Why does installation of a DVR 625 require drilling 2 holes?

paulhewson

Original poster
Jul 6, 2005
I have installation scheduled for Saturday for a DVR 625. The only rule my apartment complex has is that only 1 hole can be drilled into the unit. I just got a call from someone at the installation company, they say that I can't get a 625 becuase it requires drilling more than one hole. So apparently my only option is getting two separate receivers. Can anyone explain this? I don't understand how a 625 would require multiple holes, but two separate receivers need only one. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

It really depends on the layout of the apartment. You only need one hole to get the cables to the 625. You then may need another hole to get the cable from the 625 to the second tv. It really just depends on how the apartment is set up. All you can do is get them out there and try to get it done.

I guess I just assumed that the cable from the 625 to the second TV would be run inside the apartment. I still don't see how having two receiver units (instead of just one 625) would make things any easier.

You don't even have to use Seperators & Diplexors. Unless you are able to get to the second tv from the receiver inside the apartment, you would have to drill a second hole on the outside. You could run the cables inside the apartment to get to the second tv, but if it will cause any kind of tripping hazard DNSC will not allow it to be done. So unless the two TV's are on the same wall (like if the 2nd tv is on the other side of the wall from the receiver) you may have trouble meeting your apartments requirements.

You can easily use the dishpro plus twin and a seperator to accomplish what you want without anymore runs into your house. I would do that before I ran anymore runs into the house.

Only one hole needed

You should need only one hole and nothing else special.

As long as your cable connection outside is disconnected (you don't have cable modem Internet) you can just take the output of the 2nd tuner and plug it into a wall jack. All the rooms in an apartment are connected with splitters. That would make every cable wall jack live with the signal from the second tuner. Then all you would need is one hole fro the outside to your main TV.

Could it be that the person you spoke to on the phone is a MORON? I am guessing that this person sees that the receiver is a two tuner receiver which requires two lines from the dish to the receiver. The moron on the phone, not being an installer (I hope) equates two lines coming from the dish to the receiver with having to drill two holes. God forbid putting two cables through one hole! That would be unnatural! :)

Just a guess anyway.

See ya
Tony

mudder1310 said:
How can they possibly know what work your place will require without even showing up? That's ridiculous.
When we do the installation on no matter is house or apartment, the installers has to thinking what should needs to this installation, and the parts being obtained, if not use, return to the compamy next day. Anytime if there a dual turners receiver, we uses carry seperator an sometime diplexers as well

On a service call, we will look at the work order information and carrying necessary parts for sure. THis will 99.9 percent the information are corrected. Even there only a trouble calls for error message, but we do carry what the customer has thats incase need to replace parts.

Exactly my point. You look at what MIGHT be required then take it all with you. To tell someone they can't do the install without even looking at the structure is just lazy. What if the guy already has a hole in his place? Or a big gap between the door frame? Or holes in the floor from other wiring? All I'm saying is you have to go look for yourself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)