Will dishnetwork offer a universal remote upgrade since you can buy an after market

jlaavenger

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 12, 2005
Will dishnetwork offer a universal remote upgrade since you can buy an after market uhf pro remote? I want one that control up to six devices and lights up.

If only. UHF pro rawks tech-wise and sucks compatibility wise because there's no way to tap into it (I don't think dish cares to share), and that'd be nice..

The problem with the 322, 522, 625 and 942 is that TV2 is UHF ONLY, no IR . So you can't use ANY aftermarket remotes (like the Harmony) to control them .

which is why Dish should offer a better remote.

which is why Dish should offer a better remote. :mad:

jlaavenger said:
which is why Dish should offer a better remote. :mad:

If they enabled IR on TV2, there are many universal remotes to choose from . You can even use them wirelessly with their own base station or using Powermid type devices . Again the problem is that the base station uses IR to control components, but TV2 will not respond to IR .

Dish is a satellite company, not a consumer electronics manufacturer . Look at all of the problems with their DVR's compared to Tivo . They produced their own rather than license from Tivo so that they would get the profits .

I'd rather buy a remote from a remote manufacturer that knows how to make remotes because that's what they do . If Dish were to make a more sophisticated remote, I'm sure it will be as bug-ridden as their DVR's .

I use a harmony 659 to control my dish 811, comcast cable box, onyko rcvr, dvi switch, samsung dlp tv and samsung dvd player. To use it with the 811 I had to remove the uhf antenna from the back of the 811.

the 811 is only a single tuner receiver; it will accept IR or UHF signals. The 322, 522, and 625 have two remores and tow receivers the second receiver will only accept UHF signals to control it.