Will any regular Diplexer work?

nlrobert

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
Can I used any standard diplexer to diplex my satellite feed and OTA feed going into my 622? I just moved into a new place and the installer gave me two diplexers to condense the "Sat2 In" and "TV2 Out" signals onto one cable. This works great, but I would like to get two additional diplexers to condense the "Sat1 In" and "OTA" signals onto one cable. In Theory I could use two cable runs to support both Sat1 an Sat2 inputs, the OTA signal for my digital antenna, and the TV2 out from my 622.

Can I go to Lowes, Home Depot, Radio Shack or some other store and get 2 regular diplexers or do I need a specific type identical to the diplexers provided by the installer?

Thanks!

As an installer, I would not recommend "any regular" diplexer. There are plenty of namebrands out there, but I've found the crucial elements are this: swept-testing requirements and amperage. You most definately want a diplexer capable of sustaining a decent signal. With that said, I've found 5 - 2,200 MHz and a 2 amp rating to be more than adequate for Dish Pro and Dish Pro Plus.

webbydude is correct, but I think he misunderstood what you wanna do. Then again, maybe I am misunderstanding. In any case.

If you want to run a single cable from either your LNBF or switch, then you need to go with DishPro Plus technology.

If you have DishPro LNBF's, then you can feed it into a DPP-44 (DishPro Plus 44) switch. Then you can run a single cable from the DPP-44 to a DP Separator just before the 622, then feed the DP Separator into the TV1, and TV2 inputs on the 622. Then to this setup you could add 2 diplexers to get your VHF/UHF signals.

You need to read some of the documents at the below web site to determine which way is best for you, but I don't think it matters where you put the diplexers, except that I really don't think you can have one between the DPP-44 Receiver Port 1 and the Power Inserter.

http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishpro_installation.asp

Also, if your LNBF is a DishPro Plus Twin (DPP Twin), then you may not need a switch and can run a single cable from it, and then add a diplexer and DP Separator to get 2 sat signals and 1 OTA on a single cable.

NOTE: If I really misunderstood you and you are looking to just run 2 OTA signals, then maybe all you need is a splitter and not a diplexer. That is, if you just want to feed your OTA signals to multiple locations, then add a splitter after the Diplexer and you can feed multiple TV sets with an antenna or cable signal.

Last edited:
As Webbydude mentioned above, any diplexer rated to 2200 Mhz should work. With one exception, if you're using a DPP44 switch you can't have a regular diplexer on PORT 1 where the power inserter is. If you must use PORT 1, then you'll need the Holland Blue Diplexers (DPD2) that are rated to 2 AMPs.

The only reason why I even mentioned the better grade diplexers was due to the fact the OP is running with a 622. Chances are he's using DP or DPP tech.

Personally, I've found it's just better to cover my butt and use a 2 amp rated diplexer for any occasion. A bit overkill perhaps, but it saves me from having two different sets of diplexers on my truck.

Will a diplexer rated 40 - 2150 MHz work? I am trying to get a 942 to work with two diplexers rated 40 - 2300 MHz with power pass through bith the Ant and SAT ports. When I connect everything the receiver doeswn't recognize the DPP44 and only sees the odd or even transponders on 110. When I take the diplexers out the check switch test sees all three sats on the Dish 1000 (I am using Port 2). Everyone says it should work, but yet it doesn't. Should I get diplexers that only pass power through the SAT port on the diplexers?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. The ratings you gave me match the diplexer specs that the installer gave me. I will try and find some more that meet those same specifications.

As far as my configuration goes, I have 3 input lines coming from my Dish 1000 into my house, which terminate into a DP34. I have two receivers (501 and 311) connected to the "1" and "2" ports and my 622 Sat1 and Sat2 feeds are connected to ports "3" and "4". I have two HD TV's and Dish will not let me have another HD receiver without paying $299, so I am trying to come up with the best solution in the short term until I can get another HD receiver at a discounted cost.

I currently have diplexers on the 622 Sat2 line and I am backfeeding the TV2 Out feed through this diplexed line into another room.

