Why would a specific frequency have 0 quality?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Turksat

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
New York City
I am trying to understand if this is a positioning problem or some other issue.
Galaxy 19 (263°E)
V 22000

It is not giving me any quality but there is a signal over %80.
Yet other frequencies (above and below) seems to be fine with some channels visible.
Why would this happen, could a dish movement cause this? But if dish moved, wouldn't I lose all channels on Galaxy 19?

Thanks.

I am trying to understand if this is a positioning problem or some other issue.
Galaxy 19 (263°E)
V 22000

It is not giving me any quality but there is a signal over %80.
Yet other frequencies (above and below) seems to be fine with some channels visible.
Why would this happen, could a dish movement cause this? But if dish moved, wouldn't I lose all channels on Galaxy 19?

Thanks.
If you were able to get the channels on that transponder before and have lost them then it sounds like it may be time for a little tweaking. If they never came in then tweaking may still help. What dish and lnb are you using?

Reactions: Turksat
It's weird because suddenly I get picture and good feed, then I change the channels and I lose all channels on that frequency and they never come back.
I am using:
It is 26.5" x 36" dish.
It has LNB Model No. NJR2162F.
Manual says "TELSTAR 5 Satellite 97".
On Visionsat IV200

Thanks!

Edit: See, as I type this, I changed inputs on my TV to Satelllite, I have perfect picture on that channel.
I wanted to check the signal quality, instead of hitting Info I hit Jump by mistake, and now I lost the channel, it says "No Signal"
Is it possible that Satellite locks on signal and maybe due to wind or something it moves and then loses the signal? But I never had this problem, I had a super sturdy installation up there and for 5+ yrs never had an issue.

Since you were getting the channels before that rules out dish size and you are getting the other channels so bad coax or loose connection is highly unlikely. Dish could need a little tweaking after the winter we had. Do you have another lnb you could try on it before adjusting anything?

What is the Signal Quality reading on this transponder when the channels do lock? Is it the same or lower than other transponders?

LNBFs often drift frequency as they age. If the signal is marginal on this transponder, the receiver may not lock when tuning. Try deleting this transponder then performing a blind scan of the satellite. If the channels scan in on a slightly higher or lower frequency, then the LNBF is drifting and it may be time to replace.

Sorry, I don't have another LNB. I'll check the cables. As I suspected, I just turned the input on my TV and found the channel alive and well.
Out of those little 14 bars at the bottom, I get about 6 which is usually a good feed.
When I hit info, I get SID: 0x03EB / TSID: 0x0514 / ONID: 0x0066 / 97.0W IntelsatAmericas 5 [STN Network] / FEC : 3 (If any of this makes sense)
I hit Channel Up, and here we are "No Signal".

Yes, we did have a pretty bad winter this year, in fact for the first time since I erected this dish, I had bad artifacts on certain channels (mainly this frequency).

What is the Signal Quality reading on this transponder when the channels do lock? Is it the same or lower than other transponders?

LNBFs often drift frequency as they age. If the signal is marginal on this transponder, the receiver may not lock when tuning. Try deleting this transponder then performing a blind scan of the satellite. If the channels scan in on a slightly higher or lower frequency, then the LNBF is drifting and it may be time to replace.

I answered your first question in my above post (had not seen your reply yet)
It's similar to other transponders, except for one or two very strong ones.

Do I have to do a factory reset on receiver to delete the transponder?
I see Delete TP in Dish Settings. Will run a blind test now.

PS: 11966 V22000 gets me 0 Quality but 11966 H22000 gets me 75% Quality. Does this change anything?

Go into the transponder list and delete the one transponder. No need to do a factory reset.

If you were getting pixilation on this transponder before, then the aiming at not be optimized.

Do you have the LNBF (or dish) skewed to the correct rotation for your area?

There is no 11966 V 22000. Only Horizontal.

Go into the transponder list and delete the one transponder. No need to do a factory reset.

If you were getting pixilation on this transponder before, then the aiming at not be optimized.

Do you have the LNBF (or dish) skewed to the correct rotation for your area?

There is no 11966 V 22000. Only Horizontal.

Sorry, it was 11960.
Did a blind test, same result.
Will go up on the roof this weekend to see if adjusting the dish helps. It may have had a lot of snow on it through this winter, will report back findings. Yes, skew and everything was done to the dot, and with not a single issue for over 5 years, this started happening recently. But why would it get signal and then suddenly lose it when I change channels. Is it due to wind or other factors, it somehow locks in the signal, and then loses it when it moves back and doesn't lose picture for some odd reason?

