Why does Dish seem to have more Provider Disputes?

AlaJoe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 5, 2005
I Have been with Cable, Direct, and Dish. A far as price goes Cable seems higher but Dish and Direct are neck and neck for me. I think my bill changed one dollar when I came back to dish last year and I can not remember which way. So with dish and directs prices almost the same why is it Dish seems to have way more provider disputes than Direct and they seem to last a lot longer when they do with direct.

Nobody seems to want to remember TWC went black with CBS in August 2013. And Direct already getting ambushed by AMC. The fight has to be fought. Get used to is, not matter who you do business with.

Nobody seems to want to remember TWC went black with CBS in August 2013. And Direct already getting ambushed by AMC. The fight has to be fought. Get used to is, not matter who you do business with.

I remember TWC going dark. That was actually good because Dish gave us Weather Nation, I think, which actually gave me weather instead of disaster programming. I'm caring less and less about cable networks with the number of channels appearing on local sub-channels and what I can get with Roku. Dish had their fight with AMC a year or two ago and they gave a free streaming device to watch AMC via internet. I think they are giving subs Blaze and History 2 to replace CNN now and will probably substitute something else if the Turner stuff goes.

Disclaimer: I work for Dish. Not in a position to have any inside info about why. Strictly my opinion.

Why does Dish have more provider disputes? Charlie Ergen is determined to position himself as the lowest priced of the major providers, and to do so, he has to be aggressive on renegotiating contracts. Other providers seem to be more willing to take a higher percentage price hike without a dispute, it appears.

One person above guessed that all the providers care about is money. Well, of course, that is true to an extent. The goal of the people that manage a corporation is to maximize profits. That's the same for everybody. Each company has their own way to attempt to do this. There are no doubt many people inside the corporate offices of every provider who are calculating total profit based on profit-per-customer multiplied by total number of customers. Cut the margin too low, it takes too many customers to make the total profit desired. Move the margin too high, risk losing the number of customers. Each company is looking for their sweet spot. The margin, of course, is based on the revenue per customer less the cost per customer, and this is Ergen working aggressively on the cost side.

Disclaimer: I work for Dish. Not in a position to have any inside info about why. Strictly my opinion.

Why does Dish have more provider disputes? Charlie Ergen is determined to position himself as the lowest priced of the major providers, and to do so, he has to be aggressive on renegotiating contracts. Other providers seem to be more willing to take a higher percentage price hike without a dispute, it appears.

One person above guessed that all the providers care about is money. Well, of course, that is true to an extent. The goal of the people that manage a corporation is to maximize profits. That's the same for everybody. Each company has their own way to attempt to do this. There are no doubt many people inside the corporate offices of every provider who are calculating total profit based on profit-per-customer multiplied by total number of customers. Cut the margin too low, it takes too many customers to make the total profit desired. Move the margin too high, risk losing the number of customers. Each company is looking for their sweet spot. The margin, of course, is based on the revenue per customer less the cost per customer, and this is Ergen working aggressively on the cost side.

Well put, I get a real kick out of people that think Dish is the bad guy when channels go down. Dish is fighting to keep prices low, more than any one else, and they are the bad guys?

We sell Dish and Direct. When the local ABC was taken down a few years ago, a number of customers wanted to switch to DirecTV. We counselled them about why it was happening and that it would probably be over soon, but some still switched. The funny part was that shortly after a few people switched, ABC was back on Dish and a week later was taken down on DirecTV. We were cracking up about that in the office.

The person who mentioned TWC was talking about Time-Warner Cable, not The Weather Channel. :)

I know Charlie wants to be viewed as the lowest price alternative, but in my area, currently Charter Cable is less expensive. Their Silver package, which is about par with AT-200 is $59.99. I realize this is a regional thing and some other area it is more than likely more expensive and with either Sat Co their prices are Nation wide.

gotta disagree........while Charlie is fighting the good ole fight to keep programming cost low........the dvr fees & etc keep increasing............so no matter what my total bill keeps increasing & the consumer has to put up with these constant disruptions with substitutions that are already paid for by many. so basically, we are paying twice for the same channels.........

Reactions: stardust3
I know Charlie wants to be viewed as the lowest price alternative, but in my area, currently Charter Cable is less expensive. Their Silver package, which is about par with AT-200 is $59.99. I realize this is a regional thing and some other area it is more than likely more expensive and with either Sat Co their prices are Nation wide.

I get the feeling that if you add up all the costs of Charter Cable packages, including fees for devices and compare it to Dish and their fees for devices, you'll either be real close in price, or Dish will be lower, and overall the value from dish will be higher. Their hopper devices are better than anything Charter has and I find their picture quality much better.

Reactions: ncted and yomama
I get the feeling that if you add up all the costs of Charter Cable packages, including fees for devices and compare it to Dish and their fees for devices, you'll either be real close in price, or Dish will be lower, and overall the value from dish will be higher. Their hopper devices are better than anything Charter has and I find their picture quality much better.

this is true, but cable has the advantage when it comes to equipment fees.

you can buy a tivo (new or used) and not have to pay the cable co monthly for a hd-dvr. dish no longer gives any incentive to own your own equipment, but their pq is still better.

Here are my thoughts on the subject. The biggest reason Dish is different from all other providers is because of Charlie Ergen and I think it's a good thing. Is there any other provider out there that has been owned by the same person or company since it's inception other than Dish? The reason why Dish always seems to be the one doing things this way is because Dish has always been run by the same person. I'm sure some other person or company could take over Dish and run things differently but that is not the case.

For those of you that complain about prices being too high and increasing even though Dish is having these disputes, did you ever think that your rates may have gone up even higher if Dish didn't fight with the networks? These networks want higher rates and Dish is going to have to pay them no matter what. What Dish is trying to do is get them for a lesser increase so they can keep the customer's increase minimal. There is NO WAY Dish is going to be able to fight these networks and be able to keep our costs the same or less. No matter what these networks are getting an increase in their rate and that rate has to be passed along to the customer.

The only way for the customer to spend less money is for Dish to find a way to come up with a smaller package with channels that people want, customers can lower their package, customers can get rid of some extra equipment or they can get rid of pay TV altogether.

The only way for the customer to spend less money is for Dish to find a way to come up with a smaller package with channels that people want, customers can lower their package, customers can get rid of some extra equipment or they can get rid of pay TV altogether.

Agreed and this is clearly evident with the older community and the welcome pack with encore. it is very popular with them around here.

Dish would probably find that if they included HD with the smart pack, and allowed people to add MSP to it, it would be a popular package.

Only because the government forces them to with cable card.

it is what it is.

I understand that Charlie is trying to keep cost down but I don't think others are getting my point. It seems to me that Dish has at least 3 times as many of these disputes as Direct yet price wise Direct and Dish cost almost the exact same amount. So is Direct just absorbing the cost and living with a smaller profit margin, are the companies trying to charge Dish way more than Direct for the same programming or what

Dish has the lowest prices and they want to keep it that way. And too many of their customers are cutting the cord because of the ridiculous price increases. I am ready to leave myself if they keep raising their rates.
This nonsensical myth hangs on here at SatGuys for some strange reason.

Dish offers some low-priced packages with fewer channels not offered by DirecTV. But, for comparable packages with comparable equipment, the price to the consumer is similar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)