Why doesn't DirecTV use all of the transponders?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
How can two satellites share the same orbital location? Yes, I know that there is a lot of space up there (yeah... I know, that was bad but I had just to :biggrin2) but a satellite is... quite huge. Just like here on Earth, two objects can't be in the same exact location in space.
when you are 22,000+ miles up in space they can be in the same vicinity and still be considered "same location" to us down here at earth level

Someone might have a better distance number but I believe You have about a half mile to each side or so of dead center of a orbital slot and a dish down on earth won't really know the difference.

Geostationary satellites are usually assigned a box of .1 degrees, or about 50 miles to occupy. They slowly drift out of place then fire thrusters a bit to push them back to the other side of the box and they slowly drift back over and over. With DBS sized dishes all satellites within about 2 degrees look like one satellite.

If a particular transponder really was vacant, it would cost money to put programming on it. Also, there could be an effort to retain some reserve capacity.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)