I just checked, got the receiver back in Jan 2009, so it's been over 6 years without a single issue. I guess I was pretty lucky, had a good run there? :)

If the dish is slightly out of alignment then you may experience lock and loss of transponders (especially weaker ones). If the lnb is aging then drift can cause the same thing. That definitely was a nice run without any issues. Hopefully you will have another long run once the problem is fixed. If you find out it's the lnb, I'd recommend getting a phase locked loop model. I use this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TITANIUM-SA...To-Air-Standard-Linear-FTA-LNBF-/181269477814)
They are excellent performers and very good at locking marginal signals. :)

a wild guess. you say it was installed on the roof. this time of year roofs get hot and cold expansion and contraction.can cause the dish to move around enough to make weaker reception below threshold.

Can you check out transponder 12152 h that is Russia today see if you get that channel. What type of lnb are you using standard or universal?

Can you check out transponder 12152 h that is Russia today see if you get that channel. What type of lnb are you using standard or universal?

I used to get RT up until recently, but I don't think I get that channel anymore. I can run another scan when I get home today.
As for the LNB, I am sorry, it is just whatever came with my dish. When I search for NJR2162F at sadoun, it says GlobeCast World TV Replacement Standard SINGLE Output LNBF

Ok standard lnb is good but check rt you should be able to get about 70q really strong transponder. If you get signal strength at 45% but no q it means you have an lnb hooked up.

Thanks, I'll check the cables, if needed I'll just run a new line, although I am not what condition the LNB connection is right now. I know the jacket was replaced once because it was nothing but a thin sheet of cracked plastic, so I better check that too.

During the 20 years I have used my satellite dish; many signals have slid right into my feedhorn since digital began. Recently; these "sliders" have changed into new digital formats; that beg for a better receiver to "lock". Even when blind scan receives them; no format is available to decode them; or avail the signal for any use. Sometimes they are new fta channeling on first base. Sometimes they are new subscriber channels that are un-available without the STB/CAM/CAS made for them. Many times they are NEW BROADCASTS WITH NEW CODEC grains of sand on an hour glass; hoping nobody else see's them. The newer broadcast's that do not want to be seen; cannot scan...until they are completed. Change's do occur; follow them live; on your HDTV...or do not even try. 97w charging; or the news? 11842 H 22000 is one CAM/CAS entry that has changed recently.

Ok standard lnb is good but check rt you should be able to get about 70q really strong transponder. If you get signal strength at 45% but no q it means you have an lnb hooked up.
12152 H 20000 is giving me %83 Signal with %6 Quality.

Search resulted in about 42 TV, 29 Radio channels, but I see it picked up others in other transponders, Russia Today was listed, but for some reason it is not showing up in channel list. 3 channels on this transponders shows up and they are all pixelated. I think LNB might have some issues up there.

The strongest channel I am getting out of my blind search is AZ TV on 11966 H 22000 with %86 Signal and %75 Quality, next up 11841 H 21996 gives me %85/%70. Just for your reference.

A dish is only as good as the equipment used with it; and oh, what quality, what quality? I find anything to do with 97w very boring until I must learn some other language; then it is even easier...getting 97w on a c/ku band dish -> just a little more challenging; but same quality of picture; bet yours on it...

The lnbf has "3" bandaids inside of itself; and of the 3 you have; i would bet a bad cable, splitter, lnbf, LOS to new transmitters, could all be the problem all or any; even a connector will "cut the gained wrong"; a tuner in a receiver heating up or micromachine ack ack; plus combo's of; sounds challenging to me...

like trying to scan an 18v only stack it might not let you say you were using a bigger dish to get real quality reads; but if you need 18vdc @1 amp; it will cut the tuner off; glow it; and smokee then after...

Last edited:
With your addition testing and signal readings, I have good news! The dish is only out of alignment.

Based on your Signal Quality readings, the reflector is pointed slightly to the West of where it should be aimed for optimal signal readings on all transponders. The 11842 transponder gets higher Signal Quality readings when the dish is slightly out of alignment to the West due to interference from the adjacent satellite.

Your Blind Scan results indicate that the LNBF is very close to frequency, so don't be concerned with replacing.

Your problems will be solved with a few minutes on the roof while on a cell phone with someone watching the Signal Quality reading on transponders 12177 or 11966. Standing behind the reflector move the dish to the Left (East) about 1/8-1/4 of an inch.

Good Luck!

Status
Please reply by conversation.