Wii u

My Wii U should be arriving today. Unfortunately I won't have any Super Mario games to play as I didn't finish Stick of Truth until today and had to mail it back manually and they said it isn't set to arrive at GF until Saturday. I don't see how it takes so long to get something from CT to PA, but what do I know? Oh, and I learned today that apparently Redbox doesn't carry Wii U games.

Wii U arrived LATE last night. UPS has a very liberal concept of "By the end of the day" by delivering this at about 7:15pm. Anyways it's all up and running. I'm going to pick up a used copy of NSMBWU from Gamestop, keeping in mind their 7 day return policy.

One thing I have to say that Gamestop seems to have no intention of helping push Wii U games, as the majority of the new games are not discounted, and then the used versions are $5 off. Who the hell would pay $54.99 for a used copy of NSMBWU when you can get NEW copies of the game for less than $50 at most retailers, and of course even cheaper at other used game sellers? They're really shooting themselves in the foot. Gamestop makes most of their profits off used sales, so to price all these games (the few that there are) higher than nearly everyone else is selling (and in some cases, selling new) is just bad business.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Wii U arrived LATE last night. UPS has a very liberal concept of "By the end of the day" by delivering this at about 7:15pm. Anyways it's all up and running. I'm going to pick up a used copy of NSMBWU from Gamestop, keeping in mind their 7 day return policy.

One thing I have to say that Gamestop seems to have no intention of helping push Wii U games, as the majority of the new games are not discounted, and then the used versions are $5 off. Who the hell would pay $54.99 for a used copy of NSMBWU when you can get NEW copies of the game for less than $50 at most retailers, and of course even cheaper at other used game sellers? They're really shooting themselves in the foot. Gamestop makes most of their profits off used sales, so to price all these games (the few that there are) higher than nearly everyone else is selling (and in some cases, selling new) is just bad business.

I do agree with gamestop and the wii u, we have local grocery stores that have a larger selection of wii u games then game stop

Its not an issue of selection where I am, it's just the prices are too much. That's why I'll be using Gamefly for the majority of my Wii U gaming needs. MAYBE I'll pick up the new Smash Bros game if it has a decent single player experience, or the Zelda Dynasty Warriors (if they tone down the difficulty a bit) but I don't see myself buying any games, even if they were discounted to $20.

Its not an issue of selection where I am, it's just the prices are too much. That's why I'll be using Gamefly for the majority of my Wii U gaming needs. MAYBE I'll pick up the new Smash Bros game if it has a decent single player experience, or the Zelda Dynasty Warriors (if they tone down the difficulty a bit) but I don't see myself buying any games, even if they were discounted to $20.

We didn't use our old Wii much after the first few months of picking it up. I would check out prices occasionally for some of the bigger games though. One thing I've noticed is that pricing on Nintendo first party games doesn't seem to drop the way it does on the other platforms. Here is a quick rundown of some of the bigger games' Amazon prices for the original Wii.

Twilight Princess (2006) - $37.11
Maro Kart Wii (2012) - $37.02
Skyward Sword (2011) - $44.98
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010) - $36.40

Then there are some sub-$30 first party games on their best sellers list but most of them are pretty old. Most 360/PS3 games of a similar age would likely be quite a bit cheaper. Nintendo doesn't seem as willing to discount their first party games as their competitors. Gamefly makes a ton of sense for Nintendo games especially since most of them have little, if any online presence to keep you coming back for months.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008) $29.20
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (2009) $26.18
Donkey Kong Country Returns (2010) $23.96
Super Mario Galaxy (2007) $18.00

Yeah the Wii U is STARVING for titles. There's literally about 6 games of interest for me on it, and 3 of them haven't been released yet. Hell companies aren't even porting stuff onto it. Personally I think the hole is too big for them to get out without a DRASTIC change. I only picked up the Wii U because I got it for $200. I think that's a really good price point for them. Granted they'd lose money, but given how much money they're losing by them not selling, I think they'd rather get back 50% of money than get back NONE of it with stuff sitting on shelves.

A whole new console is coming from Nintendo in 2015...

...For emerging markets, so don't expect to see it here, unless things REALLY get bad..

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134318-Nintendo-to-Release-Completely-New-Hardware-in-2015

This is very weird. He says it won't be a cheaper version of what we currently have like the 2DS or the Wii Mini. Instead, it will be something completely new. It makes sense to offer a cheaper Wii U by removing the gamepad tablet or something. They could ship it with a pro controller instead of the tablet. That would save them a lot of money and it sounds like that wouldn't even effect the majority of games' functionality.

Another money saving option without creating a completely new platform would be something like an Apple TV that plays 3DS, DS, and Virtual Console games. Put out a $100 box with some internal storage, a cheap controller, and a game cartridge slot that can stream video and you might finally have a winner in the OUYA-type device market. It would be cheaper than a traditional console or handheld and they wouldn't have to make games for a separate platform. Unlike the OUYA and other Android gaming boxes it would have the huge library of quality 3DS, DS, and virtual console games.

It doesn't make sense to me to release something completely new that can't play existing Wii U or 3DS games in these emerging markets. Like you both said, the Wii U is suffering from a lack of games. Splitting off developers to work on games for a new platform seems like that would just make that problem even worse. Instead of 2 Nintendo platforms that need games they would have 3.

Well they gave almost no information about it, and said they'd give more info at E3, so we'll see exactly what they have in mind.

Well it looks like Nintendo has a "winner" with Mario Kart 8. Consensus seems to be it's a good game. I don't see them moving many consoles with this game, but it'll likely be picked up by nearly everyone with said console.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/mario-kart-8

I had great times playing Mario Kart with friends on the SNES and especially with 4 players on the N64. Along with Goldeneye and Smash Bros that was the peak of couch multiplayer gaming. I would be tempted to pick up a Mario Kart Wii U bundle if I saw it for a good price to relive those memories. The problem is that it's just not possible. Local multiplayer is a thing of the past for me. The days with 4 of us sitting on the ground, huddled around the TV are long gone.

Sure there is online play to replace that to some extent but none of my friends have a Wii U so I couldn't play with them if I wanted to. Even if that wasn't the case, Nintendo's weird choices have made it so it wouldn't feel like playing with friends if we tried. Voice chat is reserved for the lobby only. WHAT? What's the point of playing with my friends online if I'm not allowed to talk to them during the race? Sorry but the point of playing games like Mario Kart and Smash Bros is hilarious multiplayer fun with your friends. As much fun as I had with those series, I don't want to play them alone so they probably won't sell me a Wii U. By taking away the ability to communicate during the game they make it feel like you are playing alone.

I know Nintendo still hasn't caught on with online gaming but this just seems like a baffling decision to me. They have restricted voice communication to friends only but at least I can understand that decision. They think of this as a kids console and they want to protect those kids from online strangers. What could possibly be the justification for restricting voice chat to the lobby though?

Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up once I'm done with Watch Dogs. By then I hope the hype will be gone and it won't take too long to get from my queue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)