Using 2 sets of new diplexers, I want to do the following:

1. I want to place diplexers on my 622 Sat1 line and send my OTA digtal antenna signal to the 622 to enable over the air HD channels.

2. For my second HD TV that does not have an HD receiver, I want to use diplexers to send the OTA feed to this TV and use the TV's internal tuner to pick over the air HD channels.

When everything is said and done, I would have 6 diplexers in place.

Hopefully there won't be any issues with this setup. It sounds like it will work as long as I have quality diplexers.

nlrobert - Should work fine. And I as thought may possible, I did not completely understand what you were attempting.

webbydude said:
Wow!! That is such a good link. :)

I can't believe I've spent a good 20 minutes checking things out. It sure does a good job explaining a lot of the basics surrounding Legacy, DP, and DPP
There is a lot of good data there, and diagrams too. I created a directory on my PC and downloaded all of them.

Well, I got the diplexers today as webbydude suggested and hooked up my 942 backfeeding TV2 out to another room. Well, it worked but the picture is terrible (grainy picture, ghosting, etc.). I tried different channel numbers as well as cable and air settings for the modulated signal. Is there anything else I should be doing? The TV I am using for the TV2 output is a newer TV with a good picture when having a 4900 receiver hooked to it.

The one thing that comes to mind is that perhaps one (or both) of your diplexers are backwards...it's an easy thing to do (trust me...LOL!). The key to remember is to have your IN/OUT's facing towards the wallplates.

BearcatScott said:
Well, I got the diplexers today as webbydude suggested and hooked up my 942 backfeeding TV2 out to another room. Well, it worked but the picture is terrible (grainy picture, ghosting, etc.). I tried different channel numbers as well as cable and air settings for the modulated signal. Is there anything else I should be doing? The TV I am using for the TV2 output is a newer TV with a good picture when having a 4900 receiver hooked to it.

Try Ch. 21 if Ch. 60 air/Ch. 73 cable doesn't work well and if you're not receving Ch. 21 via an off-air antenna.

Also, how far is the cable feed to TV2? Diplexors do attenuate the Antenna side somewhat.

In my zest to try out my new diplexers, I did indeed have one of them hooked up wrong. I reconnected it the correct way and bam it now works! Thanks again for the advice, I feel quite embarrassed!

Which Diplexer....???

With that said, I've found 5 - 2,200 MHz and a 2 amp rating to be more than adequate for Dish Pro and Dish Pro Plus.

Who makes a diplexer with a 5 - 2,200 MHz and a 2 amp rating...? The only one I can find with something close to having those specs is the blue holland. It has the 2 amps but only has a 5 - 2,150 Mhz rating.

I want to setup my Dish PVR 921 in dual tuner mode. I have a Dish 1000 Pro Plus. It has the Dish Pro Plus Twin LNB for the 110 & 119, and the Dish Pro Dual LNB for the 129 so no switch is needed. I want to add a OTA HD antenna so I need the proper diplexers to be able to run a single cable. I'll be using the Dish Pro Plus Seperator on the other end for the dual tuners.

Who makes a diplexer with a 5 - 2,200 MHz and a 2 amp rating...? The only one I can find with something close to having those specs is the blue holland. It has the 2 amps but only has a 5 - 2,150 Mhz rating.

I want to setup my Dish PVR 921 in dual tuner mode. I have a Dish 1000 Pro Plus. It has the Dish Pro Plus Twin LNB for the 110 & 119, and the Dish Pro Dual LNB for the 129 so no switch is needed. I want to add a OTA HD antenna so I need the proper diplexers to be able to run a single cable. I'll be using the Dish Pro Plus Seperator on the other end for the dual tuners.

The stated value of 2150 on the Holland is good enough to work. The bigger concern is the 2A rating. That prevents any accidental burnout caused by a powered switch (such as a DPP 44). I got your IM and sent you a link. Hope that helps.

"The only one I can find with something close to having those specs is the blue holland. It has the 2 amps but only has a 5 - 2,150 Mhz rating. "

That's the only one I've seen rated 2A too.

Atlanta locals on 129

Trying to avoid dish mover need help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)