjoy even more programming, events and sports in High Definition (ESPN HD; Universal HD, HD Net; HD Net Movies; INHD and INHD2)

The above is reference, I'm not promoting this service.
if bh digital is 56.99 thats with hd. if you get total choice for 44.99 adn hd pach for 11.00 for total of 54.00 so how are you not also paying for hd channels

pokerguru said:
I'd bet you are, but in hidden charges buried elsewhere in their pricing model - like many here have said - nothings free.

pokerguru,
it's like this.

I could sell you a computer for $500 and charge you $200 for an LCD monitor (Total price $700)
or
I could sell you a computer for $700 and give you an LCD monitor for "free" (Total price $700)

It 's the same thing dude, it's just a matter of how it's worded.
You are paying for TNTHD, DiscoveryHD and your locals. BH cable is just doing a good job of marketing, because you "think" those channels are free.:rolleyes:

vic3435 said:
if bh digital is 56.99 thats with hd. if you get total choice for 44.99 adn hd pach for 11.00 for total of 54.00 so how are you not also paying for hd channels

Actually with BH cable it's like this
$56.99 for digital cable with some hd
$6.00 to add full hd pack
$62.99 total cost

D* is like this for me
$42.99 for Total Choice Plus w/ no locals
$0.00 for OTA antenna for all Local HD and digital channels
$10.99 for HD pack
$52.98 total cost

So, I guess the true question is , pokerguru,
Why are you paying $10.01 per month more than me?
Maybe you are paying $5.00 extra per month for each of the INHD channels, which makes us even.
Again, it looks like you are paying for every hd channel you get.

Well the thing is, _he_ isn't paying the full price, according to his statement, "I have both Brighthouse and Directv (for Sunday Ticket). So I'm familiar with both services. I pay $47.75 including taxes per month w/ BH. I get a promotional offer every 12 months by living in a so called "competitive area"", BUT, like an earlier poster stated, this is not a fair comparison, to which I agree.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts