Wild Blue (internet dish)

volkodav

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 16, 2005
us
hello to every one.

now we started to install WILD BLUE dishes is there any tips or advise on how to make it go smother or faster?

i did couple of them so far and it takes me about 7 hours.

first one customer waned me to use his pre-wierd house with cat-5 put modem down stairs and go from there ( he forgot to mention he ran one cat-5 per room and then he put 4 plats in each room dazy chained and of curse we dont have tools to test it.
second it was to much security on comp also i have to give a cust. ed on how to use computer because they had no clue

hello to every one.

now we started to install WILD BLUE dishes is there any tips or advise on how to make it go smother or faster?

i did couple of them so far and it takes me about 7 hours.

We just started installing them here in Ohio as well. From what I understand, the 1st few times you install one, expect a certain amount of learning curve. Once you get it down to an "inexact science", you should be able to knock one out in about 2 - 2 1/2 hours.

Too many people seem to have virus laden or junk computers. I'm definitely considering getting a laptop; just to speed things up. Not to mention it does help validate my connection if the customer's computer is giving too much grief.

the thing i hate the most is 11" drip loups or 4.5 inch bents oh did i forgot to mention solid coper whire that they send only 4 spools to last 20-30 instals

They are strict on the WB installs and such. However I could write a mini-book on tips I guess since I have been installing them for almost 2 years now. However if you know how to install other sat systems them it is eaiser, but their is a learning curve. Once you get used to it, it is faster.....IF you have any specific concerns please feel free to PM me.

First one took 6 hours, the 4 after that have only taken about 2 1/2 hours each.
Started Installing when it opened up on 4/10

i've been installing them for years now... i prefer them over tv systems any day. They are real strict about their installs, but thats a good thing.
For your first few, give yourself extra time to work out little problems.
O, and get a laptop, SOOOOO many customers computers can cause you problems.
Your customer base is people who have been stuck on dialup and dont usually have dsl or cable internet available. So many of times I have run into older computers that don't have NIC jacks. O, and the thing SUCKS to setup using windows 98. I did one and it gave me so many problems, took forever to do. Now I carry my laptop at all times, just in case.
Good luck with it...

o, and while you will get the answers to whatever questions you have on this board... you may also check out the broadband forum here.

o, and while you will get the answers to whatever questions you have on this board... you may also check out the broadband forum here.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...I *should* be posting this question there, but since this thread is already started, figured this would be just as well.

As to the laptop idea, that's a very sound one. My question is...don't you still have to verify things are working on a customer's computer? Or is it just a matter of swapping ethernet cables from your laptop to said customers computer (and as such...if it works, great...if not, tough cookies)?

Well if your net connection works on the laptop that shows the connection is good and is working. Now on the customer machine all you should half to do is plug the connection into their machines. If they can not get on the net on their machine but you can on the laptop. Well then it could be many things on the Customer machine that is causing the problem like a software setting so forth.

Well if your net connection works on the laptop that shows the connection is good and is working. Now on the customer machine all you should half to do is plug the connection into their machines. If they can not get on the net on their machine but you can on the laptop. Well then it could be many things on the Customer machine that is causing the problem like a software setting so forth.

Very true. I guess I was more interested in Wild Blue's requirements for completion of a job. If by establishing a connection...whether by tech laptop or customer computer...is all that is required, then that's the question I was leading to

thanks for the replays.
my biggest concern is not the instal of the dish it is setting up the system and computers as far as our training went they said only Window XP and Vista what other systems will it work?

Do most just use the laptop and leave it? Or go through the whole cookie plug it in, set the dishmail.net homepage, go through the outlook, etc?

Reality is most of the customer computers are already gangster with viruses, billion startup items, takes you forever on a reboot, in which it only needs to be rebooted 3-4 times.

I'm getting the actual install down good, it's the formentioned that is the hold up. Comcast was simple, block sync and see ya. Touching some of the keyboards are nasty, pubic hairs, boogers, nicotine, you name it.

Do most just use the laptop and leave it? Or go through the whole cookie plug it in, set the dishmail.net homepage, go through the outlook, etc?

Touching some of the keyboards are nasty, pubic hairs, boogers, nicotine, you name it.

I'm hoping it's just a situation of verify connectivity, regardless of what computer is being used.

Oh..."pubic hair"? That's just simply nasty!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Reality is most of the customer computers are already gangster with viruses, billion startup items, takes you forever on a reboot, in which it only needs to be rebooted 3-4 times.

Wanna know a trick? Just repair the connection. Does the same thing. Either on the network card or through a cmd prompt window.;)

thanks for the replays.
my biggest concern is not the instal of the dish it is setting up the system and computers as far as our training went they said only Window XP and Vista what other systems will it work?

Windows ME, XP, Vista, and MAC will work. I just got certified today and thats what our instructor stated.

When you do networking, that is not part of a WB install, therefor the time it takes to do non standard work cannot be counted towards how long it took to install a WB system.
You MUST learn to only perform the most basic of installation work as outlined in your installation contract. Anymore then that and you charge for it. If you do not understand how to setup routers, wifi AP or work with CAT-5, then don't do that work until you learn.
You should always contact the customer days before the install and review the basic installation details. If they give you any hint they want you to use existing cables they must be willing to pay extra, should those cables not be installed correctly.
Don't worry so much about how long it takes to do an installation. Worry about how to maximize your profit while doing the installation. It all starts with a FIRM understanding by the customer just what you are required to do.
Giving the customer education on how to use the computer should be billed at no less than $50/hour.

Very true. I guess I was more interested in Wild Blue's requirements for completion of a job. If by establishing a connection...whether by tech laptop or customer computer...is all that is required, then that's the question I was leading to

the connection must be established, thats it... on any computer.
on the paperwork there are lines that the customer must initial if there is a problem with their computer.

One says
My installer has reviewed my PC. If my PC does not meet or exceed all WildBlue
Communications requirements, I agree to have the installer use their PC to complete my installation. Ticket: _____________: If the customer PC is not compliant or unavailable for any reason, with customer and WildBlue Customer Care consent the installer may use their own PC to complete the installation. Before using the installer PC to complete the installation the install will call WildBlue Installer Support Care number (Retail Partner: 888-278-6869, Wholesale Partner: 877-945-2583) and obtain a Trouble Ticket number. This number is posted in the Ticket field on this line of the form.

The other says

The customer must initial these six statements:
1. I can access the Internet through the browser on (my/the installer’s)[circle one] PC. If using the Installer’s PC, I agree to work with WildBlue Customer Service to setup my PC. See Ticket number above***: During the customer instruction, provide the customer with the opportunity to access the WildBlue Communications Retail user portal or the Wholesale Partner Web page with their browser. This allows the customer to see that the internet is available. If the access is through the installer’s PC the Ticket field must contain a Trouble
Ticket number.

I cant remember if the wording on those is still the same, but I just copy and pasted those from the support portal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)